Warm Under Garments

Discussion in 'Washington Hunting' started by Kettel O' Fish, Nov 26, 2018.

1. Kettel O' Fish

Kettel O' Fish Well-Known "Member"

Name:
    Kurt Kettel
    Boat:
    18' Tiderunner
    Froze my ass off hunting last week in NE Washington..doubled up long underwear & thick wool pants...not good. Looking into Merino wool or UnderArmour cold gear. I walk some when I hunt but generally, I'm a sitter which can get very cold. Does anybody do similar & have great success with either product? I'm willing to spend the money but not certain exactly what to get. Thanks in advance!

2. robodad

robodad BullShitoligest

Name:
    Allen
    Boat:
    26' Olympic XLF
    When I hunted tree stands in Wisconsin I'd pack in a snowmobile suit and get in it after I got to my stand, I'd imagine you could find some insulated coveralls that you could do that with !

Maybe Larry would loan you his snuggie ?

3. JTC

JTC Too Sirius

Name:
    Jeff
    Boat:
    24' North River O/S. SIRIUS FISHIN
    Some of the coldest days I’ve ever had were in a tree stand outside Colville
    I use Patagonia Capilene from REi
    Very light and doesn’t stay wet with sweat

Adrien Baker likes this.
  4. hawksfan75

hawksfan75 More questions than answers

Name:
    Eric
    Boat:
    Hydra Sports 2200 DC
    I employ a method of lots of dark beer and cookies in the warmer months. I find that come the cold months I stay much warmer than most.

EJ Swanny and carrie's bait boy like this.
  5. South Sounder

South Sounder Skipper

Name:
    Chris
    Boat:
    South Sounder
    Same story here after my trip to NE Washington two weeks ago. I found the winning combo for me was high quality under garments that are meant to be worn under my SCUBA dry suit. My Under Armor gear gets to hot on anything longer than a short walks and will build up a little sweat. It’s thicker than Long Jon’s but I just wear thinner camo outer garments.

6. Salmon King

Salmon King I've posted enough I should edit this section

Name:
    Tim
    Boat:
    Salmon King 21' Custom Pilothouse
    Hand and toe warmers! It is amazing what a bit of heat on the extremities will do.

Elkfins, EJ Swanny and Odin7 like this.
  7. Odin7

Odin7 Odin7

Name:
    George
    Boat:
    Duckworth
    Those are the ticket! I've started using them the past two years and have been amazed by the difference they make. Put them on your socks at night, as well. Slept in the snow a couple of weeks ago at 26 degrees. What a difference!

On the long john side of things, I'd like to get a set of merino wool. Unfortunately, my uncle gave me tons of polypro when I worked for him. Much of it is still in unopened bags and I'm having a hard time buying anything new when I already have plenty of new.

The reason I want merino has to do with the stank factor. I've heard from good sources that it doesn't get and remain stanky like many of the synthetic fibers do after extended periods in the woods.

EJ Swanny likes this.
  8. wdlfbio

wdlfbio Once you go Cat, you never go back

Name:
    laurence
    Boat:
    Vacancy
    Quality merino wool will make a world of difference. Went over to FirstLite a few years ago. Wet or dry, it’s quite and warm. It’s not scratchy, doesn’t accept/retain scent too much, and dries very fast. I added tall ankle gaiters this year and that made it nice too. Just get ones with external fleece or some other quite material, not the nylon Outdoor Reaserch kind.

Ice Breakers, smartwool, etc make very good stuff too.

I like to get to my glassing/ambush point early, then sit and let the pumpkins push game to me. It, my back does not like me getting cold. Things stiffen up badly, dangerously actually. This year I packed in a XL thermacare low back disposable heat pad each day. It was good for plenty of hours and the heat on my back and kidneys was wonderful for the rest of my body too. I didn’t put it on until I got to my spot.

453DEF36-7BC9-424C-9F2C-4D0FD9908097.png

HighWildFree likes this.
  9. Ali

Ali Master of Nothing Admin

Name:
    That Guy
    Boat:
    31' Innovator
    I'm a giant pussy when it comes to being cold, yet I love to hunt so I have had to learn.

