Start Me Up Sportfishing

chuck merkel

Jun 18, 2007
Hawaii
Name
Chuck Merkel
Boat
21 foot Force Marine, Joslyn M
Underway at 0500. First trip in nine months as my boat underwent an extensive rebuild. Repowered from single diesel I/O to twin Suzuki 140 outboards by MI Marine. Force Marine extension was installed by Paul Fukunaga. New fuel tanks and electrical system. Ran to the 1000 and set lines heading toward the pinnacles. Before we could set all lines the starboard corner was grabbed but didn't stick. Based on bite marks, this was an ahi. Got lines set and turned around to pass back through the area. Sighted an active bird pile with no one else around. There were some nice splashes and it looked like the pile held some big aku. Took three knockdowns on the center that didn't stick. While resetting after the third time, a fish ripped the line out of Walt's hand and we were on. We were thinking big aku. There wasn't much of a run, but the fish started to pull harder and we soon realized we had an ahi on. We landed a 140# ahi at 0650. We spent the rest of the morning along the 1000, taking another 4 knockdowns. On the way in we hooked and lost an aku in a pile just outside the harbor.

The boat rode great with the new engines. There are some things to work on, but a great first trip.

IMG_7021.jpg

shinchan

Jul 10, 2008
Kaimuki
Name
Randy
Boat
13' Whaler "Shinchan"
Lots of action and nice catch! Never had an ahi take the lure while I was setting the line before, that's awesome!

Upvote 0

patfishhi

Sep 20, 2007
Oahu
Name
Pat
Boat
32' Blackfin "Kai Nana"
Chuck and Walter,
Congrats mostly for a successful overhaul, sea trial, and the whole reason for the boat, getting her bloody.

Cheers
Pat

Upvote 0

JimmyK

Fisherman wannabe
Jun 1, 2009
Waipahu, Hawaii
Name
JimmyK
Boat
18' Olympic CC, Krystana C.
Good going Chuck and Walter!
Talk about a great way to start off the new year with new power! Plenty blood on the deck too. Only the beginning!

Upvote 0

chuck merkel

Jun 18, 2007
Hawaii
Name
Chuck Merkel
Boat
21 foot Force Marine, Joslyn M
Congratulations on your nice catch Chuck!

Thank you Russell.

Lots of action and nice catch! Never had an ahi take the lure while I was setting the line before, that's awesome!

I'm always really careful handling the lines when the lures are in the water. I've had the line taken out of my hand several times.

Chuck and Walter,
Congrats mostly for a successful overhaul, sea trial, and the whole reason for the boat, getting her bloody.

Cheers
Pat

Thanks Pat. It was a lot of work and waiting. Tearing everything out. Doing things I'd never done before (fiberglass and gelcoat). Waiting for things to be delivered, waiting for things to get done. Doing what I could while waiting. Then finally getting everything put back together. There's still some more to be done - still waiting for transducers and the man overboard system, and there's some things that aren't quite right. Was it all worth it? Absolutely. I look forward to seeing you out there.

Good going Chuck and Walter!
Talk about a great way to start off the new year with new power! Plenty blood on the deck too. Only the beginning!
Thank you Jimmy.

Upvote 0

MauiGage

• Mar 11, 2018
    Hawaii
    Name
    MauiGage
    Boat
    26' Twin Vee 'Manu-o-Kū'
    Underway at 0500. First trip in nine months as my boat underwent an extensive rebuild. Repowered from single diesel I/O to twin Suzuki 140 outboards by MI Marine. Force Marine extension was installed by Paul Fukunaga. New fuel tanks and electrical system. Ran to the 1000 and set lines heading toward the pinnacles. Before we could set all lines the starboard corner was grabbed but didn't stick. Based on bite marks, this was an ahi. Got lines set and turned around to pass back through the area. Sighted an active bird pile with no one else around. There were some nice splashes and it looked like the pile held some big aku. Took three knockdowns on the center that didn't stick. While resetting after the third time, a fish ripped the line out of Walt's hand and we were on. We were thinking big aku. There wasn't much of a run, but the fish started to pull harder and we soon realized we had an ahi on. We landed a 140# ahi at 0650. We spent the rest of the morning along the 1000, taking another 4 knockdowns. On the way in we hooked and lost an aku in a pile just outside the harbor.

The boat rode great with the new engines. There are some things to work on, but a great first trip.

View attachment 1289421
    Right on, congrats. I had my boat (26' TwinVee) at my friends, MI Marine. We waited on parts for 4 months; now running twin Zuke 150s. Finally back in the water. Hopefully I'll catch an ahi like yours soon. Aloha!

Upvote 0

Latest posts