Waianae Mahi 4/28/12

Pupule

Feb 16, 2010
Ewa Beach
Name
Todd
Boat
22 ft Islander
Left Waianae Harbor at 0600 and motored straight to V-buoy. There wasn't much happening there so we headed toward the Dog Mouth (25 miles at 85 degrees). We ran into a small pile of black birds on the 1000 between V and CO. Took five strikes within a half hour. Dropped two mahi and caught three. Continued out to the Dog Mouth. Nobody was home, so we headed back in. Found another small pile of birds at 18 miles and 80 degrees, and caught two more mahi. Biggest was 21 pounds. We were happy with that so we headed back to the barn.

http://dsmanimal.com/uploads/3/0/8/1/3081960/6216547.jpg?434

shinchan

Making other fishermen look good....
Jul 10, 2008
Kaimuki
Name
Randy
Boat
13' Whaler "Shinchan"
Great catch and thanks for the detailed report. So being the newbie here I'm going to ask a stupid question: Dog mouth? :confused: Is that the shape of the mountains at that range or the bottom contour?

russell kato

"Kamoku"
Jul 24, 2009
Honolulu, HI
Name
russ
Boat
15' Arima - Kamoku
Left Waianae Harbor at 0600 and motored straight to V-buoy. There wasn't much happening there so we headed toward the Dog Mouth (25 miles at 85 degrees). We ran into a small pile of black birds on the 1000 between V and CO. Took five strikes within a half hour. Dropped two mahi and caught three. Continued out to the Dog Mouth. Nobody was home, so we headed back in. Found another small pile of birds at 18 miles and 80 degrees, and caught two more mahi. Biggest was 21 pounds. We were happy with that so we headed back to the barn.

http://dsmanimal.com/uploads/3/0/8/1/3081960/6216547.jpg?434
Pupule,
Congrats on a great catch of Mahis! Water must have been nice.

shinchan

Making other fishermen look good....
Jul 10, 2008
Kaimuki
Name
Randy
Boat
13' Whaler "Shinchan"
Randy, the 1500 fathom and 2000 fathom contour lines 25 to 35 miles west of Makua Valley, when viewed on a navigation chart, resemble Snoopy the dog. The "mouth " of that contour is called the Dog Mouth.
Thanks for the info, would that be here http://www.charts.noaa.gov/OnLineViewer/19380.shtml
under the part labeled "Kauai Channel"? It sort of looks like snoopy upside down...
Mahalo again,
Randy

Pupule

Feb 16, 2010
Ewa Beach
Name
Todd
Boat
22 ft Islander
Great catch and thanks for the detailed report.
Thank you, Randy. I initially planned to head out to the Penguin Bank yesterday, but heard it was slow over there. I'm glad we zigged instead of zagged.

Good going on your catch!
Thanks, Jimmy. I credit Dex, with his sharp eyes. I think I would have trolled right past that first pile. I didn't see it in the distance to our left.

Pupule,

Congrats on a great catch of Mahis! Water must have been nice.
Russ, thanks. It was really calm in the early morning. By 11:00 the wind had picked up. It was wrapping around Kaena Point, causing tall, breaking chop that made maneuvering a little dangerous. We ended up veering south as we headed in, to get out of the wind line.

Thanks for the info, would that be here http://www.charts.noaa.gov/OnLineViewer/19380.shtml
under the part labeled "Kauai Channel"?
Mahalo again,
Randy
That looks like the place.

Good catch, action packed day and fresh mahi for grind!
Mahalo, Brian. It was a welcome change from the recent string of not-so-good fishing trips for me.

Great day on the water. Good going!
Thanks, Paul. We had a blast.

Sounds like a good day to me. Good going
Brandon, it was a very good day on the water, indeed. Thanks.

Good going on the action day. Looks like some good Mahi burgers.
Thank you, Nick. I'm going to make some limu pokē, Chinese style steamed mahi, and I'll even experiment with cold ginger mahi (like ginger chicken but substituting fish instead). Wish me luck. LOL!

Pupule, Good going out there! Great catch.
Mahalo, Jeff. We were very lucky to find some action out there.
Another boat was at 18 miles and 108 degrees (a couple of miles northwest of where CO is supposed to be) in a massive porpoise/ahi pile around the same time we were working the first bunch of mahi. He was trying to call me on my cell phone, but it was already out of cell range. He said he took a big strike but it ended up spitting the hook. Bummer. I dunno if receiving that phone call would have been good or bad for us. I guess it could have gone either way.

BUSTIN

Aug 26, 2010
Wahiawa
Name
Mark
Good going Todd. Glad to see Dexter got out with you yesterday. You guy's passed us going out as we were headed towards the point around the 25 mile range. Was on the yellowfin with the teel green sponson. Good going again. Mark

patfishhi

Sep 20, 2007
Oahu
Name
Pat
Boat
32' Blackfin "Kai Nana"
Todd and crew,
Thanks for the scouting report and good goin' on the fish. Glad to see the mahis are still producing; before you know the other yellows will be on the other end of the rod...

Cheers
Pat

Pupule

Feb 16, 2010
Ewa Beach
Name
Todd
Boat
22 ft Islander
Good going Todd. Glad to see Dexter got out with you yesterday. You guy's passed us going out as we were headed towards the point around the 25 mile range. Was on the yellowfin with the teel green sponson. Good going again. Mark

Hey, thanks Mark. We didn't know that was you out there. We heard you guys talking to another boat up head and saying that you were headed to the 1000 near CO.

Dex has been sidelined from fishing for a while. He's been dealing with his father's recent medical condition.

dinner...nice

Oh yeah, fresh mahi for dinner is hard to beat!

Todd and crew,
Thanks for the scouting report and good goin' on the fish. Glad to see the mahis are still producing; before you know the other yellows will be on the other end of the rod...
Cheers
Pat

Mahalo, Pat. Judging from the sudden appearance of ono, it seems that ahi season may be just around the corner.

Pupule,
What a good day you had. Good going on your catch.
aloha
Thanks, Dave. We certainly enjoyed the good fortune on Saturday.