Waianae - 6/29/2019

Discussion in 'Hawaii Fishing Reports' started by russell kato, Jun 30, 2019.

1. russell kato

russell kato "Kamoku"

Name:
    russ
    Boat:
    15' Arima - Kamoku
    Jonahs been itching to go fish for Ahi but our schedules and the weather hasn’t been cooperating over the past month.Finally was able to swing a day where both of us were available so made plans to go fish Waianae and try our luck. Heard there was a tournament out of Keehi so I wanted to get an early jump to the fishing area and decided to leave my house at 2:15am. Our morning got off to a pretty rough start....all the pastry at 7-11 was gone (especially our good luck long johns), spilled Jonah’s full cup of coffee on the boat deck, dropped his bottle of ice tea and cracked off the cap, forgot to clip down the center rigger to the front cleat and the real killer - my GPS decided to crap out just when I tried to turn it on!
    Had to download a free marine GPS app to my cell phone so I had some idea where I was going only problem was my battery only lasted a couple of hours! Nothing like have good information on where the fish were biting the day before, but not being able to locate it accurately! Had to use old school skill of looking at land marks and occasionally looking at my phone to see what depth we were at. Got lucky early on and picked up a 18lb mahi in the “blind” while heading out to the 1000fm outside of Nanakuli. Around 7:30 Jonah spots a good size bird pile and we continued to play it for about a half hour before finally our portside rigger pops and the Penn 80 starts dumping line! Hanapa’a! Jonah gets the fish to the side of the boat in 20 minutes and I gaffed it and dragged it into the boat. After icing down the fish, cleaning up the bloody mess and resetting the lines, We decide to trolll around a little while longer since it wasn’t even 9:00am! As it turned out, the rest of the morning was uneventful and we turned in and got back to the harbor at 12:30. Felt so blessed to have caught fish considering the rough start we had and without having GPS for the majority of the day!

FF753495-FC08-4207-A57B-DE7C09458933.jpeg 7542E321-C27E-40F0-8C0C-1CBAA5D32788.jpeg

2. Hana Bata Days

Hana Bata Days Member

Name:
    Don
    Boat:
    Hana Bata Days-26 Yellow Fin
    Good going on the Ahi and Mahi. Always something when you are looking for the yellow guys. Go get some more.

russell kato likes this.
  3. patfishhi

patfishhi Registered User

Name:
    Pat
    Boat:
    32' Blackfin "Kai Nana"
    Russ and Jonah,
    Who needs those stinkin' electronics anyways and now you gotta be rethinking the lucky long-john. Glad you scratched Jonahs itch.

Cheers
    Pat

russell kato likes this.
  4. KFD

KFD Newbie

Name:
    Kit Duerr
    Boat:
    Force 21
    The Garmin black and white hand held units are pretty nice we got one as a backup it has a marking above water feature no below feature I think there in the 250$-300 range.

russell kato likes this.
  5. shadzdad

shadzdad Member

Name:
    Darren
    Boat:
    building one
    Russ and Jonah, way to overcome all the obstacles and get a nice ahi. Technology is great but can't beat your experience in old school navigation

russell kato likes this.
  6. russell kato

russell kato "Kamoku"

Name:
    russ
    Boat:
    15' Arima - Kamoku
    Thanks Darren! Was a challenging but rewarding day for sure!
    Thank you Don! Congrats on your last couple of catches!
    Thank you Pat! Damn electronics! Can’t live with them, can’t live without them! But gotta have those lucky long Johns! Lol.
    Thanks KFD for the suggestion, but I prefer one that is color and has a good fish finder/sonar.

7. AKEMI TOO

AKEMI TOO Member

Name:
    Steven
    Boat:
    21 Seaswirl Stripper W/A
    Nice fish! Glad you got your boat running again. Maybe that's the secret, just drive blind. Like they better to be lucky than good.

8. 808shorecaster

808shorecaster Member

Nice going russ

9. russell kato

russell kato "Kamoku"

Name:
    russ
    Boat:
    15' Arima - Kamoku
    Thanks Steven! I agree on the “better lucky than good”. I wish I was so lucky that I didn’t need a GPS!

Thank you!