Waianae 3/28/18

Discussion in 'Hawaii Fishing Reports' started by shinchan, Mar 28, 2018.

1. shinchan

shinchan Making other fishermen look good....

Name:
    Randy
    Boat:
    13' Whaler "Shinchan"
    Beautiful day today with light trades so did a run out to S then to the 1000. Saw no signs of life but did find a few porpoise, made a few passes through before I lost them in the morning glare. Made my way from there to V where I saw a small pile just outside the buoy. I was running three 7in lures so when I got there I put out a Clark spoon to see if I could get an aku for dinner. I just set it out in the whitewash, put the rod in the holder and BAM, line zinging out and that was no aku. Spooled me down to the last wraps on my GTI near max drag before breaking line (30lb test). So change of plans, put out all small stuff and long story short, lost two more Clark spoons and a 3 inch pearlhead, two of those on straight 60lb line on a 6/0. I did get 4 (5-8lbs) aku and 4 small (8-9lbs) shibi but the 4 that I lost were decent size. A few boats around me but no one wanted the get in on the pile? Maybe they thought it was just small aku...Whatever it was I couldn't put the brakes on it with a 6/0 before the line broke so time to rig with 130lb next time.....Oh yeah BTW saw that the wash area at the harbor looked open, no cones or tape, pulled in, turn on the faucet and ......NO WATER..... got to wash at home again....

2. shadzdad

shadzdad Member

Name:
    Darren
    Boat:
    building one
    No water but at least no white wash. Good going on the fish. Bummers on the lost lures and washing boat at home. Hopefully next trip out, different results on both

3. myroncuz

myroncuz Newbie

Name:
    myron izuka
    Boat:
    boston whaler 170 montauk
    ah crap hopefully wwater work by monday!

4. myroncuz

myroncuz Newbie

Name:
    myron izuka
    Boat:

5. myroncuz

myroncuz Newbie

Name:
    myron izuka
    Boat:

6. patfishhi

patfishhi Registered User

Name:
    Pat
    Boat:
    32' Blackfin "Kai Nana"
    Randy,
    Good goin' on dropping down in size and getting some blood in the box. Thanks for the intel, hopefully water gets turned on soon.

Cheers
    Pat

7. JimmyK

JimmyK Fisherman wannabe

Name:
    JimmyK
    Boat:
    17' Seaswirl Striper CC, Krystana C.
    Good going, Randy!

8. grander007

grander007 Well-Known "Member"

Name:
    zzzz
    Boat:
    46, Bertram, Deep Blue
    wow no water.... these politicians and administrators are truly third world caliber....

thanks for the report! nice to get a bite and some fish!

tight lines,

9. blufin10

blufin10 TightLines666

Name:
    John
    Boat:
    Hi'ilawe - 78Dyer29
    Well done!

Sometimes the light gear gets the bites.

With your last few posts, I am considering picking up a few Clark spoons.

What reel are you fishing that 30lb on?

I might be able to hot-rod it for you if you want to step up to 80lb spectra with a 30-50lb topshots. I use 80lb spectra w/50 Floro topshots on my lighter standup rigs.

John

CartridgeCalls likes this.
  10. shinchan

Name:
    Randy
    Boat:
    13' Whaler "Shinchan"
    John, the Clark spoons work really well in the aku/shibi piles but you can't put a whole lot of pressure on them before something gives- I've had the hook straighten out a few times (impatience on my part) and my last trip the part that you tie on to, where the spoon swivels around, sheared off the little nub that holds it on. I'm going to try the Clark squid spoon, looks similar but you tie directly to a ring (not wire) and, in theory, maybe a little stronger but it might have a slightly different swimming action. But those spoons have caught everything- aku, shibi, kawakawa, mahi, uku, papio, kaku and I lost a couple of ono from cutting line...

BTW, I'm using an old Penn 330 GTI - it's my aku rig so I use it and cut back abraded line every trip until I need to respool- thank you for the offer though...

11. blufin10

blufin10 TightLines666

Name:
    John
    Boat:
    Hi'ilawe - 78Dyer29
    Randy,

You are right about being careful to not apply too much pressure with that reel. It should be fished with no bigger then 30lb mono, and 12lbs of drag. If you get above 14lbs or so you can damage the gears, warp the frame, or the pawl and worm will fail, sometimes with catastrophic results. These reels were popular with the halibut guys, until they realized their weaknesses.

The best upgrades would be to grease the carbon fiber drags with a teflon-based grease, such as Cal's or Shimano, replace the under gear washer with deleon, maybe remove the levelwind assembly, if not needed, and upgrade to a larger handle knob. The deleon and drag grease will make the drag much smoother.

For this size reel, a Shimano TLD or Charter Special might be a better choice for saltwater trolling. The Charter special can be upgraded with a topless aluminum frame, longer handle arm/larger handle, and remove the levelwind components to make it a solid 65lb or 80lb spectra reel capable of 22+lbs of drag with plenty of line capacity in a small/light weight package.

John

12. Free Bill

Free Bill Member

Name:
    Kyle
    Boat:
    27 Grady
    Got a picture of one of those clark spoons? And What size?

13. shinchan

Name:
    Randy
    Boat:
    13' Whaler "Shinchan"
    20180411_211951.jpg 20180411_212221.jpg Kyle here are some pics, the 1st one on the left is the spoon squid, size 2, the others are regular Clark spoons size 1 and 2 and a couple of Drone spoons size 3.5 with 9/0 hook. In the closeup pic you can see the ring to tie to compared to the regular Clark spoon.

John, I think I'll upgrade when these break down, which will probably last another season or two. I worked my way up from spinners to my shorecasting Jigmasters to these and I'll probably get some Shimanos next.

I'M OFF and JimmyK like this.
  14. russell kato

russell kato "Kamoku"

Name:
    russ
    Boat:
    15' Arima - Kamoku
    Howzit Randy,
    Haven’t heard or seen you in a while....must be busy working! Good going on the Akus and Shibis! Too bad on the cut lines...heard had some good size shibis hanging around in those pile of birds. I’m not a big fan of light gear (not a skilled sport fisherman/impatient). I lost something good size a few weeks ago at the Banks...wish I had put the lure on my Penn 50 VSW than on my spinner! Btw, many years ago I hooked a 100+lb marlin on a 3” Clarkspoon...had the long nose on for 30 minutes before it figured out it was hooked! My Penn 750 with 50lb test mono never stood a chance after that! Much success to you in 2018 and hope to see you around!

15. shinchan

Name:
    Randy
    Boat:
    13' Whaler "Shinchan"
    Aloha and thanks Russell, I'll be looking to you to lead the way for the rest of us in the mosquito fleet this season, I think we're all due some ahi this year! See you out there!

16. mike gaudenti

mike gaudenti CARNAGE

Name:
    Carnage
    Boat:
    21 force
    Good going on the shibi aku mix. Never know when the big boy like eat the little lures. Good going getting a big hook up at least