You basically need a system to keep you truly warm.

Baselayer - Merino wool is best. You can wear it for several days on end because it naturally kills bacteria. Under Armour is great stuff but it's Polyester and will stink after 1-2 days. Minus 32 merino on amazon is the best bang for the buck IMO. These are great and worn all the time from warmish to bitter cold. They keep you dry and comfy.

Insulation layer - If you still hunt. This is key. You need loft. I use a combination of Cabelas Stand hunter base layers over my merino. On top I also wear a vest with Primaloft insulation but Down works as well.

Shell Layer - Get a good, windproof and insulated set of bibs and matching jacket.

Feet - I bought electric socks from amazon and love them for stand hunting. I cover them with some Heat Holder brand socks and wear my Insulated Muck boots over the top and I'm good for long sits below freezing.

Head - Good, thick, windproof fleece beanie.

You'll sweat your balls off if you have to hike far in this outfit. If you do need to hike to get to you stand, pack the jacket and bibs and just wear the base layers on your hike.

One thing I also learned, if you're going to hunt a lot and for a long time, don't waste your money on cheap gear. It isn't as comfortable, warm or durable. I would suggest The Cabelas Stand Hunter Series for great bang for the buck. YOu can buy the stuff after the season in the bargain cave CHEAP if you keep an eye on it.

If you are serious about hunting for a long time to come, take a look at the Sitka gear. It's crazy expensive but it is the last piece you'll ever buy.

Whatever you do, don't wear cotton anything ever. It will hold moisture and in extreme conditions it can even kill you.

Best of luck.

wood2turn likes this.
  10. Nosecrets

Nosecrets Blackmouthers good side

Name:
    Blackmouther
    Boat:
    9' bullfrog "mr big"
    Kurt, under armour 2.0 long underwear, grundens fleece raingear liners and sitka pants for the legs. You can go 4.0 on the long underwear but it will get too hot if hiking a bunch. Same for the arms and torso but stay away from the cold gear or heat gear under armour. It is meant for sports on a field. I forget the brand of socks i bought but they have a -20 degree rating. Good boots and no issues.

11. carrie's bait boy

carrie's bait boy 2 hulls are better than 1

Name:
    norm
    Boat:
    32x12 ACI Cat
    I suppose I'll have to turn in my man card after this comment but... Put on some pantyhose under your long undies or wool. Keeps things moving smoothly on the walk in and will help retain heat while sitting. Just don't get caught wearing them by hunting buddies or wife. Hunting buddies will never let you live it down and the wife will probably want to turn you face down.....

bdrlgion, Fog Ducker! and liltrouble like this.
  12. Odin7

Odin7 Odin7

Name:
    George
    Boat:
    Duckworth
    I was surprised to see a guy I knew wearing panty hose and asked him when he started doing that? He said ever since his wife found a pair lying on the back seat of his car.

13. Kettel O' Fish

Name:
    Kurt Kettel
    Boat:
    18' Tiderunner
    Not sure about the panty hose but great ideas everybody---thanks so much!. I'm even thinking about those electric heated socks...man, I'm getting old!

Odin7 likes this.
  14. Kman

Kman I've posted enough I should edit this section

Name:
    Kurt
    Boat:
    Robalo R180 Trailer Trash
    I’ve blizzard camped a couple times a year for the last couple decades and was pre packing stuff for my first trip of the season. Can’t speak highly enough re: Merino wool for the base layer. It’s EXPENSIVE, but works the best and can be used for two days if you don’t sweat in it. Capilene would be my second choice. One thing that is critical is buy the long size for the top, cause you want to tuck everything in. Liners for socks and gloves also are good for extra cold days. If you’re sitting, and not active, go for some sort of insulated and wind proof pants.

My usual outfit (God, I sound like a girl!) is sock liners, then capilene long Johns over them, then HEAVY wool socks over the long johns. Then an Icebreaker Merino wool top tucked into the long johns, then a fleece pullover or zip up and insulated pants. I almost always wear a parka-length shell as the final layer. This scenario keeps me warm to single digits and medium wind. I have a regular down parka, but it is just too warm 95% of the time. Again with the parka, long is the theme. Go long, tuck things in, and you’ll avoid drafts.

