mokahehteh

Waterman
Sep 29, 2004
Orange County
Name
Randy
Boat
21' Custom Half Cab
Such a unique ride, how much does the cab weigh?

I never weighed the cab but I do know this... I was able to military press the cab before I glassed it onto the the hull.

The ride is a lot better than with the tower (much less wind drag) and much better than without superstructure. When running, it seems like headwind presses down on the front windows and the forward raked roof and somehow has the effect of steadying the hull in the water? Totally different feel as conpared to the tuna tower. And I dig it!

Reactions: tanner.s
Upvote 0

tanner.s

Fish Slaughterer
Oct 18, 2012
San Diego
Name
Tanner
Boat
1997 Proline 23 W/A
I never weighed the cab but I do know this... I was able to military press the cab before I glassed it onto the the hull.

The ride is a lot better than with the tower (much less wind drag) and much better than without superstructure. When running, it seems like headwind presses down on the front windows and the forward raked roof and somehow has the effect of steadying the hull in the water? Totally different feel as conpared to the tuna tower. And I dig it!
That's awesome, sounds like you made the right decision. Not a decision many want to take on a boat on good condition!

Reactions: mokahehteh
Upvote 0

mokahehteh

Waterman
Sep 29, 2004
Orange County
Name
Randy
Boat
21' Custom Half Cab
That's awesome, sounds like you made the right decision. Not a decision many want to take on a boat on good condition!

Yep. Zero regrets!

But yeah, a backyard build like this is not for everyone. Plus, not many guys are as bananaz as I am anyway :)

Upvote 0

jspana

Cali*Co
Jul 28, 2014
laverne
Name
Joe
Boat
Humble1 222 C-Hawk sport cabin
Are you going to adress the seal issues on the boxes or just deal with it like I am??

Upvote 0

mokahehteh

Waterman
Sep 29, 2004
Orange County
Name
Randy
Boat
21' Custom Half Cab
Yes and how they collect rain water and wash down water etc.

I haven't had that problem with mine. I think its because the cover lip mates well with the bottom of the "gutter" and doesn't let water past it. But I think the "feel" could be made better (instead of the gritty sound of a bare fiberglass edge on gelcoat) by adding a seal to either the perimeter of the cover lip edge or a "picture frame" seal on the flat underside of the box lid that would mate with the high perimeter of the gutter. Make sense?

Upvote 0

jspana

Cali*Co
Jul 28, 2014
laverne
Name
Joe
Boat
Humble1 222 C-Hawk sport cabin
Yeah, it's one of the known issues with this boat. Mine fill up constantly to the point that they are useless as fish holds and they are not insulated to boot. We use a kill bag in one for the fish. I plan on using a seal on the lids similar to the one you find on a car door openeing

Upvote 0

mokahehteh

Waterman
Sep 29, 2004
Orange County
Name
Randy
Boat
21' Custom Half Cab
awesome glad to see it got a second life.

Right on, John!

Here's the result of what has become the last of two metal fab tweaks... dry fit check #2 coming up. Looks good to go!

Next step, primer & paint the rocket launcher, drill the mounting hardware holes and the related fiberglass mods (to eliminate local coring at screw holes)...

20160415_150739.jpg 20160415_150245.jpg

Reactions: FatBoy4130
Upvote 0

tanner.s

Fish Slaughterer
Oct 18, 2012
San Diego
Name
Tanner
Boat
1997 Proline 23 W/A
I like the look of the shiny aluminum... Maybe I should strip off the paint, shine it up a bit and then put a clear coat on it? Any thoughts on this?
I'd personally want to strip it, polished metal looks good. Not sure about clear coating, never heard of doing that to aluminum parts, are you thinking epoxy spray/dip?

Sent from my SM-G925V using Tapatalk

Upvote 0

mokahehteh

Waterman
Sep 29, 2004
Orange County
Name
Randy
Boat
21' Custom Half Cab
I'd personally want to strip it, polished metal looks good. Not sure about clear coating, never heard of doing that to aluminum parts, are you thinking epoxy spray/dip?

Sent from my SM-G925V using Tapatalk

Hey Tanner, I'm thinking clear powdercoat!

:)

Upvote 0

chatt

Chasing fish
May 8, 2012
Lompoc, Pt. Arguello Ca.
Name
chatt
Boat
Radon 21
Time to beef up the fish box lids! Patched a few small dings & deck damage/holes with glass filled putty. Just laminated the outside surfaces with cloth and then zippered off the edges.

View attachment 752712
image.jpeg
just wanted to show an idea. It's hard too see but I had my deck hatches (the gutter/wells) connected with fiberglass tubing so that water drains from deck gutters straight out through the transom. Allot of work but that solved that problem. image.png

Upvote 0

chatt

Chasing fish
May 8, 2012
Lompoc, Pt. Arguello Ca.
Name
chatt
Boat
Radon 21
Sylvester and Carlos have the flush hatch thing DOWN, that can NOT be easy to get that right time after time, but nail every one I've ever seen.
Yeah Jeff u are absolutely right. Watching them do the hatches was nothing like I would have thought. They take all gutters and before making them into a frame they glass the pieces separately. It's definetly the old addege been there done that time and time again they have perfected it. Oh and by the way I pic up my skiff on Tuesday baby!!!!!

Upvote 0

Latest posts