anykine77

Almost A Member
Dec 7, 2005
Waianae Hawaii
Name
Ron
Boat Name
28' Custom-Anykine
I see it in the Ahi threads and I noticed this past weekend the reduced spigots at the wash down rack in Waianae. I emailed the Harbor Master Joseph Simpliciano regarding this and asking for an explanation. This was his response.

Aloha Ron,
We were told by the Board of Water Supply that we are wasting water at the Waianae SBH. They issued a drought notice and we were told to go down from 10 hose bibbs at the wash down to 5 hose bibbs because the island is in a drought. If you have anymore questions please let me know. Mahalo

Very Respectfully,
Joseph K. Simpliciano Jr
85-491 Farrington Highway
Waianae, Hawaii 96792
(808)697-7095 Ph.
(808)697-7096 Fax

I sent a follow-up email regarding the unauthorized users and am awaiting a response.

Aloha
Ron

Upvote 0

abdiver7777

abdiver7777
  • Jul 2, 2009
    So Cal
    Name
    Sir2you
    Boat Name
    No Name........
    Is the water free?

Suggest they install meters.... Here in SoCal we are paying $2.00/4 minutes of fresh water... or about 160 gallons....

Reactions: shadzdad
    Upvote 0

shinchan

Jul 10, 2008
    Kaimuki
    Name
    Randy
    Boat Name
    13' Whaler "Shinchan"
    Wow. o_O Thanks for doing the leg work. I wanna hear what they have to say about all the people filling up coolers and buckets and people washing their cars there.... and great timing too with the increased use during ahi season. So the line for the wash rack is gonna be pretty long this summer with only half the spigots in use... :shake:

Reactions: Aukai03
    Upvote 0

patfishhi

Sep 20, 2007
    Oahu
    Name
    Pat
    Boat Name
    32' Blackfin "Kai Nana"
    I see it in the Ahi threads and I noticed this past weekend the reduced spigots at the wash down rack in Waianae. I emailed the Harbor Master Joseph Simpliciano regarding this and asking for an explanation. This was his response.

Aloha Ron,
    We were told by the Board of Water Supply that we are wasting water at the Waianae SBH. They issued a drought notice and we were told to go down from 10 hose bibbs at the wash down to 5 hose bibbs because the island is in a drought. If you have anymore questions please let me know. Mahalo

Very Respectfully,
    Joseph K. Simpliciano Jr
    Waianae, Hawaii 96792
    (808)697-7095 Ph.
    (808)697-7096 Fax

I sent a follow-up email regarding the unauthorized users and am awaiting a response.

Aloha
    Ron
    Thanks Ron, did just hear this morning that the County will not be imposing mandatory water restrictions as previously thought/planned. Maybe that will get Joe to open the others up.

Reactions: Aukai03
    Upvote 0

anykine77

Almost A Member
    Dec 7, 2005
    Waianae Hawaii
    Name
    Ron
    Boat Name
    28' Custom-Anykine
    Here's the latest response from me and Joe

Aloha Ron,
    I can forward your response to my District manager.

Very Respectfully,
    Joseph K. Simpliciano Jr
    Waianae, Hawaii 96792
    (808)697-7095 Ph.
    (808)697-7096 Fax.

-----Original Message-----
    Sent: Wednesday, May 25, 2022 7:05 AM
    To: DLNR.BD.WaianaeHarbor <[email protected]>
    Subject: Re: [EXTERNAL] Wash Facility

Thanks for the quick response. I'm not sure how reducing the spigots from 10 to 5 addresses a water shortage. The same amount of boats still have to wash up, but now it will take twice as long and create a traffic backup at the wash rack.

As for the wasting of water, is there any thought to addressing the unauthorized users of water. People filling multiple 5 gallon water bottles, washing dishes, taking baths, washing pets, washing cars. I see this every time I'm washing my boat. I'm from Waianae and am down at the harbor quite frequently.

As fishermen we pay a ramp fee while other do not and it seems the State should address the unauthorized users as the sign at the wash rack specifies what is allowed.

Thanks again.

