Want to target beans. What gear do I need.

Cheese Burt

Jun 8, 2021
San Diego
Name
Charlie Cohen
Boat
Who ever will take me out
Going to be new to fishing beans this summer and I dont have any lite gear. Any recomendations on a spinning reel under 70$?

Reactions: jiggermyster

d105

Almost A Member
Dec 16, 2011
SoCal
Name
d105
Boat
Fish Cat 4
4#-6# leader with a 4 or 6 hook works well. A 1000 or 2500 sized reel is all you need. For that $70 price range, the Shimano Sedona is one of the more popular models. By the way, the 2500 would probably be more versatile for surf fishing in case you want to bump up the line to 8#. Tails up!

Here's 19.5" bean from about 10 days ago on the Sedona 2500.

IMG_0896.jpg

Last edited:

dsl

I Should Upgrade My Account
  • Nov 20, 2017
    California
    Name
    Larry S
    Boat
    Landlover
    4#-6# leader with a 4 or 6 hook works well. A 1000 or 2500 sized reel is all you need. For that $70 price range, the Shimano Sedona is one of the more popular models. By the way, the 2500 would probably be more versatile for surf fishing in case you want to bump up the line to 8#. Tails up!

Here's 19.5" bean from about 10 days ago on the Sedona 2500.

View attachment 1289102
    👌

Reactions: Cheese Burt
    Upvote 0

FNNBONES

Mar 5, 2009
    SFV
    Name
    Mike
    Boat
    My Feet
    Not really a question of what kind of gear. There are tons of articles on bean hunting on the internet. The real question is developing the patience to actually target them and be successful consistently ...LOL
    I only catch the famous "Spookess Maximus" by accident when targeting other species!

Good luck out there!

Reactions: Cheese Burt
    Upvote 0

scamory

May 31, 2011
    Valencia CA US
    Name
    John
    Boat
    none :c
    The beans have been around 20-30ft from shore during low tide these days around Ventura/Oxnard area. With a size 4 hook, put on a large softy sand crab or put 2-3 smaller ones. Sand crabs are everywhere these days so feel free to dig into the sand haha.

I think Penn Battalions are pretty decent reels for the price that can take a whole lotta surf damage (don't invest too much into surf gear cause the sand and water is brutal)

Upvote 0