Warm water tuna + parastes = sashimi??????

Miss Fitz

Call me Captain
Mar 4, 2013
SD
fuck-you-and-the-horse-you-rode-in-on.com
Name
Vince
Boat
26' TwinVee Pilot House
Any meat that has those white rice grain things goes in the trash...
The highly depleted stocks of Wormccaio's (Boccacio) have tons of these. I dislike the taste of those in the first place, but the worm thing means I release every single one. Yeeeckeee!!!

Vibora

I've posted enough I should edit this section
Aug 18, 2011
Murrieta
Name
Adam
Boat
Yes
The belly area seems to be the most common spot for infestation. The rest of the fish looked fine and despite many folks despising Skipjack, I smoked it in the Traeger and turned out pretty dang good.

J.AkuHed

Jul 5, 2003
Temecula
Visit site
Name
Jim
Boat
Your boat!
Get over it! If you don't like the fact tuna has parasites, then quit killing tuna!
Sashimi, tataki, smoked, poke, spicy tuna roll, grilled tuna belly some of the reasons I kill tuna!

Reactions: ScaleyOne

Vibora

Aug 18, 2011
Murrieta
Name
Adam
Boat
Yes
Get over it! If you don't like the fact tuna has parasites, then quit killing tuna!
Sashimi, tataki, smoked, poke, spicy tuna roll, grilled tuna belly some of the reasons I kill tuna!
I'm guessing this is a general statement. I pesonally have no prob with tuna or parasites. Do you have a Poke recipe that you can share?

J.AkuHed

Jul 5, 2003
Temecula
Visit site
Name
Jim
Boat
Your boat!
I'm guessing this is a general statement. I pesonally have no prob with tuna or parasites. Do you have a Poke recipe that you can share?
Poke, I can do. The first thing I like to do is dry out out tuna cubes. I do that by towel drying the tuna, put in a bowl line with more paper towels the salt with rock salt and refrigerate for 4 hours.
What this does is it keeps the tuna from leaking more juices into the marinade, by product of this process is no more salt needed.
For 1# tuna, diced 1/2"
1tsp sesame oil
2 tsp soy sauce
1/4 tsp red pepper flakes
1/4 diced red opinion
2 green onion, chopped
1/4tsp grated fresh ginger
1/4 tsp minced garlic
Fresh ground pepper to taste
This a guide line, I don't measure!
Mix all the stuff up, refrigerate.
Pour off any liquid shake of all undissolved salt, towel dry.
Mix in marinade

http://www.medindia.net/news/health...-drugs-used-in-the-united-states-108051-1.htm

J.AkuHed

Jul 5, 2003
Temecula
Visit site
Name
Jim
Boat
Your boat!
Link is to over the counter ant-parasitic meds lol

Oldsrtfx

Paladin
Jan 17, 2010
Rocky Mountains
Name
Pete
Boat
Clackacraft
Poke, I can do. The first thing I like to do is dry out out tuna cubes. I do that by towel drying the tuna, put in a bowl line with more paper towels the salt with rock salt and refrigerate for 4 hours.
What this does is it keeps the tuna from leaking more juices into the marinade, by product of this process is no more salt needed.
For 1# tuna, diced 1/2"
1tsp sesame oil
2 tsp soy sauce
1/4 diced red opinion
2 green onion, chopped
1/4 tsp minced garlic
Mix in marinade

http://www.medindia.net/news/health...-drugs-used-in-the-united-states-108051-1.htm
Sorry, maybe I missed something or haven't made enough poke. Whats the marinade?
Thanks, pete

OnoEric

Dec 13, 2003
San Marcos
Name
Eric
Boat
Grady White 208
You can eat those larval tapeworms. I'll cut that part out and eat the rest.:)

stairman

May 16, 2009
ramona /ca/usa
Name
doug
Boat
yak and lowe duck hunting skiff but they identify as sportfishing crusiers
With all this warm water tuna being caught. And eating it raw is my preferred method. What steps do I need to take to insure my brain doesn't get eaten by some worm? I lived through the 70's 80's, I have diminished brain capacity as it is. I see in videos in Japanese fish markets where the Bluefin are so cold they have a frost layer on them as they are dragged to the block.

What is the way you guys care for your sashimi grade fish? Thank you for looking.
tell me who you voted for in 2012.....there may not be any hope for you

lkatdpelicanfly

Lizard Fish Slayer
Jun 23, 2009
sou cal
Name
Frank
Boat
Kayak
I've been eating locally caught tuna and yellowtail sashimi all season....haven't frozen it before eating it ...just chilled. I haven't had any problems with parasites....although funny thing is I've been eating twice as much food as usual since i've been really hungry these past few months. Despite eating so much..i've lost 25 lbs...go figure!

Reactions: Evan Feely

Vibora

Aug 18, 2011
Murrieta
Name
Adam
Boat
Yes
I've been eating locally caught tuna and yellowtail sashimi all season....haven't frozen it before eating it ...just chilled. I haven't had any problems with parasites....although funny thing is I've been eating twice as much food as usual since i've been really hungry these past few months. Despite eating so much..i've lost 25 lbs...go figure!
And itchy butthole as well?

Reactions: Evan Feely

michelle

-
Admin
Mar 3, 2014
Name
michelle
Boat
submarine
freeze it first for 24 hrs. I worked in a sushi joint in cali for 2.5 years rolling, and all sushi served raw in cali is previously frozen, by law. although I ate some yellow fin raw last week without freezing, uh oh.
The odds of getting a parasite from a saltwater fish is VERY slim. but freezing it for 24 hours will kill parasites. BUT I've eaten 1000's of pounds of tuna and have NEVER gotten sick. I just keep my tuna on ice until I am ready to roll tuna. You decide!

Reactions: stella marina

salty brain

Nothing but salt between the ears
Sep 25, 2012
OC
Name
Dave
Boat
what ever floats
For 1# tuna, diced 1/2"
1tsp sesame oil
2 tsp soy sauce
1/4 diced red opinion
2 green onion, chopped
1/4 tsp minced garlic
Mix in marinade

Left out Mongolian fire oil and sea weed just saying poke the shit.

Reactions: J.AkuHed

MYNomad

Heading South
Dec 12, 2007
Pacific Northwest / West Coast Mexico
Name
Rick
Boat
Yes
Been eating it fresh without freezing, the whole season. Key is how you treated the fish: 1) bleed, 2) spike, 3) cool from inside with washdown hose, 4) place in kill bag full of ice. You will end up with prime grade fish.
None of that will kill a parasite that has infected the flesh of the fish. Some can be seen, many are too small to see. Most won't hurt you. Some will f with your heart. Hook worms are a whole other deal. I had a friend who got those. Totally gross.

Reactions: Blackfish

NO4NMTL

Feb 27, 2008
Orange County
Name
Buddy
Boat
205 Conquest
The belly area seems to be the most common spot for infestation. The rest of the fish looked fine and despite many folks despising Skipjack, I smoked it in the Traeger and turned out pretty dang good.
smoke the skipjack in the Traeger when done throw the skipjack away and eat the Traeger

Reactions: Bigeasy