Waianae 28 July - Tuna Report

chuck merkel

Jun 18, 2007
Hawaii
Name
Chuck Merkel
Boat
21 foot Force Marine, Joslyn M
Left the harbor about 0500 with Roy onboard and made a nice smooth run to the 1000. Set lines and headed to the pinnacles. Passed through the pinnacles area - no birds and no action. Roy saw some birds searching to the south so we headed that way. We never saw any working birds, but several continued to search ahead of us. About two miles south of the pinnacles took a knockdown on the port rigger. About a minute after getting that reset, the center got slammed and one of my Okuma Makaira 80s started screaming - first big fish I have had on these reels and it worked great. Roy took the drag to the button and the fish did not slow down. The fish ran about 400 yards - almost to backing before slowing and heading deep. We got lines cleared and I went to work. Low speed worked well and we had the fish within 100 feet fairly quickly. The fish never made another run, but it took awhile to work him up from there. We got the fish to leader and I got him gaffed. Roy sank the meat hook and another gaff and we got our ahi onboard. Gutted and gilled at the block he went 184. The fishing took a 6 inch ice blue cut face lure dressed ice blue and mavis trolled behind a bird. Here are a few quick pictures. Underway at 0500, 0650 hookup, 0800 fish gutted, gilled and iced. 1100 back in the harbor - great day!!! Video to follow.

DSCN1010.jpgDSCN1014.jpgDSCN1012.jpg

russell kato

"Kamoku"
Jul 24, 2009
Honolulu, HI
Name
russ
Boat
15' Arima - Kamoku
Chuck,
Congrats on that nice looking tuna! I was out on Thursday and got to the Pinnacle at 7:00am and there was nothing there...took same path as you, headed to the Nanakuli Pocket but obviously did not get the same results! Had lots of birds and water was boiling with small aku...that was it for us.

Hij

Aug 1, 2011
Mililani HI
Name
Jason Hijirida
Boat
25 Force, PAIGE H
Congrats on your fatty! I think I saw you at the public storage in Kapolei after fishing! Nice boat!:rolleyes:

Last edited:

patfishhi

Sep 20, 2007
Oahu
Name
Pat
Boat
32' Blackfin "Kai Nana"
Chuck and Roy,
Great day for sure, nice fat ahi, pretty sure we were just leaving when you were getting ready to launch, we went a little more left. My slip neighbor had one that size as well. He was in early also.

Cheers
Pat

chuck merkel

Jun 18, 2007
Hawaii
Name
Chuck Merkel
Boat
21 foot Force Marine, Joslyn M
Thank you Garrett, Russ, Scott, Eric, Jason, Jimmy, Pat and Peter.

Pat and for any others with boats in the water, I hope that you are ready and have no issues with Flossie tonight.

Hope to see you on the water soon.

Chuck

patfishhi

Sep 20, 2007
Oahu
Name
Pat
Boat
32' Blackfin "Kai Nana"
Cool Chuck for taking us thru the morning w/ the vid. Now you need to get some "head bangin'" music in there as a sound track...

Pat