Upvote 0

kapnd

Jul 22, 2007
    haleiwa Hawaii
    Name
    don
    Boat Name
    ss minnow
    Typically out of touch response from dlnr!
    When are they going to figure out that THEY are public servants, whose job it is to make a safe, secure and user friendly experience to those who pay for it?
    For my $500 a month, I don’t even get a restroom key (typically too filthy to use anyway), and often have to park way far from the boat Because of all the tourists.

Upvote 0

shinchan

Jul 10, 2008
    Kaimuki
    Name
    Randy
    Boat Name
    13' Whaler "Shinchan"
    have to ban all the ants from the camp from using the water. in the mean time everyone go buy a 4 way splitter. cheeeeee
    Good idea, I just got a 4-way splitter on Amazon, gonna wave over someone to share our water when all the stalls are full, they can at least get started while we are finishing up.... :-)

Reactions: JimmyK

Dillusion

May 6, 2021
    Hawaii
    Name
    Kyle
    Boat Name
    Tern Cat 18
    I carry a splitter anyways so they can shove it.

Also how does the harbor master not acknowledge anything about the million homeless using it as their personal bath.

This is going to be fun with the tournaments coming up.

Typical day in Hawaii for you.

Upvote 0

chuck merkel

Jun 18, 2007
    Hawaii
    Name
    Chuck Merkel
    Boat Name
    21 foot Force Marine, Joslyn M
    Well common sense has still not prevailed - nor should we expect it to do so. This action has not reduced water use, it has lengthened the waiting time to wash boats. How about keeping unauthorized users from taking water from the wash area?

Bueller? Bueller?

Upvote 0

ahi lawaia

Jan 17, 2008
    Hawaii
    Name
    CP
    Boat Name
    Boston Whaler Conquest 21
    Mahalo, Ron, for taking the initiative to run down what's going on with the removal of half the spigots at the wash rack. I hope Joe's district manager has the courtesy to respond to you.

Upvote 0

CK Marlin

Oct 28, 2014
    Name
    Ken
    Boat Name
    Patti
    Typically out of touch response from dlnr!
    When are they going to figure out that THEY are public servants, whose job it is to make a safe, secure and user friendly experience to those who pay for it?
    For my $500 a month, I don’t even get a restroom key (typically too filthy to use anyway), and often have to park way far from the boat Because of all the tourists.
    I recommended once to Joe about reserving parking stalls in front of the gates with a permit like some of the other harbors for slip owners. But nothing, now the homeless parking and camping in our parking stalls and tourist going on the dolphin boats.

Upvote 0

anykine77

Almost A Member
    Dec 7, 2005
    Waianae Hawaii
    Name
    Ron
    Boat Name
    28' Custom-Anykine
    Well as of today still no response from the District Manager. I'm really not expecting one.
    I guess we just have to keep bringing it up and be a pain in their ass. Hopefully one day the situation will be resolved.
    In the mean time lets go fishing. It's Ahi season

Aloha
    Ron

Upvote 0

chuck merkel

Jun 18, 2007
    Hawaii
    Name
    Chuck Merkel
    Boat Name
    21 foot Force Marine, Joslyn M
    I've sent emails to DLNR and the Board of Water Supply to complain about this lunacy. I don't expect a response from either. Maybe if others can do the same...

Upvote 0

grander007

I Should Upgrade My Account
    May 10, 2007
    Honolulu
    Name
    zzzz
    Boat Name
    46, Bertram, Deep Blue
    no doubt the DLNR is a joke - as well as the rest of the State that continuosly raids their funds - for example, while I was in the Alawai, slip rates went up massively over the years, last increase before I left recently was about 50% - and they raised Keehi to same price level as Ala Wai so people didn't have nearby lower cost option

meanwhile the Ala Wai has operated for decades with 25-35% of slips vacant year in and year out, and delinquent boats sitting for years and sometimes sinking before being dealt with

also many second hand stories of special treatment, deals, etc for certain tenants

too bad our tax dollars at work (or not)

tight lines,

Upvote 0

Big Kahuna62

Mar 30, 2022
    Oahu
    Name
    Richard Horan
    Boat Name
    20 Ft Skipjack
    When was the last time any of you went to Sand Island Boat Ramp? That is a joke now, the ramp pier is destroyed and looks like it was hit by a bomb. Completely unsafe.

Reactions: Butakuchi
    Upvote 0