BTW, I don’t wear any of this if I have to clear/shovel snow in the morning or before bed--which is most days if I planned the trip correctly. Sweating is the worst thing you can do in cold weather gear. Its detriments can de mitigated by wearing wool, poly, etc, but you will be soooo much warmer if you didn’t sweat in them in the first place. I wear crap clothes when clearing snow or doing anything strenuous, go back into the tent, cool off, then put the good stuff on.

You probably know this, but “cotton kills” is on page one of most cold weather info sites. Avoid it, along with sweating.

I like Irish Setter boots. To me, they are warmer than the best Sorels. You shouldn’t be hunting in Sorels anyway. Can’t speak for hiking any distance in the Irish Setters, as I’m usually snowshoeing.

Gloves: of course quality, but the trick for me is to have multiple pairs and alternate using them, usually with liners and hand warmers if need be. Also, I have gloves just for clearing snow off my tent and SUV and mittens for when it’s just plain f’n frigid outside.

Finally thank God for hand/foot/body warmers. I buy them by the case on Amazon. Love those things—especially if I’m going to be inactive, or am camping with a friend/kid who may not have all the quality gear I do.

I like outer layers from Mountain Hardware--compressor pants, parka shell, parka, beanie. Quality stuff that keeps you warm and is tough. Remember, if your outer wear has a DWR (durable water repellent) on it, NEVER wash them with laundry detergent. It removes the DWR, and the next time you’re in snow or rain, it will soak in and you will suffer. I refresh the DWR with Nikwax products. I also use their stuff to keep my boots and gloves waterproof.

Edit: If you are going to be sitting, sit on an insulated pad! I have a Thermorest self inflating square pad, and it is awesome for sitting on snow, or anytime it is cold out. Cold butt cheeks take forever to warm up.

Good luck

Last edited: Dec 2, 2018
    Odin7 likes this.
  15. wood2turn

wood2turn Well-Known "Member"

Name:
    Terry
    Boat:
    14’ Sterling Sea Skiff - Gypsy Queen
    Now that I have an open boat I’m having the same issue with Winter BM opening this Sat.
    I need to find something to keep me warm out there on the water.

At least until I can get a clear front panel made for the new Bimini top I just ordered.

16. Kettel O' Fish

Name:
    Kurt Kettel
    Boat:
    18' Tiderunner
    I do know this...my Muck boots are awesome in the winter in my open boat!

17. Waterdog~

Waterdog~ Just one more

Name:
    Brian
    Boat:
    Tiderunner
    Norm what they do in Canada should stay in Canada ……..eh
    I don't think our northern friends are born w those cards......LOL

liltrouble likes this.
  18. carrie's bait boy

carrie's bait boy 2 hulls are better than 1

Name:
    norm
    Boat:
    32x12 ACI Cat
    Ouch.

Waterdog~ likes this.
  19. EJ Swanny

EJ Swanny I've posted enough I should edit this section

Name:
    Erik
    Boat:
    "Riley-J" 2006 21' Proline Tourney
    Everyone nailed it. What is always important is knowing the weather (duh, yeah I know I'm a geniuso_O). Dry, stick with down, wet stick with wool, with new fabrics on the inner layers (wicking). Hiking in to a stand, peel down, do NOT sweat. Layers all the time, a good pair of insulated boots, and hand/feet warmers.

Your head is a heat sink, if you need to cool down quick, no hat. To maintain heat, wool or wool blend hat. Amazingly, a good scarf or neck warmer really bottles the heat in. I find mittens with glove liners work better than gloves.

Be safe all

Odin7 likes this.
  20. Nookie Hooker

Nookie Hooker Aquatic Slayer

Name:
    Chris
    Boat:
    Capt. Red
    UnderArmour Coldgear gets 2 thumbs down from me. Grabs hair, twists, binds, and is just uncomfortable for me. One word to that works for me: KIUI