Waianae harbor ledge report

Discussion in 'Hawaii Fishing Reports' started by shinchan, Oct 1, 2012.

1. shinchan

shinchan Newbie

Name:
    Randy
    Boat:
    13' Whaler "Shinchan"
    Aloha all, needed to get out to see if things were picking up and get the rust off. Got out at 6 and turned right to Kaena zigzaging the 40 all the way. Once again saw lots of aku jumping here and there out to the 100, ran through a few times with the big lures but no hits. Made my way back past Black Rock and decided to change out my short short line to a new jet I wanted to try. 9" black over red and put it on the 3rd wave about 30' behind the transom in the whitewash. Now I'm in front of the harbor and making my way through the kayaks out there when the line goes off. Huh, did I hook a kayak? I look back and see a mahi jumping all over the place and I'm right in front of the Pokai Bay Heiau and I can see the harbor entrance. I work it in, gaff it and haul it aboard and it goes ballistic and jumps back overboard(the height back there is about 15") taking more line. Okay I get my knife ready, work it back in, gaff it then attempt to brain it. Yeah, no go, it goes nuts again and is flipping all over the place near my feet- I'm thinking this is how people get hooked in the foot. Then it jumps back out. Okay, done playing around. I work it back, take wraps right up to the lure then yank it between the fishbag and the console. It goes to the guard and I get the full mounted position and the knife slips into the spine. Wahine mahi, 27.8lbs and I'm just happy to bring home something....:D

Attached Files:

2. Irunthedeck

Irunthedeck Gilligan

Name:
    Jack
    Boat:
    Friends's boat
    Try throwing a dark cloth or towel over the head of the mahi, cover the eyes, or any rag or cloth you've got no matter the color,........that'll usually calm them down. Nice going on the close range mahi !

3. JimmyK

JimmyK Fisherman wannabe

Name:
    JimmyK
    Boat:
    17' Seaswirl Striper CC, Krystana C.
    Randy, good going on the mahi! Its great to hear got some fish coming up. You sure are a big encouragement to me, I'm hoping to be back fishing in about a month or so. Keep the fish stories coming!
    Aloha,
    Jimmy

4. russell kato

russell kato "Kamoku"

Name:
    russ
    Boat:
    15' Arima - Kamoku
    Randy,
    Like Irunthedeck said for small boats like ours the cloth method is a safe and effective method to put down even the biggest of mahimahis! Personally, I like to use a painters drop cloth (canvas type) about 6'x6'. If I know I've hooked a mahimahi, I'll set my cloth up ahead of time by opening it up and draping it over my seats...I'll then bring the Mahi in and either fly it into the cloth or I fly the Mahi on the deck and throw the cloth on the Mahi like a throw net then I pounce on it, feel for the head ( making sure my lure is clear so I no crack em) then I wack the Mahi on the head with my bat. I prefer flying the Mahi into the cloth...less chance of Mahi going nuts! Last but nut least, with gloves on hand, I reach under the cloth and sink my hand into the gill plate and now you got a firm grip on the Mahi to put em in the bag. Congrats on your nice cow! WTG on the mercy bite.

5. Jus10

Jus10 Newbie

Name:
    Jus10
    Boat:
    Kimi-Some
    nice one....thats what we call slapin the decks....:2gunsfiring_v1:

6. Startmeup

Startmeup Official Sponsor of Bloodydecks Advertiser

Name:
    Lee
    Boat:
    Start Me Up Sportfishing
    Mahis, especially the bigger ones, can be difficult. Good going on the one you got.

Jonny

7. shadzdad

shadzdad Member

Name:
    Darren
    Boat:
    building one
    Nice mahi, she must've been hooked good. Love the story and glad you were victorious.

8. Howemet

Howemet Newbie

Name:
    Pete Hopley
    Boat:
    Howemet
    Randy... nice going. Hope I slay more Mahi and Ono heading back over to Molokai next weekend. Nothing better than not getting skunked, and eating fresh fish!

cheers,

Pete

9. manu-o-ku

manu-o-ku Newbie

Name:
    luke
    Boat:
    170 Montauk
    Nice fish, they can be a handful. I forgot a bat one time and tried to brain a big ono with a knife, it wasn't pretty. Now I always remember a bat.

10. mc08066

mc08066 Newbie

Name:
    Jimmy Greene
    Boat:
    kayak
    Use the spray bottle with cheap strong alcohol method (tequila, or whisky) fish comes in the boat spray/mist it in the face. The fish will go quiet and it lights out hammer away. Just make sure you don't spray it in your face or it will screw you up.

11. Kauaihunter

Kauaihunter Newbie

Name:
    Jay
    Boat:
    Moana Kai 15' Whaler
    Right on Randy.

12. shinchan

shinchan Newbie

Name:
    Randy
    Boat:
    13' Whaler "Shinchan"
    Thanks, I'll have to remember to bring a cloth with me, I thought I could just muscle it like the other mahi I got, obviously this one didn't get the memo....

Thanks Jimmy, lets go out when you're ready to go!

Thanks, I'll have to remember to keep a drop cloth folded in the boat, maybe I can rig something up like a cloth sleeve that goes over the gaff so i can pull the fish right into a cloth and cover it up? Hmmmm, I guess I have some experimenting to do....

Yup, and nearly slappin me :rofl:

Thanks

Thanks, the big 12/0 hook was through the bottom jaw but came out after it hit the deck the third time. I figured if it got away it was ment to be because I had my chances....

Thanks, yup got a few recipes that I've been wanting to try, esp after watching Sunday's "Let's Go fishing" and seeing "bubu-arare coated mahi with sauteed mushrooms and peas"....yum!

Thanks, the bat is good if the person can hit a moving target, just ask my friend who put a few dings in my boat trying to bat our first mahi, he hit the bucket and boat more than the fish!

Sounds good, maybe I need to check with the Coast Guard before going out? I can see it, the one day I get boarded- "Is that alcohol sir?" "Um, yeah but it's for the fish" "Uh huh":waglleybooty:

Thanks Jay, anymore ika-shibi action your way?

13. Kauaihunter

Kauaihunter Newbie

Name:
    Jay
    Boat:
    Moana Kai 15' Whaler
    Randy, my brother in law picked up a bunch of 40-60 pounders yesterday. I don't know if it was night time or trolling yet. I'm at Disneyland with the kids this week. Saturday I might try something, heard the water is nice.

14. patfishhi

patfishhi Registered User

Name:
    Pat
    Boat:
    32' Blackfin "Kai Nana"
    Randy,
    Way to go... you have the art of getting them into, out of, into, out of and back into the boat perfected. Nice mahi.

Pat