waianae 11/27

Discussion in 'Hawaii Fishing Reports' started by white lightnin, Nov 27, 2011.

1. LundieF

LundieF Member

Name:
    Lundie
    Boat:
    20' Shamrock WA, Maka 'oi 'oi II
    http://www.hawaiibottomfish.info/Doc...ining v2.pdf

http://www.fishbase.us/summary/Sarda-orientalis.html

I'm thinking thats this one. The pic is near the bottom of the pdf. Different from the real dogtooth tuna they catch out in indo. Thats what me and pupule were trying to figure out.

2. H2O man

H2O man Newbie

Name:
    LOREN
    Boat:
    Paris C.
    mahi looks like 15 lbs

3. AhhhPau!

AhhhPau! Newbie

Name:
    MD
    Boat:
    Free and Clear
    Way to balls up and claim it for what it is....an honest mistake. Good luck to you in the future and hope you get the big boys next time. :)
    One thing about locals and teaching habits, they usually break you down to build you up. :) Don't take it personal, just the way most of us have been raised. And about your mahi, good going. Whether it's 15 or 30...still a good catch for a relative newby!

4. erron

erron Newbie

Name:
    erron
    Boat:
    no mo
    Hey Phil, I really respect you man! You took the high road when it came to getting criticism. Don't feel bad as we all do things that others may not like. I congratulate you on your new fishing enthusiasm, and for sharing your passion with other newbies. Fishing, like life/relationships, goes in stages: 1)KILLING just for fun. . .2)Keeping QUANTITY to eat. . .3)Keeping a few QUALITY ones to eat. . .4)Fishing purely for SPORT. . .and finally 5)Fishing for the EXPERIENCE of it and sharing it with others. . . Unfortunately, these stages have nothing to do with age. Therefore, if someone is new to fishing they may still be in the first or second stage. All of these haters did the exact same thing as you when they were kids/young! We all did! When you first have the opportunity to fish from a boat, everything is gravy! Even though your fish may be small, they are large compared to stuff you would have caught from shore, if you caught anything at all. . . and they were fun to catch, too. Besides, fish you catch yourself always tastes better! As long as all the fish were eaten, and not wasted, it's all good in my book. As you fish more, you will eventually move on to the next stages, and no one will need to tell you not to keep the little ones. . .you'll do this on your own. Education at an early age can certainly help others move through these stages more quickly. If you really want to point fingers, what about all the people who catch halalu or oama? Aren't these babies, too! What about people who catch bait fish, and kill them with no guarantee of catching larger fish? What about people who catch more than they can eat just to sell them for money? What about those who catch the ahi BEFORE they drop their eggs? Are they any better than you?! We all need to take responsibility in protecting our environment and resources! Congratulations again on your catch! Hope the fish was ono!

5. white lightnin

white lightnin Newbie

Name:
    philip foster
    Boat:
    white lightnin
    thanks erron. maybe the mahi was smaller, it was my buddies best guess at weight. everything was eaten, we had a get together, and everyone loved it, and wants to go fishing now. i understand the stages, i dealt with all of them in freshwater fishing while growing up in PA, and now that you mention them, i can see that it is happening all over again. as though i am a child again, at the pond.
    you reminding me of this will definately make me progress to the final stage a lot faster. i've already mentioned to friends about setting a boat limit on those little guys. thanks everyone else for the info about the tunas.

6. erron

erron Newbie

Name:
    erron
    Boat:
    no mo
    Phil- I know what you mean. . .it's funny how those stages can go around and around, over and over. My friends and I still enjoy fishing at the "pond", bringing their kids, kicking back and relaxing. Pretty soon it will be the next generation catching all the fish. . . like your son. Never really write anything on here (just lurk), but wanted to give you my support because I thought some of the criticism was a little unfair.

7. J_B

J_B Captain

Name:
    JB
    Boat:
    21' Lightnin' Whaler "Moana B."
    Aloha Phil,

Hope what I said wasn't taken the wrong way... I could tell you just didn't know.

Mahalo for everyone's input. Knowledge is power, and those who aren't greedy get the Luck.

8. LundieF

LundieF Member

Name:
    Lundie
    Boat:
    Just out of curiosity, where do you guys usually draw the line for shibi? Whats a keeper and whats a throw back?

9. russell kato

russell kato "Kamoku"

Name:
    russ
    Boat:
    15' Arima - Kamoku
    Hey Lundie,
    A great question to ask with no real "right" answer but lots of different perspectives. For what it's worth, here is my perspective on this subject.... Rule of thumb being, if I don't like to eat it, I don't try to go after it. When talking about shibi and aku, generally I don't like to eat shibi under 5 lbs because it's got no color, to soft texture, and no taste. I like to eat my tuna raw and usually the bigger the fish the better the texture and taste. If you cook the tuna I quess it wouldn't matter as much. The other principle that influences my catch is that I don't try to take more than I can eat, with the exception of going after larger fish and taking it to the auction block. Plus if you sell your fish (legally), there is a minimum size for tuna. Again, different strokes for different folks...just don't waste our natural resources and catch for catch sake.

10. lois

lois lurker

Name:
    lois
    Boat:
    99 nvrmin
    hey nice catch...it's ok, you didn't know. now you do. next time more pictures! i bet you and the crew caught the fever. good luck next time too!

11. rsokolowski

rsokolowski Member

Name:
    Roy Sokolowski
    Boat:
    currently boatless
    I have a friend that caught small (4-5 pound) dogtooth tuna while bottom fishing (80-300 feet of water) at night. Not a normal catch, but they have been caught here.

12. LundieF

LundieF Member

Name:
    Lundie
    Boat:
    All well and good, but it wasn't a dogtooth. Different species. Read previous posts.