Waianae 7/3

ahi lawaia

Jan 17, 2008
Hawaii
Name
CP
Boat
Boston Whaler Conquest 21
Hope everyone had a great 4th of July commemorating and celebrating the birth of our United States, where we are free and have unalienable rights, such as the pursuit of happiness. For most of us in this forum, the pursuit of happiness is the pursuit of fish!

We began our pursuit of happiness early on July 3rd, feeling very hopeful, especially when we turned into the harbor and saw the parking lot with choke boats! The only reason that many guys would be going out would be that the ahi are biting, right? We dropped lines at the first hint of light and worked our way south on the 1KF toward the Nanakuli Valley/power plant area. As the sun rose, we saw many boats working that area, so figured we must be in the right place. But we’ve been there and done that before, where it looks good but there’s no action, or just one or two boats stop while the rest of us make like the Indians in an old cowboy movie and ride in circles around the lucky boat. And so it went, like a movie re-run, but we only saw one boat around which to circle.

After a while all the boats are spread out all over the area, and we found ourselves kind of alone with nobody nearby. Then we hear our center reel tick once and we both nearly get whiplash turning to look behind the boat. Yes! Something’s on but it must be small ‘cause it ain’t even pulling drag. So we go to crank it in and see it’s a cane-knife mahi but, hey, a couple sandwiches is better than a bolohead...right up until it spits the hook behind the motor. Auwe! Soon after we set back up and start moving again, the port rigger bends but doesn’t come down. Whiplash again and we see another cane-knife mahi splashing around, and behind it we see a whole school of them doing their porpoise imitation, chasing malolo. We get the line down from the rigger and start cranking that mahi in. We’re focused in on that mahi and clear the center and port corner out of the way. We want some blood in the box!

Then it happens – KABOOM! – for a split second, we’re both like ”what was that?” then the stbd rigger reel starts howling and we realize what happened…HANAPA’A! I’m telling Danny (probably yelling) to just crank the effen mahi in, we got a big one on! We fly that mahi into the fish box then settle in on what we hope is the right stuff (last time it grew a nose on the way in). It’s looking good, fighting hard and deep. After we’ve both had a couple turns on the reel with so much line still out that the reel is still half empty, I see the angle of the line line coming to the surface and we’re like, “oh no”, but nothing jumps or splashes so we’re still thinking ‘right stuff’. Eventually the angle goes deep again so we’re relieved but, man, this fish is fighting for its life and as it gets closer to the boat it’s even more stubborn. Last time the hook pulled at this point but this time it holds and soon we see color down deep behind the boat. I’m cranking when Danny, who’s got sharper eyes than me, says “Aah, it’s a marlin!” That prompts me to lean over the gunnel for a better look and I’m so happy to see yellow sickles! Y’all know that this is the most worrisome part of the fight, but the ahi is more tired than we are and all goes per script and we get it into the boat. WOOHOO! Hanapaa about 0730 and ahi G&G and buried in ice and back underway about 0830. We play the area for a while more, but nobody's stopping so we make it a short day.

We’re stoked to be, for once, the boat being circled instead of the one doing the circling and we’re celebrating our own declaration of independence from this year’s monkey! Here’s hoping that everyone who’s not yet sent their monkey swimming gets to do so soon. DSC_1242c.jpg

Last edited:

pfont

no mo boat
Jul 6, 2010
mililani
Name
peter fontanilla
Boat
2021 - 14' Livingston (17' Arima Sea Chaser-"kiana" - 1989 - SOLD on 9/16/2016)
nice one cp! :appl: sashimi for the July 4th celebration .... good luck on your next trip:cheers:
mahalo, Pete

Upvote 0

patfishhi

Sep 20, 2007
Oahu
Name
Pat
Boat
32' Blackfin "Kai Nana"
Courtland and Danny,
Chee... good goin' on the critter, it's interesting how the psyche messes with ones thought process... it's an ahi, no its a marlin, no an ahi, no a marlin, it's the right one. I have gone from saying "poked in the eye" to "kicked in the crotch" and after yesterday, my parts are badly bruised...

