Start Me Up Sportfishing

Pupule

Feb 16, 2010
Ewa Beach
Name
Todd
Boat
22 ft Islander
Left Waianae Harbor at 9:00 (late start today). Headed out in front of Kepuhi Pt. where FAD R is normally anchored, then set the lines. Weather was pretty mild as I headed further out then veered left toward the pinnacle. It got rough pretty quick. There was a north wind and clouds were building. After a while it started getting cold, windy and rough, so I turned down seas (south) after I ran over the pinnacle.

At 15 miles and 36 degrees, a marlin hit the left rigger. Fought it for about a half hour, then it sliced through the 300# fluorocarbon leader with its bill. Crap!

At this point it was too rough to head in. Trolling in the trough would have been a little dangerous, so I continued down south. Turned left outside of Kahe Pt. when the waves calmed down a bit, then headed in toward Maili.

At 11.1 miles and 9 degrees, I found a pile of mixed birds (madori, aku birds, and BS birds). As I approached the pile I saw porpoises jumping. Motored their way and powered down to 2000 rpm as I got close. Bam! Left rigger takes off again. After dragging the fish for a few seconds I put the boat in neutral and cleared lines. By the time the lines were all out of the water, the fish was straight down and the rod was bent over and straining. Woohooo! Fought the fish for about an hour. Tough buggah….wouldn’t quit. Leadered it up, pushed a harpoon head through its cheeks and roped the tail. Success! Don’t know how big it is. I’ll know tomorrow afternoon when we weigh it.

It’s been a long time…..too long. It’s nice to have the monkey off my back.

Ahi5-11-2014_zpsbe68b233.jpg

Upvote 0

pfont

no mo boat
Jul 6, 2010
mililani
Name
peter fontanilla
Boat
2021 - 14' Livingston (17' Arima Sea Chaser-"kiana" - 1989 - SOLD on 9/16/2016)
wtg todd ... that's one wicked looking tuna! congratulations and go get some more!

Upvote 0

patfishhi

Sep 20, 2007
Oahu
Name
Pat
Boat
32' Blackfin "Kai Nana"
Todd,
Way to go on the ahi, the water was a little funky yesterday, Mother Nature showed you the way. Good going (glad the marlin broke off, other wise you probably would have gone in)!

Cheers
Pat

Upvote 0

shinchan

Jul 10, 2008
Kaimuki
Name
Randy
Boat
13' Whaler "Shinchan"
Solid fish!!! Way to kick off the season! Are you using the harpoon with the "arrowhead" shaped dart? Easier than gaffing? I see it on "Wicked tuna" but never knew that it was used here too.

Upvote 0

Pupule

Feb 16, 2010
Ewa Beach
Name
Todd
Boat
22 ft Islander
---------------------------------------------------------------------
patfishhi wrote:

Todd,
Way to go on the ahi, the water was a little funky yesterday, Mother Nature showed you the way. Good going (glad the marlin broke off, other wise you probably would have gone in)!

Cheers
Pat
---------------------------------------------------------------------

You know, Pat, until I read that, I was feeling pretty bummed about losing that marlin, but you're right. I would have called it a day and made my way back to the harbor as fast as possible had I caught that marlin.

Things lined up nicely for me yesterday. I normally fish exclusively at the Banks this time of year. Last week, I read that there was a Molokai to Oahu paddle board race scheduled for Sunday. Thinking that the Hawaii Kai boat ramp would be completely full, I opted to fish in Waianae instead.

Upvote 0

Pupule

Feb 16, 2010
Ewa Beach
Name
Todd
Boat
22 ft Islander
-------------------------------------------------------

shinchan wrote:

Solid fish!!! Way to kick off the season! Are you using the harpoon with the "arrowhead" shaped dart? Easier than gaffing? I see it on "Wicked tuna" but never knew that it was used here too.

--------------------------------------------------------

Randy,

The setup is a little different than the harpoons the bluefin guys use in the northeast. It's not a one piece harpoon, and I don't throw it. The "arrow" harpoon head fits loosely onto the end of a steel shaft. The steel shaft is mated to the butt end of a fiberglass ulua fishing pole. Total length of butt and shaft is 6 feet. The harpoon head is connected to a cable and a 1/2 inch nylon rope. The rope is clipped to a cleat on the gunwale. When the fish is at leader, I figure-eight the leader to a cleat, to pin the fish's head against the side of the boat. Then I grab the harpoon and drive the harpoon head through the fish. When I draw back the shaft, the harpoon head slides off the end of the shaft and rotates sideways so that it can't come back through the hole in the fish. I figure-eight the rope onto the cleat, and the fish is subdued. Now I can bang stick it if it's still putting up a fight, I can slit its throat with my spear to bleed it out, then I can rope the tail and winch it up using my 2000 lb crank hoist.

Universal Manufacturers in Kalihi sells the complete harpoon rig for $200.

Yes, it's easier than gaffing the fish, especially when fishing alone. I'm 5' 6" tall and 140 lbs. I'm not going to lift a big fish over the gunwale by myself. I can gaff a big fish, but then I'd be stuck with no more options. Can't let go of the gaff, so there would be no way to do anything else toward boating it.

Wishing you all a terrific fishing season in 2014!

Harpoon_zpsb4cca027.jpg

Last edited:
Reactions: Hij
Upvote 0

JimmyK

Fisherman wannabe
Jun 1, 2009
Waipahu, Hawaii
Name
JimmyK
Boat
18' Olympic CC, Krystana C.
Good going on the ahi!!! Todd, I face the same challenges as you, trying to get my wife to do some leadering duties so I can either gaff/harpoon or bangstick, but doing the figure eight on a cleat is a great idea! Going to take a look on the boat tomorrow to see if I can do the same. Thanks for sharing your epic adventure, and your technique too!

Upvote 0

shinchan

Jul 10, 2008
Kaimuki
Name
Randy
Boat
13' Whaler "Shinchan"
Thanks for showing your setup- I have a harpoon too but never brought it onboard since I got the bangstick and I always feel like I carry too much stuff already but your method makes a lot of sense for a solo guy like me so I think I'll give it a try this season.
Mahalo again

Upvote 0