Waianae 8/26/10

Discussion in 'Hawaii Fishing Reports' started by Pupule, Aug 26, 2010.

1. Pupule

Pupule Member

Name:
    Todd
    Boat:
    22 ft Islander
    All week long I've had a bad case of the fishing bug, so I asked my boss for the day off today. Left the harbor at sunrise and headed straight for the pinnacle, then ran over it and kept going. At 17.5 miles and 62 degrees I found a big pile of black birds. It was pretty massive, but spread out over a wide area, maybe 1 mile x 1 mile. Three other boats were already in it. I followed it southwest to 22.5 miles running a mixed bag of 3", 5", 7" and 9" lures, without a bite. There wasn't much happening on the surface.

The farther out I travelled, the thinner the birds got, so I headed back in on a track toward Barber's Point. The water wasn't rough, i.e., no white caps, but it was choppy like a washing machine. I guess I like that better than when it's flat like a lake. As I approached the pinnacle again from the southwest at 11:30, just after the tide change, the right outrigger, running a 5" bird and a 7" Mark Bustin pearl head lure, went off. I could see a marlin skipping on the water as I brought the RPMs up to 3000. No line peeling, just a bent over rod. I raised the RPMs to 3500, trying to create more drag. The marlin kept skipping over the surface. Weird! Only after I slowed down did the fish start to pull line off the reel. This one was obviously not a monster. It took about a half hour to get it to the side of the boat, tired out and on its side. I reached into the storage bin to grab my "ammo bag", to setup a .44 Magnum blank for the bang stick. No ammo bag. Hmmmm...where is that thing? Hmmmm.......oh no! It's still in my truck! I used it as a prop for my broken beverage holder this morning as I drove to Waianae Harbor with two 20 ounce cups of coffee. Dumbasstic move! LOL!

Okay, so it's not a big fish. Keep calm, keep cool, stay focused. I setup the harpoon (basically a bullet shaped stainless head with a cable and a rope, delivered with a stainless shaft mounted on a wooden pole), then pushed the head through the gills and out through the cheek plate on the other side. Tied the rope off to a cleat. Grabbed a 2 ft long utility knife and slit the fish's throat, and let it bleed out. Setup the winch with a rope around its "armpits" and cranked him aboard. 170 lbs, maybe? I don't know. I was able to curl it around in the fish box and get the cover back in place.

After cleaning up, I saw 6 boats just north of me, at about 12.5 miles and 65 degrees. Headed over there to find a big porpoise pod with black and white birds patrolling the area. Even saw a big shark in there. That was a first. No signs of ahi, though. The birds just seemed to swarm over the porpoise splashes, but the boats were trolling through there nonetheless. A 19' hard top Glass Pros "KIMI SOME" hooked into a nice marlin, and was on it for the 45 or so minutes I stayed in that pile. Looked to be a big first run. When I passed by them, it looked like 400 yards of line were out. Hope you got 'em, dude!

Oh well, it was getting late so I headed in. It sure was fun being out on the water today, rather than fighting the daily grind at work.

[​IMG]

Thanks for the lure, Mark. Your lures really do raise the fish.
    [​IMG]

2. Blue Ice

Blue Ice Newbie

Name:
    Big B
    Boat:
    2670 Glacier Bay "Maddie Girl"
    Pupule,

Awesome catch! Glad to see someone hooking up out there. I was in that same exact spot all day sunday but nada! Intersting about the shark out there in the pile. Was it a thresher or tiger? Capdon and I saw a huge Hammer out the Kaneohe channel last month on top...must've been 12 feet long...a monster! Anyway glad to see you were able to engineer a solution to the lack of bullets. Congrats on the Marlin and thanks for sharing the lure.

Aloha,

Brian

3. captdon1

captdon1 Newbie

Name:
    don
    Boat:
    33' kamicraft "KIMI ANN"
    good going on your phish pupule , perfect size for some sash!!

aloha captdon

4. jma1978

jma1978 Bird Catcher

Name:
    Josh
    Boat:
    24' Yellowfin
    Man, you've been getting lucky lately. Good job! Guess this explains why you didn't return my call at work today...

5. RMP

RMP Newbie

Name:
    Sean
    Boat:
    no moa
    thanks pupule for the short commentary. i crew on the KIMISOME and we did land the marlin. sorry no pics. P.S. thanks for giving us some room right on

6. BNaks

BNaks Newbie

Name:
    Brandon
    Boat:
    Baby Hawk
    Right on Pupule. Thanks for the info and story. Good to hear the birds are still around, so the fish must be too. Nice size marlin you got there, mine was good eating.

7. Morris Lures

Morris Lures Pirate

Name:
    Nick
    Boat:
    FORCE 21
    Good going on the nice marlin.

8. nodrama

nodrama Newbie

Name:
    Ryan
    good going on that fish. Thanks for the report.

9. grander007

grander007 Well-Known "Member"

Name:
    zzzz
    Boat:
    46, Bertram, Deep Blue
    Kill and consume baby....nice fish.

