Waianae - 6/04/2015

Discussion in 'Hawaii Fishing Reports' started by russell kato, Jun 5, 2015.

1. russell kato

russell kato "Kamoku"

Name:
    russ
    Boat:
    15' Arima - Kamoku
    Jonah and I was finally able to get our schedules to match so even though the action sounded a little slow at Waianae we decided to go fishing anyway. The last time Jonah was able to go fishing with me was in early March so he just wanted to spend some time on the water. Well, we left home around 3:45 am and by the time we got into he water at Waianae it was almost 5:30 am with the sun already starting to show over the Waianae range.
    I was torn with the decision to run the ledge up to Kaena and see if we could catch us some Onos or head the boat out in search of the elusive "Ahi". With the 'monkey still on my back', I decided to chance em and go hunting. Hunting it was, since I had not heard much in the way of where the ahis were being caught. I did here something about the school of ahis that went north and was around the area between X buoy and LL buoy but that was over a week ago. I decided to start out by going by R buoy, which nobody was home so, onward I went straight out for another 5 miles hoping to find some porpoises or something! The water was super flat and with the lack of bird activity and no porpoises to be found I decided to check out the Pinnacle area in hopes of finding something, anything! I took a nap and let Jonah drive out to the pinnacle hoping to be woken up by the sound of the reel screaming! After sometime, I finally woke up and noticed that Jonah had just passed the pinnacle and there was nothing in sight....no birds, no porpoise, no bait, just a lot of nice flat water all around us! Jonah said that the few birds he did see were all flying out and in the direction of CO buoy so that's where I decided to head to. Up to this point I was lucky if I saw all but 5 birds flying all morning (not even one flying fish) and I started to think to myself " boy, this place is dead, am I going in the right direction? I kept going in that same direction and because I was riding the following sea the boat tended to speed up once in a while and would pop my roller troller holding down my long corner line. The first time the corner popped off I jumped up thinking we had a strike but only to see the bird that was attached to my line fluttering and with no fish at the end of the line! The second time it popped I left it unclipped because it was beginning to irritate me. On one of those times where the boat started to speed up, my portside outrigger pooped and I thought it came down because the boat was racing a little but much to my surprise the reel started screaming and dumping line out...Hanapa'a! After about a 30 minute battle, Jonah had the Ahi circling under the boat and after he was able to gain control of the leader, positioned the Ahi perfectly so I could bangstick it. We got the ahi in the boat and continued to prep the fish by gilling, bleeding and gutting it prior to putting it in the bag. The Ahi gilled and gutted weighed 150 lbs. The Ahi took a Tsutomu Moke plunger dressed with blue silver. Thank you Garrett for those amazing lures! As I looked back on today, I could not help but think how lucky and blessed Jonah and I was to have gotten this ahi because it sure looked dead out there! Tight lines and go get em!

image1.jpeg

Ahi - 6-04-2015 1.JPG

2. Locomoke

Locomoke Newbie

Name:
    Kevin
    Boat:
    185 Edgewater "Malia B"
    Congratulations Russ and Jonah on getting your first ahi of the year! Nice fish!

3. phlynn_stone808

phlynn_stone808 Newbie

Name:
    Phlynn P
    Boat:
    Force 21 Loretta B.
    Congratz Russ and Jonah!
    Good job on not giving up and following your natural instincts!
    That is a very nice Ahi!
    Mahalo for the awesome report!

4. hiloboy

hiloboy Okinawaiian Sencho

Name:
    Donald
    Boat:
    Yamaha 25 SR Flybridge
    Oh dat is nice!! Good job and congrats to you both!

5. patfishhi

patfishhi Registered User

Name:
    Pat
    Boat:
    32' Blackfin "Kai Nana"
    Russell and Jonah,
    What beautiful critter, thanks for the report. Garret does make some nice lures for sure.

Cheers
    Pat

6. force21

force21 Oldie

Name:
    Glenn
    Boat:
    21 Force JAYMIELYN
    1st one for this year! Good going guys.