Cheers
Pat

Upvote 0

shadzdad

Aug 6, 2010
Wahiawa,HI USA
Name
Darren
Boat
building one
Good going getting yours. Was out that day. We got poked in the eye at least 18-20 times. I'd venture to say that we were running circles around you. Lol.

Upvote 0

russell kato

"Kamoku"
Jul 24, 2009
Honolulu, HI
Name
russ
Boat
15' Arima - Kamoku
Congratulations on ridding yourself of that perverbial “monkey on your back! Still early in the season so let’s get some more!

Upvote 0

ahi lawaia

Jan 17, 2008
Hawaii
Name
CP
Boat
Great report and read LOL NICE AHI and Mahi sandwiches TOO!
Thanks; hope you get some too.
Good going on your catch.
Mahalo, Chuck; hope you've been able to get out and get some!
Good going on the ahi and mahi!
Thanks, Jimmy; we saw rain all morning on land and I had just washed my car so made me wonder if that's the trick to getting bit. Must be a PHNSY curse that it rains on our freshly washed cars. Go get your ahi right after you wash your truck.
nice one cp! :appl: sashimi for the July 4th celebration .... good luck on your next trip:cheers:
mahalo, Pete
Howzit Pete! Nice to hear from you; hope all has been well. Mahalo for your kind words; maybe see you at a retiree luncheon?
Courtland and Danny,
Chee... good goin' on the critter, it's interesting how the psyche messes with ones thought process... it's an ahi, no its a marlin, no an ahi, no a marlin, it's the right one. I have gone from saying "poked in the eye" to "kicked in the crotch" and after yesterday, my parts are badly bruised...

Cheers
Pat
Yeah, Pat, we don't get out as often so when we do get one on we hope it's the right stuff not like last time when the marlin we got never jumped so made us think it was an ahi until we saw it, and then the other fish pulled the hook deep behind the boat. But all's good whenever we get fish and make it home safely! You're too good and Kai Nana's too consistent to get bruised much; looking forward to your next post.
Good going getting yours. Was out that day. We got poked in the eye at least 18-20 times. I'd venture to say that we were running circles around you. Lol.
Mahalo, Darren. We've been the ones doing the circling way too often so can definitely relate. It was nice to be on the other side of that for once. You'll get yours soon!
Congratulations on ridding yourself of that perverbial “monkey on your back! Still early in the season so let’s get some more!
Thanks, Russ. Happy to get the monkey off the boat before the sucker grew into a gorilla! Yes, hoping we both can get out there and get lucky again. Tight lines.

Reactions: shadzdad
Upvote 0

JimmyK

Fisherman wannabe
Jun 1, 2009
Waipahu, Hawaii
Name
JimmyK
Boat
18' Olympic CC, Krystana C.
LOL!!! Courtland, I usually wash my truck after going fishing, then within 2-3 days will rain! I'll wash it tomorrow in preps for going out on Friday. Thanks for the blessings...

Upvote 0

Kimi-Some

• Apr 5, 2021
    Oahu, Hawaii
    Name
    Justin
    Boat
    Kimi-Some
    Crazy, Same thing happen to us couple days before that, chasing mahis , flying mahis come outta the water...we hook up 2 then the short corner comes down screaming...we were going down sea at idle when it hit the corner lure

Good going on your ahi!

Upvote 0

ahi lawaia

Jan 17, 2008
    Hawaii
    Name
    CP
    Boat
    I went Monday morning and it was terribly unsuccessful.
    Yikes, hope you get some soon, Pat, got to keep the ma'i from getting too bruised.😉
    Crazy, Same thing happen to us couple days before that, chasing mahis , flying mahis come outta the water...we hook up 2 then the short corner comes down screaming...we were going down sea at idle when it hit the corner lure

Good going on your ahi!
    Way to go on yours, Justin! Maybe we start a new trend; look for ahi under the mahi acting like porpoise, no need the real porpoise? LOL

Last edited:
    Upvote 0

gettingbentwithbo

Subscribe to my YouTube Channel!
    Mar 7, 2009
    Riverside
    gettingbentwithbo.com
    Name
    Bo
    Boat
    16' Starcraft SF SS
    Nice job! You got the Mahi-Ahi