Tight lines,

10. outrage17

outrage17 Captain

Name:
    Brian
    Boat:
    Whaler 17 Outrage II Jennie-Anne
    WTG!! Nice size for sashimi....

11. Crash

Crash Member

Name:
    Robert Young
    Boat:
    20' Skippy
    nice fishing, best days are work days, just feels better

12. patfishhi

patfishhi Registered User

Name:
    Pat
    Boat:
    32' Blackfin "Kai Nana"
    Pupule,
    Good goin' on your fish... As I was reading the "no ammo bag" part was thinking how comfortable and confident we've become with the ability of the bang stick. For many years never used one (late 80's early 90's) until almost dislocated shoulder, lost gaff, lost a 300+ fish at leader (solo) as the gaff got buried into its shoulder. Note to self... buy bang stick.

Fishing the Atlantic early to mid 80's got very comfortable with the harpoon, brought 1 with me and used it a few times but slowly migrated away from them. It's rather nostalgic to hear you using one.

Nice lure and it's nice to hear there is still plenty of life out there...

Thanks
    Pat

13. dausualinc

dausualinc Newbie

Name:
    Kekoa
    Boat:
    30' Knife
    Way to go on the solo fish man, you've really got the marlin bite dialed this year.

14. jagerhunchback

jagerhunchback MCLMM

sometimes oahu.....mostly iraq occasionally afghan
    Name:
    mike
    Boat:
    25 ft powercat "Crazy Haole"
    awesome write up, congrats on your marlin!!!

15. adobo

adobo sponsor by..Masalures.com

Name:
    sab
    Boat:
    19' glasspro
    good catch

16. tsutomu

tsutomu Newbie

Name:
    garrett
    Boat:
    Anne's Revenge
    Slamming the marlins...congrat's!! Good looking lure too!

17. Pupule

Pupule Member

Name:
    Todd
    Boat:
    22 ft Islander
    Brian, the dorsal fin definitely had some white on the edges so I think it may have been an open ocean white tip.

Now that you’ve mentioned it, Don, I think I should have kept a slab for sashimi and poke, but I ended up giving it to my cousin to be smoked.

I’ve been very lucky this year, indeed. Counting my blessings. In years past, August has not been a very good month at all for me.
    Sorry I couldn’t help you with the meeting on Thursday, Josh.

Hey Sean, when I first looked over your way I saw two people standing back at the business end of your boat. Then, when I saw that fish erupt on the surface I was a little stunned to see how much line was out, and I was on a collision course with it. It took a second to figure out what was going on, heheh!

Brandon, there’s certainly more action in Waianae now than there was during the month of July. Must have been all the RIMPAC boats with their active mega-watt sonar pings, chasing all the bait away.

Thanks, Nick. I’m always happy to put anything in the boat. Many people rather not catch marlin, but I’m not so picky!

My pleasure, Ryan. All the BoodyDecks reports I’ve been following this year have helped me a lot. This message board is a terrific resource.

Friends, relatives and all my co-workers rave about the smoked marlin that my cousin makes. This year, I’m happy to report that they’ve all been eating well.

Hi Brian, like I told Captain Don, I “missed the boat” on this one. Shoulda, coulda, woulda kept some for sashimi and poke, but I just didn’t think about it.

Well said, Robert! Full cooler or empty cooler, it just doesn’t matter when you’ve successfully managed to trade a day of work for a day on the water!

I’ve done the same thing, Pat, losing big fish after gaffing them green. I won’t do that anymore. Even if it means a longer fight and potentially sacrificing some meat quality, I’d rather wait until a fish is on its side, then pop it with the bang stick before attempting to gaff it.
    The harpoon is a must whenever I’m fishing solo. If I gaff a fish and can’t lift it over the gunwale, I’m stuck. Can’t let go of the gaff, and can’t move around to retrieve other gear like a rope to secure the fish. I’d just end up standing there with two hands holding onto the gaff and asking myself, “what now”?

Kekoa, I think they have me dialed in! I’ve lost a bunch, but all those marlin bites have me charged up with fishing fever. I don’t remember getting so many marlin bites since 2004, I think. Wasn’t that the last time they were swarming on the south and west sides of Oahu?

Thank you, Mike. I’ve used info I’ve found on this site to help me find the action out there. Glad to contribute a little something in return.

Mahalo, sab.

Hey Garrett, someone told me that the lure is so color-koa that it hurts his eyes! !

18. BUSTIN

BUSTIN Newbie

Name:
    Mark
    Hay Todd Good going on the fish. Glad the lures have been working out for you. I get pleasure in hearing when people catch with my lures. But what puts a smile on my face is when the phone rings and it's Dexter saying to come get a piece. Good going again. Mark

19. force21

force21 Oldie

Name:
    Glenn
    Boat:
    21 Force JAYMIELYN
    Good going Pupule, great catch, report & pics! Keep a Tight Line!

20. Startmeup

Startmeup Official Sponsor of Bloodydecks Advertiser

Name:
    Lee
    Boat:
    Start Me Up Sportfishing
    Pupule nice going on your catch!Thank you for taking the time to post your pictures and story.Doug