Wahoo tips/techniques

Discussion in 'San Diego Long Range fishing Reports' started by Tim Turis, Oct 18, 2015.

1. NaplesJohn

NaplesJohn Never Forget 343

Name:
    John
    Boat:
    Wilderness Systems T-160...and just sold the boat!!!
    Fckn Wahoo....

Tim Turis likes this.
  2. JohnTFT

JohnTFT Insomniac

Name:
    John
    Boat:
    A big Steel One
    Hey Tim - Didnt it start out as Fckn Slimy Bastards.

Then it became Fckn Slimy Barracuda.

Now it's just Fckn Wahoo?

I like it.

Rodless_Jim, Tim Turis and jmeddy1 like this.
  3. sierraed

sierraed Long rods and big boats

Name:
    Ed
    Boat:
    Royal Polaris and Intrepid
    Hi Tim.
    What a blast to fish with you and the gang. I can hardly wait to put all of the learning to good use on our next trip. I can only imagine what John and I could learn on a long trip with you!

Jaimie said thanks for the wahoo--he wants a bigger one next time, ha! I went fishing with him and Tony this weekend --limits of 2-5# calicos at Santa Cruz on the island Tak. Yellow Fin in the area but not for us today. Talk to you soon.

Tim Turis likes this.
  4. afraser

afraser I've posted enough I should edit this section

Name:
    aaron
    Boat:
    NA
    These are great suggestions. I would add a couple of minor twists to further improve your odds:
    1) When fishing the slide, put in gear early, do not wait the normal 45 seconds. You can drop it back again if you don't get a bite, but I've had great success putting it in gear while the boat is still moving, especially if it is before the others that are also in on the slide. You don't have to be first in the water either, just one of the first to put it in gear. Try a 5-7 second drop sometimes.

2) Fast is the right color, but the right color plus fast will double your bites. It will vary day to day even time of day. I can't count the number of times I switched colors on the same lure and dramatically improved the bite rate. One trip I went from a bite every 10 casts to a bite every cast. Sure it is a pain, but if you have the lures made up and ready, you can switch them out quickly. I think I have about 7-8 different bomb colors and I don't want to count the irons. Personally, I like bombs with tandem offset hooks and heavy fluoro leaders. Last trip, I switched to heavy fluoro (130-170#) and had no biteoffs. I can't say for sure it makes a difference, but it doesn't seem to result in higher lure losses and it sure seems like it should help.

3) If you get short bit, there probably are multiple fish looking at your lure. We dropped back a water wolf camera on a bomb one trip and when the angler got multiple bites, it was almost always a different fish, even if it was one right after another. So if you get a short bite, keep winding hard.

4) When I had rings ahead of the hooks, the wahoo seemed to get their teeth stuck on them. I switched to a short length of wire and the hook rate went up. I prefer to avoid adding any hardware than would hinder the lure sliding through the wahoo's teeth.

5. screamingreel

screamingreel Long Range Fanatic

Name:
    Jeff Burroughs
    Boat:
    Long Range and Private
    Great info, Tim! Great tips from Aaron too...we all do it a bit different, don't we?

Thanks for the write-ups.

- Jeff Burroughs

locvetter and sierraazuel like this.
  6. Paul Dennis

Paul Dennis Member

Name:
    Paul Dennis
    Boat:
    26 ft Boulton
    Tim, I fished with you a couple of years ago on the X, you are a great fisherman and I appreciate your tips!

locvetter and Tim Turis like this.
  7. rdrrm8e

rdrrm8e Fucking Stan

Name:
    chuck
    Boat:
    No
    Why do they call you "dad".....?;-)

8. Avery Gilleland

Avery Gilleland Member

Name:
    avery gilleland
    Boat:
    tuna can
    Excellent info, thank you. I'm a private boater and this wisdom will come in handy this winter in baja.

