Waianae - July 6, 2019

Discussion in 'Hawaii Fishing Reports' started by russell kato, Jul 8, 2019.

1. russell kato

russell kato "Kamoku"

Name:
    russ
    Boat:
    15' Arima - Kamoku
    EC2DEEE5-F5D4-450D-A852-6C13C63AAA9E.jpeg I was able to get the day off this past Saturday so decided to try my luck and fished out of Waianae even though there was a tournament that day and would probably have to fight the crowd. Got in the water at 4:30am and worked my way along the 1000 fm toward BO buoy. A couple of miles before BO I came into A nice pile of birds working and saw nice size splashes (probably med to lg Aku) which I played with for about 30-45 minutes but no takers. BO buoy had some scattered birds but nothing really bunching up and took one solid hit which did not stick. After an uneventful stretch following the 1000 fm back to the middle, turned in and made a last desperation run on the 40fm by Black rock. After only 15 minutes on the ledge was blessed to take a mercy double Ono strike and picked up two small Onos. At least no Bolohead. Hopefully the Ahi action will return soon......until then tight lines!

2. hiloboy

hiloboy Okinawaiian Sencho

Name:
    Donald
    Boat:
    Yamaha 25 SR Flybridge
    Good job... Onos is ono!!

3. shadzdad

shadzdad Member

Name:
    Darren
    Boat:
    building one
    Russ, good going on the pair of onos. Passed through the harbor parking lot Saturday and it was packed

4. Hana Bata Days

Hana Bata Days Member

Name:
    Don
    Boat:
    Hana Bata Days-26 Yellow Fin
    Good going, heard it was crowded, not fun. Next trip hopefully a pair of Ahi's

5. patfishhi

patfishhi Registered User

Name:
    Pat
    Boat:
    32' Blackfin "Kai Nana"
    Russ,
    Good goin' on the Onos, bummers you didn't get what you really wanted.

Cheers
    Pat

6. AKEMI TOO

AKEMI TOO Member

Name:
    Steven
    Boat:
    21 Seaswirl Stripper W/A
    Sorry I didn't join you that day, had to work. Two ono is way better than I've been doing.

7. russell kato

russell kato "Kamoku"

Name:
    russ
    Boat:
    15' Arima - Kamoku
    Donald, Thank you! Yeah, was glad to come home with something!

Thanks Darren! I got to the harbor at 3:45am and was surprised to see the parking lot was full of trailers already! Does anybody have any results from that tournament? It sounded kinda slow on the tournament channel.

Thanks Don! Once I got on the water it wasn’t as bad as I thought It would be! Just couldn’t find the right place and stuck em.

Thanks Pat! Yeah, I was disappointed I couldn’t find the fish! Still working on that skill!

Steven, good thing you didn’t come out that day, it appeared that the action slowed down a bit.....but then, again, maybe you would have got lucky and found those yellow guys!

8. shadzdad

shadzdad Member

Name:
    Darren
    Boat:
    building one
    Yeah heard the bite was good on Thursday and Friday. I went out with a friend the day after your trip, was slow. We picked up an ono and had one get away on this lure

20190713_102451.jpg

russell kato likes this.
  9. russell kato

russell kato "Kamoku"

Name:
    russ
    Boat:
    15' Arima - Kamoku
    Darren,
    One Ono is always better than a bolohead! I hate those ruptured lures after an Ono missed! Congrats on the Ono that did stuck. Hope the Ahis show up in bigger numbers soon!

shadzdad likes this.