Waianae - Tuna Hunt 07/02/2013

Discussion in 'Hawaii Fishing Reports' started by russell kato, Jul 4, 2013.

1. russell kato

russell kato "Kamoku"

Name:
    russ
    Boat:
    15' Arima - Kamoku
    Since my boat was in for service and Bob Li (Wise Bob) needed a crewman, I decided to hop ship and join in with him to go on a 'tuna hunt'. I met Bob at 2:00am at his house and left shortly after for that hour+ drive to Waianae. Although the action was hot on Saturday, there was a trend begining to happen......one that I have heard about and experienced in the past which was, the action began to alternate between hot and cold every other day and if you were to follow that trend, Tuesday fell on a 'cold day'. Like the optimist that I am, we still ventured out hoping that things may play out differently.The morning began with lots of optimism and anticipation of the 'big strike' and by late morning (10:30am) that optimism started to dwindle and doubt started to set in. We saw one boat dead in the water around 6;30 or so and thought they were live-baiting but it turned out, that they had actually caught an ahi! There were scattered birds here and there with nothing really bunching up, and didn't see boats stopping or fighting fish. To add to the frustration, Bob heard on the radio and also got a phone call that the action moved to Haleiwa, near II buoy. I told Bob that the distance to II would be arround 22 miles and that we should just stay where we were and just wait it out. To compound matters further, I later found out the there were pilot whales wreaking havoc along the Waianae coast causing the ahis to 'run away'. Well, even with all this going on, around 11:00 I saw a small bird pile just outside of us and then a big splash inside of the bird pile got me throttling Bob's boat toward the pile in hopes of getting into it before the other 5 or 6 boats around us get there. As soon as I approached the pile and lowered the throttle back to trolling speed the starboard outrigger popped and line started to rip out of the Shimano 80.....alright Hanapa'a! Bob fought the ahi for 30 minutes, leadered the ahi close enough for me to hit em with the bangstick and with 2 gaffs securely place, the ahi came in on the first lift. We were able to catch a 6lb aku shortly after that then spent the next 4 hours on the water without a touch. Bob and I reflected back on the day and we both realized how lucky we were to have had that one and only strike. I am attaching the only picture we had of our ahi before we dropped it off at the block. Happy 4th of July to all you Bloodyd ecker and keep a tight line!

Attached Files:

2. Hij

Hij Newbie

Name:
    Jason Hijirida
    Boat:
    25 Force, PAIGE H
    Awesome day guys. I know exactly what you mean about that feeling mid day with no strikes. That feeling is a downer, but way to keep the hopes up and it paid off! Hope nothing major is wrong with the boat Russell. Gonna try my luck at Haleiwa and hope to get some firework action on the boat!

3. AKEMI TOO

AKEMI TOO Member

Name:
    Steven
    Boat:
    21 Seaswirl Stripper W/A
    Good going Bob and Russ. You're on a roll Russ no matter what boat you're on. Hope I can get on the board on saturday. By the way how's the finger, better I hope.

4. pfont

pfont no mo boat

Name:
    peter fontanilla
    Boat:
    17' Arima Sea Chaser-"kiana" - SOLD on 9/16/2016
    wtg russ & bob .... congrats ... if the trend is true and tues was a cold day? & thurs also a cold day? hope to get lucky if friday will be a hot day?... or else it will be a hot sunny day instead ....

5. poidog

poidog lurker

Name:
    poidog
    Boat:
    18'
    if there is one thing I have learned over the years it's that fish don't follow schedules. When you think you got em figured out they switch it up. The only way to catch one is with a line in the water. looks like Oahu is goin off.

6. Missgen

Missgen Newbie

Name:
    Max
    Boat:
    Meijun
    Way to go guys, one is always better then none!

7. hanapaakikijo

hanapaakikijo Newbie

Name:
    Jeff
    Boat:
    21 Saltwater
    Good going Bob and Russ!

8. JimmyK

JimmyK Fisherman wannabe

Name:
    JimmyK
    Boat:
    17' Seaswirl Striper CC, Krystana C.
    Congrats, Bob and Russ! You guys rollin' now!

9. wisebob

wisebob Newbie

Name:
    bob
    Boat:
    smallsize kine
    Thanks guys!

bob

10. russell kato

russell kato "Kamoku"

Name:
    russ
    Boat:
    15' Arima - Kamoku

Jason, Thanks! Praying helps, but in the end it came down to luck! My boat is alright, just in for scheduled maintenance. Good luck at Haleiwa...can't wait to see the pics!

Hey Steven, Thanks for the kind words! Really, I think we have just been pretty lucky lately! Where was the luck last year?lol
    Good luck to you and your crew on Saturday...you'll get yours soon! Finger is getting better but healing is slow...probably due to all the banging it has been through!
    Peter, Thanks! Wishing you a lot of luck and action on Friday! As for the trend.....what happened on Wednesday and today? Maybe it goes back to the beginning and Friday will be hot!
    Poidog, I know what you're saying, but I swear its almost uncanny at Waianae.....there have been many seasons where the fishing were like it was on a schedule. One thing for sure....if you don't go, you'll won't know!
    Max, Thanks! That is sooo true! BTW, Congrats on your 1 and 1//8 catch!
    Jeff, Thanks! Way to kill em with that catch of 4!
    Jimmy, Been feeling kinda lucky lately.Thanks!

11. patfishhi

patfishhi Registered User

Name:
    Pat
    Boat:
    32' Blackfin "Kai Nana"
    Russ and Bob,
    Way to go guys, a little bit of pre-4th fireworks. Awesome.

Cheers
    Pat

12. yellowfin24

yellowfin24 Newbie

Name:
    Todd
    Boat:
    24 Yellowfin
    Good going Russ and Bob!

13. manu-o-ku

manu-o-ku Newbie

Name:
    luke
    Boat:
    170 Montauk
    Way to hang in there, great catch

14. russell kato

russell kato "Kamoku"

Name:
    russ
    Boat:
    15' Arima - Kamoku
    Pat, Thank you! Just a little bit of Pre-4th fireworks....congrats on your 4th of July catch!

Todd Thanks! Congrats on your triple Ahi day! love to have a day like that.

Luke, Thanks! good going on the marlin and ahi catch with your friend Neil!

15. shadzdad

shadzdad Member

Name:
    Darren
    Boat:
    building one
    Russ and Bob, good going on sticking out where you were. Yes we all know Haleiwa was going off but still had guys out that side that never catch. You made the right call for your situation.

16. changboy

changboy Member

Name:
    Brian
    Boat:
    "PARIS C" 23 sportcraft custom
    Russ, good job better luck then good any day!