Want to trade Texas trip for California trip!

scubaarchery

ScubaArchery
Dec 5, 2010
McKinney, TX
Name
Eric Dulin
I really want to do a 2-3 day trip in the summer for YFT and BFT in Cali so if you ever want to swap a trip let me know! I can definitely show you the ropes here in Texas if you do the same out there! I fish on the headboats out of Galveston which are run overnights with about 40 people. I would recommend the cooler months Oct to December to beat the heat although it’s not that bad at night. Spring is good too but the winds cancel many trips. I know many people that fish Dolphin Docks and have heard great things about them they are just a little further from me. I posted this on 360 for beginners so bear with me but thought I would share here. Let me know if you want to try it.

From Galveston we usually leave at 7am then start bottom fishing at 1-2 pm. We fish until 4 or 5 then head to the rig. We fish the rig all night and get back about 5 pm.

Tackle- I recommend three sets of gear. You can go high end with a Stella and a Custom rod or low end with a Spheros and an Ugly Stick based on your budget, preference and probability of divorce…

1. Popping rod 10000 class high gear ratio spinning reel (spheros to stella) on a 7 – 8 ft popping rod. Spool with 50lb braid. Although a topshot is probably not necessary I tie on a 10-12 ft leader of 80lb flourocarbon. I use a Stella 8K reel with a 10K spool on a Racepoint 150.

2. Jigging rod- 8000- 10000 class spinning reel with a 5-6 foot rod spooled with 50-65lb indicator braid and topshot of 80-100lb. I use a Stella 10K on a Shimano Trevala jigging rod.

3. Chunking/conventional Jigging rod- Conventional reel with capacity to hold 300yards of 65-80lb braid on a 6ft rod. I use an Aleutecnos 8v with with 50-65lb indicator braid and topshot of 80lb fluorocarbon on a Kaha 250 or Cape Cod 250 spiral wrap.

Equipment-

You will be bottom fishing on the way out and potentially back. I rig as follows for bottom fishing:

1. Combo 1- I either keep a bare hook or a jig on for Mahi or a ling or put a wire hook on for kings if they are running and I want to freeline a sardine

2. I use a chicken rig for bee-liner (vermillion snapper) I do not drop to the bottom, I usually stop about ½ way down then drop a few more feet until I get a bite. Indicator braid comes in real handy for this. If beeliner are not your thing then rig with a speed jig, diamond jig or bucktail. I used to use a snapper slapper when snapper season was longer than 15 min…

3. Single hook Grouper rig. This is the big dog. I put on live bait that we catch the night before and drop it to the bottom then reel up 1 crank and hang on…

We will run until about 2 pm then fish for about 4 hours and hit several spots from 15 min to 1 hour (until the bite slows) for bottom fish. Limits vary by species but are 20 for vermillion snapper (b liner). I start with Combo 3 first to catch the big dogs, then if not go to 2. 1 is something that I have in case mahi or ling show up. We should have a mess of fish 10-20 per person before we head to the rigs. I have caught a limit of beeliner before…

We will then make a run to the tuna rigs for the night. This is my normal set up:

Combo 1- popper or Halco 130.

Combo 2- jig- drop to 60 then jig up, drop to 100 then jig to 60 then drop to 150 then jig to 100… watch your line, if it stops on the drop (and it will) set the hook. You are in 2000 feet of water. I use primarily speed jigs and herring jigs. I use 5-14 oz depending on current. We sometimes catch bigeye deep (400ft)

Combo 3- bare hook for chunk bait or yummee flying fish. If chunking, bury your hook in the bait so tuna cannot see it, throw it in with 5-6 other pieces and freeline quickly to let if float away from the boat. The line will take off from your hand then just engage the reel. If yummee, let it float away, reel in for 15 to create a splash then freeline it more…

Normally what I do is throw swimbaits/poppers first to pick up yellowfin, if not on top then switch to jigs and catch blackfin / yellows and use blackfin for chunk. Jigging and popping wears you out. When I get tired, I chunk to relax and take a breather.

I have caught up to 20 blackfin in a night. I usually only keep the larger ones and use the smaller ones for bait. I caught 3 YFT (limit) and stopped fishing last time so other people could use my gear but could have caught many more because they were there.

If you decide to go, fly into Houston and you are and hour from Galveston. I clean and bag my tuna at home but could bring a food saver and process at the docks so you can freeze overnight and ship home. There are no fish processing options in Galveston. There are guys that will clean your fish but I don’t use them.

scubaarchery

ScubaArchery
Dec 5, 2010
McKinney, TX
Name
Eric Dulin
A 30 hour is $350.