9. skyrooster

skyrooster Newbie

Name:
    Tom
    Boat:
    Excel
    That bait leader looks awesome!!! Did you make those yourself or do you buy them???
    That explains why you catch so many Wahoo on bait!!!! That rig is totally stealth!!! Good Work

Tim Turis likes this.
  10. etwizard

etwizard Member

Name:
    solomon
    Boat:
    Free 4 All
    There are very few people that I like to read more about their techniques, wins & loses is Tim Turis.
    Thanks Tim for all your tips and tricks on the Wahoo. This being a super wahoo year, El Nino and all, even the likes of me was able to hook up four of them on a recent ten day on the Royal Star. My tale is a little different as I was using 150# Flouro leaders 12" long. No bite offs, no crimp failures, no broken hooks, all good. Since my days of actually using a 150# Flouro top shots are pretty much over, I decided to make some flouro leaders for wahoo by repurposing an older wind-on that I built some ten years ago. The flouro had not exposed to heat or light and did just fine. No cracks, splits or shears. The key in my opinion was the precision in the crimping. The correct size double barreled crimps were selected and the were crimped with the right sized nico-press crimper. A few things to pass along. When you crimp, don't move the crimper past the edge of the crimp. Let the crimp be slightly on the outside of the crimper, so the crimp slightly flairs out. I did not use chafing springs. These leaders caught 3 good sized sharks and two marlin (one unhooked and one good release) in the 130# class. And the wahoo of course.

I think my wire days are done. Fished live sardines with a small J hook. Ringed or not, didn't matter.

11. Pangamaster

Pangamaster Cow Town Here I come!

Name:
    Dave
    Boat:
    SD Long Range or Bay Area Day Boats.
    Ahhhh Mason Rings ....100 for around $14... The answer I was looking for on another post. Thanks Tim!

12. Vedak

Vedak Newbie

Name:
    Gary
    Boat:
    None
    Thank you for the very informative post, I am doing my research for a trip in the not so distant future. This info will be very helpful.

13. Cubeye

Cubeye I've posted enough I should edit this section

Name:
    Kub
    Boat:
    17' Gregor
    Where did you get the rings?

14. Cubeye

Name:
    Kub
    Boat:
    17' Gregor
    Are these Mason Action Rings the round welded wire type or are they the stamped type with the sharp edges?

15. Bill W

Bill W tunaholic

Name:
    Bill Walsh
    Boat:
    Red Rooster
    Mason rings are stamped. Not quite sharp but still not round. Squidco used to sell a really good ring cheaper than anyone but their supply changed and now sell what now looks like Mason rings.

16. rccalhoun

rccalhoun Newbie

Name:
    bob
    Boat:
    none yet
    tim,

being a novice, i re-read your post daily leading up to my long range in december. this is exactly what i need for the wahoo part of my trip. have you (or anyone else on this board) ever posted a go-to 'cows for everyone' tuna guide? if so, i would appreciate the link. thank you for such a thorough, informative and easy to understand guide. bob

17. Cubeye

Name:
    Kub
    Boat:
    17' Gregor
    Thank you for the reply. I used to get my round welded rings from Taniguchi Inc. Is he still around?

18. rickberg

rickberg Member

Name:
    rickberg
    Boat:
    17 montauk bostin whaler
    Good call switching out the hooks, sywash hooks are the worst hooks for wahoo! Also sharpen your hooks like a knife or hunting arrow. Spent a lot of years bowhunting and guiding hunts and arrow tips with a bladed point worked best for splitting or penetrating bone. Bring a file and a diamond stone and make em razor sharp and you will hook more fish. When I get on the boat the crew has made me sharpen their troll gear. When I double my leader I like to use a imperfect spider hitch. I tie the double leader with one line loose because a loose line doesn't cut as easy.

locvetter likes this.
  19. ifish42na

ifish42na No Bad Days

Name:
    Basil
    Boat:
    Friends With Boats
    Bloody Decks doesn't have sticky posts; it really should for excellent posts like Tim's. I nominate it for a Sticky!

locvetter likes this.
  20. Steve K

Steve K Hey, I'm gettin' bit...

Name:
    Steve
    Boat:
    18' Bayrunner, but I like the American Angler and the Red Rooster III
    Second the nomination! There are sticky posts, look at the Penn forum. Actually, with Tim's permission, they could make it into an article like the ones on the margin. Great information.