Waianae side 6/15

Discussion in 'Hawaii Fishing Reports' started by nekine, Jun 15, 2010.

1. nekine

nekine Newbie

Name:
    Spencer
    Boat:
    chris craft seahawk 22'
    Took couple of my friends out for their first time trolling, left the harbor around 700. Headed left towards campbell for once, hit the ledge until kahe no strikes so headed out about 6-8 miles. GPS not workin so been fishing blind past few times. Will get a new one soon havent decided on what brand/model yet.Passed S buoy no other boats and no strikes so headed 270/300 degrees until we hit kaena, pretty far out but the water was cherry. One of the best ive seen it so far. Trolled all along the deep, OAhu looked pretty small. Couple small scattered bird piles, seen a few other boats all nice looking 25+ footers too. Took a strike on the long rigger, but must have been something real small as it couldnt even pull much of the 130 line out of the 14/0, with the drag set pretty tight. Made circles out there until about 11, decided to head in towards V and hit the ledge near kaena. Saw a huge bird pile couple miles outside of V, birds were circling and moving sporadically like they were following a school, tried to follow em made one pass no luck and i didnt want to tangle my lines so i gave up chasin. Birds werent diving though. Headed in towards the 40 ledge got pretty overcast, made couple passes and decided to bottom fish for small game. No luck couple hagi and we got poured first time seeing heavy rain out there. Headed in couple hours later picked up a small 18-20 pound ono on the way in on my lucky green chrome jet. Still looking for first ahi/aku/mahi hopefully things will turn up soon. Good luck

Attached Files:

2. Uli Kai

Uli Kai Newbie

Name:
    John
    Boat:
    Wellcraft Coastal 230
    Right on Spencer. Mercy ono's are great. It's always nice this time of year to pick them up on the way in.

3. jagerhunchback

jagerhunchback MCLMM

sometimes oahu.....mostly iraq occasionally afghan
    Name:
    mike
    Boat:
    25 ft powercat "Crazy Haole"
    Solid Ono bro, gotta love the mercy bite!!!

4. force21

force21 Oldie

Name:
    Glenn
    Boat:
    21 Force JAYMIELYN
    Good going Spencer, nothing wrong landing an Ono brah! I'm sure the rest will follow!

5. Pupule

Pupule Member

Name:
    Todd
    Boat:
    22 ft Islander
    Oh, yes....nice ono. I've endured many afternoons cruising along "Desperation Ledge" after a long boat ride without being so lucky. Good one!

6. cheehuli

cheehuli Newbie

Name:
    Chase
    Boat:
    24' Custom Sampan "Girlie T"
    Nice looking ono bu! Keep going regularly like you been doing and you should be able to cross those species off the list in no time!

7. dausualinc

dausualinc Newbie

Name:
    Kekoa
    Boat:
    30' Knife
    Keep running that jet brah

8. BNaks

BNaks Newbie

Name:
    Brandon
    Boat:
    Baby Hawk
    Dude, you are like an ono magnet!

9. patfishhi

patfishhi Registered User

Name:
    Pat
    Boat:
    32' Blackfin "Kai Nana"
    Spencer,
    Good goin' on the ono; no worries on the other fishes, they'll come. The way this week has been most of us would be stoked with an ono. As far as the GPS; try pullin' the navionics card and reseating it; also still think there might be something wrong with the on/off button. Check all the connections to the antenna, if you haven't already. Contact Lowrance describe the problem, they may have some trouble shooting ideas.

Cheers
    Pat