TanstaaflSD

I've posted enough I should edit this section
Dec 3, 2013
San Diego, CA, USA
Name
Tanstaafl
Boat
n/a
I live in SD and often fish the 3/4 day boats (5am ~ 6 pm) to the Mexican - Coronado Islands, I have fished a number of 2 and 3 day trips, as well as going on two long range / multi-day trips a year. If you get this way, I will be happy to buy you a beer and chat about fishing.
You stand a good chance of entering Mexican waters, so bring your PASSPORT.
There are several good landings in SD and many good boats. I think our best general fishing is August thru November...others will disagree....depends on the species you seek and if tuna, the size you want. The 2 to 3 day boats run from 65 ft to 80~85 ft. Generally longer/bigger is more stable and has more room. Also be sure it has refrigerated fish holds. We have good near-the-docks processors to prep, freeze, ship your catch - if wanted.
If you can afford it, some of the Long Range boats do short trips 2 or 3 or 4 days - to fill out schedules or as intro trips -- there are about 10 to 12 of these boats at 3 or 4 landings in San Diego. It would be a really sweet trip on one of these "Long Range" boats (Independence, Royal Polaris, Vagabond, Excel, etc...)
My daughter and husband just moved to North Dallas -- so I will save your post and may get in touch when we go to Texas to visit -- if OK with you.
Tight lines.

scubaarchery

ScubaArchery
Dec 5, 2010
McKinney, TX
Name
Eric Dulin
That would be fantastic! I sent you a PM. I would like to try a trip next year and should be able to get you out in the Gulf if weather cooperates.

scubaarchery

ScubaArchery
Dec 5, 2010
McKinney, TX
Name
Eric Dulin
I was reading some of the multi day reports about fishing in SoCal and one thing that is different here is that you will be constantly catching fish. When we bottom fish on the way out, when you drop, you normally get bit on every drop, the key is whether the fish is legal to keep and if you want it (e.g. I throw trigger fish back even though they are legal and tasty because I will have plenty of other fish). When the bite slows the boat moves. Since the rigs concentrate the tuna, there are normally plenty of blackfin (smaller but tasty) with a few yellows mixed in on every drift. I fish top water and swimbaits to target the yellows and bigger blacks so don’t get bit every cast but generally get 3 the opportunity for 3-5 yellows per trip. You could catch blackfin on a jig all night... if there are no tuna the boat will move to another rig. Just like in any fishing there are a few trips that suck but for the most part, these are catching trips not fishing trips.

SemperFishing

Apr 26, 2007
Austin, TX
Name
Dave
Boat
Prefer Long Range or skiffs (great if combined!)
Awesome offer! I'm from So Cal and fished extensively for just about everything and then lived in Austin TX for 3 years and am moving back to start a business. I have yet to fish the boats out of Galveston/Corpus but have always wanted to. I'll send you a PM, any questions about fishing SD and boats please hit me up.

cchris

Oct 2, 2014
Name
Cris
Boat
friends :)
Eric is a great guy, although I have been in Texas for almost 3 years I met him this fall when we went tuna fishing in Louisiana. You are hard pressed to find a nicer guy and a pretty fishy person. If you guys come to visit Texas I would also be interested in showing you around and go fishing, talk tackle and explain my experience with popping gear( I have been in love with throwing topwaters for tuna since 2009). I usually fish the floaters 3-4 times a year and exclusively topwater. Not interested at this time to do any trips in Cali.

kirkmd202

Mar 26, 2011
Redondo Beach
Name
kirk
Boat
Naked Striper
I just moved to Frisco from LA and used to make the runs to the tuna grounds.

I would suggest since your only talking one trip go big and jump on a smaller six pack that will cater to your target species and not focus on fish counts. Picking up small yt off a paddy pumps the numbers up but pales in comparison to targeting tuna. That's my two cents.

If I was still here and had a boat I would have been happy to take you out. It's a blast but bft are tough and lots of show and no go for me this past year.

Try and ho for a fishy crew and you will get an authentic experience.

scubaarchery

ScubaArchery
Dec 5, 2010
McKinney, TX
Name
Eric Dulin
Thanks. I like right down the street from you in Allen... do you work for Toyota seems like a lot of folks moved here from Torrance. We have a great YFT fishery here on the New Buccaneer out of Galveston. I posted the same post on 360 tuna. If you ever want to learn the ropes here let me know. I am heading to OBX this March and will try puerta Vallarta next year for YFT if I get my cow BFT. New Buccaneer has been doing really well. I am sure there are some private charters but there are few with the range of the new Buccaneer

https://www.360tuna.com/threads/beginners-guide-to-gom-partyboat-fishing-for-tuna.49616/

https://www.360tuna.com/threads/new-buccaneer-fall-2017-tuna-schedule.49348/page-9