kayakbeast33

Haven't posted enough yet
  • Mar 9, 2012
    buena park CA
    Name
    steven
    Boat
    Almost time
    Hey BD think of picking up 2 warfare 15 lw for my 7 and 8 yo. I'm taking the family on a 3/4 and my 16yo can use my lexa no problem and my wife will have to use one of my accurates. If the kids love it I will definitely get them their own setup but for now I'm thinking of a warfare 15 lw to get them started.

I was hoping for some feedback on whether or not the $80 is worth it for the trip or would a squall lw be a better fit.

Thanks in advance.

Upvote 0

Pacific Jigger

You’ll never know unless you go
    Sep 16, 2019
    United States
    Name
    Bud
    Boat
    Formula 233
    I've got two of the 15s. They aren't bad reels for the money. For $80, they're actually pretty good, as long as you're just bottom fishing.
    I originally bought them for loaner/ kid rockfish setups on my boat. The kid setup thing didn't last long (unfortunately, my kids have a real taste for high end gear), but I still keep them on standby as loaners. I've had them for 2 years now, probably a dozen trips or so worth of use and they still work and feel good. Set the handle out to the farthest hole and your kids will really have some cranking power.
    The goal with loaners was a fully capable outfit that wouldn't hurt if it got donated to Davey Jones or somehow became a casualty of the inexperienced or careless. If you want a cheap capable reel, you could do a lot worse than these.

Reactions: kayakbeast33
    Upvote 0

kayakbeast33

Haven't posted enough yet
  • Mar 9, 2012
    buena park CA
    Name
    steven
    Boat
    Almost time
    Thank you for the input... I'm hoping one of the kids or if I'm lucky all 3 will love it. I will have to set them differently if they take to it. I posted a wtb level winds but figured I wouldn't have time to get them serviced and figured for the price if they lasted a trip or 2 it might be worth it.

Reactions: Pacific Jigger
    Upvote 0

dalurker

old skool rules
    Dec 23, 2004
    Cyber Sea
    Name
    #%^&) !!!
    Boat
    my blood vessel
    one thing about the Warfare that i've noticed.
    the older models have a spool bearing that requires a "Pin Tool" to change the bearing in case the bearing fails.

i understand Penn has since changed that poor design since. take note "Before" you buy, otherwise for an entry level reel, they seemed fine... JMHO.

Reactions: kayakbeast33
    Upvote 0