Want fishing hints: Thursday/Friday heading to Catalina for the first time, from Sunset Aquatic

Charts

Nothing demonstrates hope better than fishing.
  • Aug 22, 2015
    San Diego
    Name
    Charts
    Boat
    arima sea explorer 16
    Experienced open-sea boater, but taking my boat solo to Catalina for the first time, launching out of Sunset Aquatic in Huntington Harbor on Thursday morning.

This is mostly a familiarization trip ,but will do some fishing!

Plan to run over to Catalina from Huntington Harbor and try for some YT. Was thinking of trying first around Long Point (south and east of the MPA, of course). Maybe poke my head into Ripper's cove to see what that's like. Then working my way up the coast (staying out of MPA's) toward Two Harbors. Grab a mooring there when I'm tired for the day.

On Friday, head back toward the mainland in the morning and try for Halibut (if there is any) closer to the ramp. Are there Halibut in the flats outside Seal Beach/Sunset Beach/Huntington harbor? And get out of the water fairly early. Will still need to drag the boat down to San Diego on Friday afternoon (yuck).

Feedback or hints on the fishing locations at Catalina or off Seal Beach/Huntington?

Reactions: kbray001
    Upvote 0

Charts

• Aug 22, 2015
    San Diego
    Name
    Charts
    Boat
    arima sea explorer 16
    And what's the right tide station for Sunset Aquatic? The Los Patos bridge? LB inner harbor?

Upvote 0

flytie

Oct 20, 2012
    Orange, CA USA
    Name
    GC
    Boat
    Out of Office - Custom Invader CC
    Experienced open-sea boater, but taking my boat solo to Catalina for the first time, launching out of Sunset Aquatic in Huntington Harbor on Thursday morning.

This is mostly a familiarization trip ,but will do some fishing!

Plan to run over to Catalina from Huntington Harbor and try for some YT. Was thinking of trying first around Long Point (south and east of the MPA, of course). Maybe poke my head into Ripper's cove to see what that's like. Then working my way up the coast (staying out of MPA's) toward Two Harbors. Grab a mooring there when I'm tired for the day.

On Friday, head back toward the mainland in the morning and try for Halibut (if there is any) closer to the ramp. Are there Halibut in the flats outside Seal Beach/Sunset Beach/Huntington harbor? And get out of the water fairly early. Will still need to drag the boat down to San Diego on Friday afternoon (yuck).

Feedback or hints on the fishing locations at Catalina or off Seal Beach/Huntington?
    I've not seen a lot of YT action at Cat recently. Dogs are huge and plentiful, making quick work of anything playing on the line for any length of time.

Head to the West End and slow troll or drop an anchor and chum/chunk and long soak. School sized BFT been caught right in front of the quarry in 100' of water, about 60 yards from shore for the past few weeks.

Also, pull off of the West End a bit and drift on the Slide. Again, chum/chunk and long soaks are the key. Schools are really gun shy right now and boat pressure is pushing them down.

Tons of B's at Eagle right now. The Bonita are good sized but the Bones are a nuisance. Must have retied 20 hooks in an hour or two for four fishing. Fun to pull on but wreck gear. Bass are small on Eagle right now.

Upvote 0

surfgoose

active geezer
  • Jul 29, 2010
    Long Beach, CA, USA
    Name
    Gary
    Boat
    whichever has the longest bunk
    X2 what flytie said. In a small boat I would definitely plan on keeping moving slowly, just walking the bait behind the boat. The sea lions hear an anchor going down and it rings the dinner bell for them.

There are lots of halibut along the beaches, but mostly in water too shallow for safe single-handed boating. They are targeting the smelt and other small fish, who mostly are staying in thirty feet or less of water, and that is awfully close to the sand. My young nephew free-dives for them with a Hawaiian sling spear and almost always returns with a nice fish.

Reactions: flytie and Charts
    Upvote 0

Omarkayak

I've posted enough I should know better...
    Jul 26, 2007
    Northridge, CA
    Name
    Donald W. Clarke III
    Boat
    11+ ft, Ocean Kayak Scrambler, P 'N' Queue Pod
    East is east and west is west and ne'er the twain shall meet...

Good fishin'!
    BDC OK

Reactions: Charts
    Upvote 0

Charts

• Aug 22, 2015
    San Diego
    Name
    Charts
    Boat
    arima sea explorer 16
    ...right in front of the quarry in 100' of water, about 60 yards from shore for the past few weeks.

Had a blast out at Catalina Thursday/Friday. Only caught two short sculpins and one short calico but that's way better than being skunked! :) Very fun though. On way back to mainland stopped on birds/patties and made some huge marks, but they didn't seem interested in what I was selling.

At the island, trolled around the west end but didn't see any signs of life out there (human or otherwise) except one lone seagull on a rock and a blowboat way off in the distance.

Where is this quarry you were speaking of? I assumed I would see something that looked like a quarry out by the west end but didn't. Googling only showed me an active one by the east end or an abandoned one that's in an MPA.

Upvote 0
    May 13, 2004
    Long Beach and points due west
    Name
    Bob Ballew
    Boat
    2520 Parker with twin 200 Yamahas
    ...The fishy quarry is on inside east end of Cat below Avalon, although there is another quarry near Empire Landing...the quarry on the east end has a dropoff with passing yellowtail, bonito, occasional wsb and scattered tuna....best gamefish action is a mile or so off the east end heading south along the ridge or go out off the west side a few miles to blue water...there are tuna and dorado out there...
    ...We rent a mooring in Avalon to sleep well and use it as a base to head out to the spots early am...lots easier than checking the anchor all night long....
    ...I try to make runs just before an early am and late afternoon high tide...that is when the fish come up to feed...Mackeral Bank between Catalina and San Clemente island is another good area...I use Tempbreak.com to narrow down the areas to fish...good if you know how to read the chloro and temp edges to find fish..
    ...Once the afternoon winds start, Two Harbors area often is too rough to fish comfortably...Inside Long Point and down toward Avalon is the cutoff to fish without getting beat up by the swells and wind...

Last edited:
    Reactions: Noah & Scoot
    Upvote 0