Want to Borrow left handed round reel (and rod) tuna set-up

bducky

Jul 31, 2017
elma
Name
bob
Boat
20 ft duckworth
Laurence was kind enough to lend us a left retrieve set-up for Melanie for our trip on Sept. 24th with Mark Coleman, I'm hoping someone else might have another lefty for me to use, glad to cover damage or loss, I live in Elma, let me know if you can help a left retrieve kind of guy. I fractured the meta carpus bone in my left wrist when I was young so having the rod in that hand is an issue. Thanks, Bob

litzsout619

Jan 29, 2009
Sitka//619/Kalama
Name
Jason
Boat
ORCA 31'
Every six pack outfit I know carries an arsenal set up both for lefties and righties? Is there something about Mark Coleman’s operations that’s different?

bducky

Jul 31, 2017
elma
Name
bob
Boat
20 ft duckworth
Ye
Every six pack outfit I know carries an arsenal set up both for lefties and righties? Is there something about Mark Coleman’s operations that’s different?
I was told by Mark's wife when we made our reservations that they no longer have left handed retrieve reels because "then everyone wants one". I was surprised at this answer.

bducky

Jul 31, 2017
elma
Name
bob
Boat
20 ft duckworth
I can only repeat what I was personally told. I have hit this problem for three guided trips over the years, one at Lake Chelan 15 years ago, 3 days in Alaska last year, and now with Marl Coleman. I have never had a guide who took care of his clients who use left handed retrieve reels.

Waterdog~

Just one more
Sep 1, 2009
Hollywood
Name
Brian
Boat
Tiderunner
I have never had a guide who took care of his clients who use left handed retrieve reels.
……...hence learn to reel the "right" way...…...LOL

bducky

Jul 31, 2017
elma
Name
bob
Boat
20 ft duckworth
……...hence learn to reel the "right" way...…...LOL
As I pointed out in above post, I have a broken Meta Carpus in my left wrist, bone graft when I was young. You think I should struggle? What kind of response is that? Nice of you to be so understanding of someone's limitations due to injury.

Siv

I've posted enough I should edit this section
May 8, 2008
Normandy Park Wa
Name
Dave
Boat
19' SeaSport
Ye

I was told by Mark's wife when we made our reservations that they no longer have left handed retrieve reels because "then everyone wants one". I was surprised at this answer.
This is true, as good of an operation as they run they do not carry lefty reels on the boats. Had pretty much the same response when we went out with him 2 years ago.

bducky

Jul 31, 2017
elma
Name
bob
Boat
20 ft duckworth
sounds like you may want to invest/travel with a few of your own.
Like I should invest how many hundreds of dollars for our 1st tuna trip and it's a charter? Lend me the cash for which I'll gladly pay you on Tuesday. By the way, all our salmon, bottom fishing, freshwater reels, etc. ARE left handed retrieve. And when (not if!) we start going out for tuna ourselves (or do more charters) We will buy good shit!

Reactions: dragonballs

TonyG

I've posted enough I should edit this section
Nov 19, 2010
Snohomish, WA
Name
Tony
Boat
NR Seahawk OS 26'; 20' Alumaweld Super Vee Sled
Actually we are right handed, I prefer to put the rod on my dominant arm, makes more sense to me and my wife.
You missed the joke. If he has only right crank, people must be left handed - by your exact logic in reverse.

I have all left crank because I want my strong arm fighting and my cripple hand cranking. I can do both but I'm right handed. I like that hand doing the heavy lifting. Somehow I seem to be in the minority based on the fleet as well as reel availability.

Reactions: JTC

G-Spot

Captain
Mar 14, 2008
Salem/OR/USA
Name
John
Boat
53’ Hatteras STEEL N TIME
As I pointed out in above post, I have a broken Meta Carpus in my left wrist, bone graft when I was young. You think I should struggle? What kind of response is that? Nice of you to be so understanding of someone's limitations due to injury.
Yes struggle! Lol! Really, does sound kinda lame... I preferred left hand reels for a long time, but when I started catching big fish they only offered big game reels in right hand, so I quickly learned... If your so gravel you can’t reel with a right handed reel from a childhood injury maybe you should get an electric.... :-)...... I’m just messing with you mostly.... before you get your panties in a wad

Reactions: pacificscout

TexMojoII

Well, Shit!
Jul 18, 2010
Lacey, Washington
Name
Larry
Boat
Parker 2820
As I pointed out in above post, I have a broken Meta Carpus in my left wrist, bone graft when I was young. You think I r should struggle? What kind of response is that? Nice of you to be so understanding of someone's limitations due to injury.
I sympathize for your disability, but just buy yourself rigs that you are comfortable with.

bducky

Jul 31, 2017
elma
Name
bob
Boat
20 ft duckworth
I sympathize for your disability, but just buy yourself rigs that you are comfortable with.
I am so glad that there are upstanding folks on this site that will help a fellow B.D.er out by lending him gear that he may not need again depending on whether or not he pursues this particular fishery again. As for the folks who tell me to buy that same gear without knowing if it will be used again, thanks for such unreasonable advice, I'll store it where such "opinions "belong.( long sound of flushing).