7. AKEMI TOO

AKEMI TOO Member

Name:
    Steven
    Boat:
    21 Seaswirl Stripper W/A
    Was thinking of changing the luck and launching Keehi tomorrow. Now you confused me, wondering if I should give west another try. Good going on the fish, nice big one. Hope I can get king kong off the boat soon.

8. outrage17

outrage17 Captain

Name:
    Brian
    Boat:
    Whaler 17 Outrage II Jennie-Anne
    Russell, good going on getting that gorilla of your back!

9. superpile

superpile Captain

Name:
    Dave
    Boat:
    Seacret Sauce
    Nice fish Russ, I was out near LL and you didn't miss out on any over here!

10. shinchan

shinchan Newbie

Name:
    Randy
    Boat:
    13' Whaler "Shinchan"
    Nice catch Russ, setting the pace again for us small boat guys!

CartridgeCalls likes this.
  11. changboy

changboy Member

Name:
    Brian
    Boat:
    "PARIS C" 23 sportcraft custom
    Nice fish! still get your puppy treats!

12. 808shorecaster

808shorecaster Member

Nice fish, little boat=big fish and no more monkey.

13. ahi lawaia

ahi lawaia Newbie

Name:
    CP
    Boat:
    Boston Whaler Conquest 21
    Way to go Russ and Jonah! Nice fish and now you get to go after more the rest of the summer with no pressure. Mahalo for posting the story of your adventure.

14. Startmeup

Startmeup Official Sponsor of Bloodydecks Advertiser

Name:
    Lee
    Boat:
    Start Me Up Sportfishing
    Way to stick to the plan! It definitely paid off, good going.

15. JimmyK

JimmyK Fisherman wannabe

Name:
    JimmyK
    Boat:
    17' Seaswirl Striper CC, Krystana C.
    Good going Russ and Jonah!

16. Kinaiahi61

Kinaiahi61 Member

Name:
    Kalani
    Boat:
    Kai Kea
    Nice fish! Totally blessed:)

17. pfont

pfont no mo boat

Name:
    peter fontanilla
    Boat:
    17' Arima Sea Chaser-"kiana" - SOLD on 9/16/2016
    wtg ... the monkey is off your back! ... congrats to you capt. russ and jonah ... btw what was the flavors of the day? as I've always been saying, you give me inspiration! you da man!

peter

18. chuck merkel

chuck merkel Member

Name:
    Chuck Merkel
    Boat:
    21 foot Force Marine, Joslyn M
    Way to go Russ!

19. russell kato

russell kato "Kamoku"

Name:
    russ
    Boat:
    15' Arima - Kamoku
    Kevin, thank you!
    Phlynn, Thanks man! For a awhile there I really felt like we were headed in the wrong direction. What a surprise that was to have gotten a strike and even bigger of a surprise to have been an Ahi!

Donald, Thanks for the kind words!

Pat, Thank you! Tsutomu lures are currently my most favorite lures to run at Waianae....the fish must really I them!

Glen, Thank you! I hope it's not my last!

Steven, thank you! Looks like you made the right decision. Congrats on your nice catches the other day!

Brian, Thank you! Nice to have the pressure off! So when are you going out fishing?

Dave, thank you! Good thing I didn't go Kaneohe...that was one of my first choices before deciding on Waianae.

Randy, Thank you! I haven't heard much from you lately. Have you been fishing?

Brian, thank you Man! Thank you for holding those doggie treats for my dog. Thanks for the smoked Marlin.....it was super good!

Thank you! I like the challenge of fishing off a small boat and catching of Big Fish.

Courtland, Thank you. That will be nice not having to feel that pressure! Hopefully, we can plan to be out there on the same day and hanapa'a!

Thank you!

20. shfish

shfish Member

Name:
    Spencer
    Boat:
    Ohana H, 30' Knife
    Great Job Guys on hanging in there and it payed off nice one "monkey" off that back now go loadem up!!