Waianae 6/12/21 We were there but...

shinchan

Jul 10, 2008
Kaimuki
Name
Randy
Boat
13' Whaler "Shinchan"
we were in the wrong spot. My friend and I decided to try our luck again and left the harbor at 5:15 am and headed straight out. We set lines after the 1000 and headed for the pinnacle. Nothing but a blue desert so after mowing the area for a while we headed to CO until the short chop and whitecaps told us to head the other way. It seems like the bite was early just inside the 1000 straight out of the harbor as I heard a few boats hook up. We saw a few fast-moving piles and followed a few but they didn't pan out. So we headed in and saw an active bird pile right where R buoy is supposed to be. We put away the big stuff and put out 4-inch lures to save the day. Right off we lost one and boated one otaru. Then we had another one on and it dove down as usual then rocketed back around just under the boat. I had to do a few pirouettes just to keep the line from tangling the engine. Never seen an otaru do that before, it was cowering under the chines. Suddenly a big, black shape with a brightly lit blue tail swam under and pushed it away from the boat. It was a marlin, maybe 200-300lbs trying to eat the otaru. The otaru swam back under the boat with the marlin following and my friend almost hit it with the scoop net to scare it away. It backed off and I yanked the otaru into the scoop net. Then the marlin, still lit up, kept circling the boat, looking for the otaru, like a cat looking for a mouse, for about a minute. And that was the highlight of the day lol...

patfishhi

Sep 20, 2007
Oahu
Name
Pat
Boat
32' Blackfin "Kai Nana"
Randy and the Captain,
Good goin' on getting the skunk out of the boat; how tempted were you to get a hook in the Nintendo and toss him back out?

Cheers
Pat

Reactions: shinchan
Upvote 0

shinchan

Jul 10, 2008
Kaimuki
Name
Randy
Boat
13' Whaler "Shinchan"
Randy and the Captain,
Good goin' on getting the skunk out of the boat; how tempted were you to get a hook in the Nintendo and toss him back out?

Cheers
Pat
Thanks Pat, it crossed my mind but I didn't want to trade up at the time while my friend wanted to free gaff him 😲 but that surely would've been a longer write-up and an ER visit to boot LOL