shinchan

I've posted enough I should edit this section
Jul 10, 2008
Kaimuki
Name
Randy
Boat
13' Whaler "Shinchan"
So my friend and I decided to try fishing Waianae again even though I heard through the coconut wireless that the bite was up north.We were in the water at 5am and headed straight out. It seems nobody was home at the pinnacle, fish or boats so we started to head to CO. The water got sporty real quick and I was just about to tighten the shotguns swinging around when the long corner popped off the cleat. The fish ran for about 10 seconds, stopped then followed the boat. I told my friend it was probably an ono and I cranked it in in less than 10 min. This ono looked pretty thick and had yellow fins and it didn't occur to me that this was an ahi until it was next to the boat because all the time I was thinking big ono. Somehow this ahi didn't get the memo that you're supposed to dive down then come up in circles, he swam on the surface parallel to the boat. I told my friend that I had the leader and he'd better gaff this quick. Then the ahi decided to make a last run right at gaff. I tried to hold on but the line slipped through my gloves and made a neat half hitch on my ring finger. I got my arm pulled to the water but luckily he stopped. Two pulls, a good gaff shot, meat hook in and he was in the boat. After that the water got way too nuts for us and we headed in. The lucky lure was a 9 inch pearl Shiroma dressed in salmon and I'm lucky to still have my ring finger lol...

IMG_4132.jpg

IMG_4134.jpg

Last edited:

Holoholo808

Feed fish/burn gas and occasionally catch dinner
Apr 26, 2016
Honolulu
Name
Jason
Boat
Had one fight the exact same way the other day in the exact same area. Maybe all the CO ahi got the memo. Nice fish and glad there were no serious injuries. You guys are on a roll!

Reactions: shinchan

shbite

kailua lures
Apr 8, 2009
kailua hi
Name
steve
Boat
19 glass pro
Last year my friends had did the same thi ng ended up with a bunch of stiches cut right through the glove be careful aloha

patfishhi

Sep 20, 2007
Oahu
Name
Pat
Boat
32' Blackfin "Kai Nana"
Randy and the Captain,
Whatever you are doing DON'T change anything. Glad your hand survived, go get some more.

Cheers
Pat

shinchan

I've posted enough I should edit this section
Jul 10, 2008
Kaimuki
Name
Randy
Boat
13' Whaler "Shinchan"
Congrats! Thanks for the update.
Thanks!
Had one fight the exact same way the other day in the exact same area. Maybe all the CO ahi got the memo. Nice fish and glad there were no serious injuries. You guys are on a roll!
Thanks, I was wondering what it was swimming right to the boat, never seen an ahi do that before and now we know to tire him out a little before grabbing leader....
Last year my friends had did the same thi ng ended up with a bunch of stiches cut right through the glove be careful aloha
I know I was luckly it wasn't a much bigger ahi, the glove was one of those cut resistant gloves with latex grip so I think it would have crushed/bent it more than cut but still thankful I can make a normal shaka haha...
KamiKaze fish. Nice Fish!!
Thanks
Randy and the Captain,
Whatever you are doing DON'T change anything. Glad your hand survived, go get some more.

Cheers
Pat
Thanks Pat, I gotta ride the lucky streak while I can before I roll some snake eyes....
Nice fish. Glad it all turned out ok.
Thanks
That is a beautiful gift congratulations :Smoke_Emoticon:
Thanks, it fed a bunch of family and friends too...
Good going Randy and friend!
Thanks Jimmy! Hope to see you out there!

Reactions: joe pimentel