TooManyHobbies

The guy that makes the glass stuff
May 10, 2010
White trashville
Name
Garrett
Boat
21' SeaRay Laguna CC "Sea 'Scape"
Hey Bob, buy a lefty mxl, mxj, or sx. Single speed with the cast control or not. All will work great for salmon, bottom fish, etc. or just use what you already have!! A quality level wind will do the trick for a trip or two; I have a Tekota 600 lc that’s boated plenty of albies. Fuck, I almost did it on a barbie rod/reel. Sorry, those only come in rh....

Real tuna gear costs $$. Step up, get some quality stuff, and have fun!

Also, grow some thicker skin. Getting bent ‘cause people tell you shit you don’t want to hear on this site won’t help you at all. Or argue all you want. Whatever..

wdlfbio

Once you go Cat, you never go back
Sep 15, 2008
maple valley, wa
Name
laurence
Boat
Vacancy
That spinning set up is no slouch.

bducky

Jul 31, 2017
elma
Name
bob
Boat
20 ft duckworth
Hey Bob, buy a lefty mxl, mxj, or sx. Single speed with the cast control or not. All will work great for salmon, bottom fish, etc. or just use what you already have!! A quality level wind will do the trick for a trip or two; I have a Tekota 600 lc that’s boated plenty of albies. Fuck, I almost did it on a barbie rod/reel. Sorry, those only come in rh....

Real tuna gear costs $$. Step up, get some quality stuff, and have fun!

Also, grow some thicker skin. Getting bent ‘cause people tell you shit you don’t want to hear on this site won’t help you at all. Or argue all you want. Whatever..
Yeah, I should just bring one of my level wind reels, After Mark Coleman told me to not bring level winds. As far as arguing, yeah, I get it . Dealing with trolls like you is pointless.

Reactions: pacificscout

JTC

Too Sirius
Aug 13, 2012
Redmond Wa
Name
Jeff
Boat
24' North River O/S. SIRIUS FISHIN
You guys are tough!
I am lending Bob a rod with an Accurate valiant.
I think in the long run it will cost him at least $600 when he decides he needs one, unless he decides he needs two!

wdlfbio

Once you go Cat, you never go back
Sep 15, 2008
maple valley, wa
Name
laurence
Boat
Vacancy
Bv 300 or 400? Those little bastards are sweet, and spendy! Love my 400. Way to set the bar low.... hahahaha

JTC

Too Sirius
Aug 13, 2012
Redmond Wa
Name
Jeff
Boat
24' North River O/S. SIRIUS FISHIN
Bv 300 or 400? Those little bastards are sweet, and spendy! Love my 400. Way to set the bar low.... hahahaha
BV 400 L
Really nice reels, small, high gear ratio, with lots of power
And yes all right handed people should reel with a left handed reel, when you use a spinning reel you reel with your left hand, when using a bait caster you reel with your left hand, it doesn’t make sense to switch your reeling hand for one type of fishing.
I am positive that we all agree on this!

Reactions: FishPimpII

G-Spot

Captain
Mar 14, 2008
Salem/OR/USA
Name
John
Boat
53’ Hatteras STEEL N TIME
As far as arguing, yeah, I get it . Dealing with trolls like you is pointless.
Yet here you are acting like a prick and being pointless.... hmm..... you are just a defensive prick, with thin skin..... Just like your freak out on The classifieds when someone was funnin about with Todd and you got all defensive....

Maybe you should take up sewing and join a sewing forum.... :-)

bducky

Jul 31, 2017
elma
Name
bob
Boat
20 ft duckworth
Yet here you are acting like a prick and being pointless.... hmm..... you are just a defensive prick, with thin skin..... Just like your freak out on The classifieds when someone was funnin about with Todd and you got all defensive....

Maybe you should take up sewing and join a sewing forum.... :-)
Hmm, another troll. You perfectly fit the description.