Want to fish PV pangas- going solo

Picklepork

May 29, 2012
Ventura, CA
Name
Gabriel
Boat Name
Can't afford
Headed to Puerto Vallarta the first week of Sept 2022 on a week long vacation with the wife. I'd like to do some inshore fishing 2-3 days on a panga. I'm going solo, so I'm looking to support some smaller quality panga charters and make it affordable since I'm not sharing the cost.

Anyone have a direct line to some good captains/pangas in PV? Im looking to spend $250-$400 for a full day....if thats possible. I'm looking to do some SPJ, stickbaits/poppers, and troll for a bit. I plan to bring my own gear. Note, I'm not looking for cow tuna.

I appreciate any leads!

Thank you!

Upvote 0

LarryHaynes

Love to fish!
  • Jun 22, 2010
    San Antonio, TX, USA
    Name
    Larry Haynes
    Boat Name
    None
    This is probably more information than you are looking for, but want to give you the information you need to know.

If you are staying in PV proper or Nuevo Vallarta, I don’t think you can get the job done at that price. Well, unless you want a boat ride.

One of the reasons it’s more expensive is PV is pretty far from the more productive fishing grounds (El Banco and La Roca) for that time of year. Meaning more gas and time equals a higher price.

If you drive out to Punta Mita from Vallarta, you might be able to do 1/2-3/4 of a day in the $400s….but that’s just a guess.

If you are interested in sharing the boat/cost, you will be in a better position to get what you want, and enjoy the experience more.

Do you know that September is the rainy season? Expect it to rain almost every afternoon and evening. Also, expect a panga ride to be a crazy bumpy/rainy ride back to PV.

I’ve fished PV in September on multiple occasions, and have caught some epic fish, but I was on a boat that you can get out of the rain.

The most popular guys on this platform are Capt Lora, Danny Gomez, and the Osuna brothers. I’ve personally never fished with them, but they come HIGHLY recommended.

The last few times I’ve fished out of PV, I fished with Capt Torres. Here’s this website: https://puertovallartafish.com/charters.html

The guy that manages this website has lots options, and might even have someone looking to share a ride. Speaking of that, the guys mentioned above might have someone looking to share as well.

If you post something on the mainland Mexico forum about sharing a ride, I’m sure a few guys will help you out.

Cheers and luck!

Larry Haynes

Last edited:
    Upvote 0

Picklepork

May 29, 2012
    Ventura, CA
    Name
    Gabriel
    Boat Name
    Can't afford
    Thanks for replies and suggestions.

We are staying south of PV near Garza Blanca. I'm going to contact Capt Torres and Jamy Langlier. Thanks.

Any other suggestions or recommendations are appreciated.

Reactions: LarryHaynes
    Upvote 0

sammyvelvet

• Aug 8, 2013
    long beach
    Name
    sammy
    Boat Name
    no
    My buddy and I have fished the Pangas out of PV a couple of times. Do not expect it to be anything like BAJA fishing. lots of bait sized fish and caught a lot of Jacks from 5-10 lbs .. but we found it was not worth the money for the fishing aspect .. but it was beautiful seeing PV from the ocean view. We take our travel rods and fish the shorelines just south of old vallarta .. we actually stay at GARZA BLANCA and fish right out front ... and had a great time .. caught everything from sheep head to red snapper and tons of small groupers .. its mostly catch and release for us and we are up early and fishing while the wives sleep .. then about 9 am the bite turns off and we can spend rest of day doing what they want .. so if you want more detailed information just message me ... and you can fish anywhere from the shore in mexico ... no one owns the land 60 meters from the tide line so dont let them tell you that you cannot fish the shore ....
    good luck save your money from going on the pangas and get your self a good travel rod and reel and tackle .. you will enjoy it ... we do

Upvote 0

frijolito

Aug 10, 2020
    washington
    Name
    kurt
    Boat Name
    yes
    My buddy and I have fished the Pangas out of PV a couple of times. Do not expect it to be anything like BAJA fishing. lots of bait sized fish and caught a lot of Jacks from 5-10 lbs .. but we found it was not worth the money for the fishing aspect .. but it was beautiful seeing PV from the ocean view. We take our travel rods and fish the shorelines just south of old vallarta .. we actually stay at GARZA BLANCA and fish right out front ... and had a great time .. caught everything from sheep head to red snapper and tons of small groupers .. its mostly catch and release for us and we are up early and fishing while the wives sleep .. then about 9 am the bite turns off and we can spend rest of day doing what they want .. so if you want more detailed information just message me ... and you can fish anywhere from the shore in mexico ... no one owns the land 60 meters from the tide line so dont let them tell you that you cannot fish the shore ....
    good luck save your money from going on the pangas and get your self a good travel rod and reel and tackle .. you will enjoy it ... we do
    youve been fishing the wrong pangas then amigo. the good ones get on it and get it done

Upvote 0

sammyvelvet

• Aug 8, 2013
    long beach
    Name
    sammy
    Boat Name
    no
    youve been fishing the wrong pangas then amigo. the good ones get on it and get it done
    Then who would you suggest? ... 3 times for us 3 different pangas ... was not worth it ... and we know .. we fish all of Baja and other parts of mexico ... im talking about from the PV Marina ...

Upvote 0

Steve Scherling

My bobber not yours
    Jul 7, 2019
    Land o Plenty
    Name
    Ace Jefferies
    Boat Name
    SS wishing
    Then who would you suggest? ... 3 times for us 3 different pangas ... was not worth it ... and we know .. we fish all of Baja and other parts of mexico ... im talking about from the PV Marina ...
    I fished with Danny Gomez out of la cruz today and it was epic. Wound on 20-50 class tunas till my back was done. Him and his boy are hard working mo fo's and will fish with you till you call it.

Upvote 0

Steve Scherling

My bobber not yours
    Jul 7, 2019
    Land o Plenty
    Name
    Ace Jefferies
    Boat Name
    SS wishing
    Here you go

20220617_113453.jpg

20220617_094707.jpg

20220617_163849.jpg

20220617_122420.jpg

Upvote 0

frijolito

Aug 10, 2020
    washington
    Name
    kurt
    Boat Name
    yes
    All the way! It was close to a couple hour ride out but it was pretty rough. 11 hour day after it was all said and done.
    the rock or el banco? im there early july fishing with brother danny, hopefully we can bridle up a 10lbr and set some steel on a big black
    my body is so messed up danny jr will probably be put to work reeling it all in....im all about the hookset then its all anticlimax after that till im processing and cooking the harvest

Last edited:
    Upvote 0

Steve Scherling

My bobber not yours
    Jul 7, 2019
    Land o Plenty
    Name
    Ace Jefferies
    Boat Name
    SS wishing
    The rock. There was a typhoon or hurricane that had rolled through but offshore a ways the day before and the further we went the bigger it got. Make sure his tuna tubes are working. You should have a blast.

Reactions: frijolito
    Upvote 0

frijolito

Aug 10, 2020
    washington
    Name
    kurt
    Boat Name
    yes
    The rock. There was a typhoon or hurricane that had rolled through but offshore a ways the day before and the further we went the bigger it got. Make sure his tuna tubes are working. You should have a blast.
    cool thanks. tuna tubes or not I could paddle a canoe out with danny and we would have a great time, A panga without tunatube failure is not really a panga...lol

Upvote 0