hatt

I've posted enough I should edit this section
Nov 26, 2013
HBx2
Name
Chris
Boat
Parker 1801
What jigs have you been pulling / has been working? What leaders? Trying to take a shot a landing a local wahoo this weekend

scubasteve2989

Feb 24, 2007
San Diego
Name
stan
Boat
None
Maruaders in black purple , tony the tiger , blue white etc with 3 foot 275 wire leaders. Zuker 3.5 in black purple or mean joe green. cowbells. Wired up xrap 30 in orange or gold.

Reactions: stangclassic66

Posted Up

A "reel" Bill Collector
Apr 14, 2015
Colorado and So Cal
Name
Ryan Boettcher
Boat
44' Post Sportfish
While I can't disagree with anything that has been said above, run the heaviest fluorocarbon you can find as leader. 120lb is preferred. Seriously, you can't believe the difference it makes as opposed to wire, especially on the X-Raps. I've never been bit off, but then again have never been into Wahoo over 40 lps. I have a Yo Zuri Bonito Color Marauder that works well. 3 weeks ago it got a 22lb Hoo.

P.S. I didn't come up with the heavy fluorocarbon idea myself. John Ireland's guys at Rancho Leonaro on the East Cape do this when the Wahoo are here but won't bite.

hatt

Nov 26, 2013
HBx2
Name
Chris
Boat
Parker 1801
Thanks for the tips fellas! I was thinking about running really heavy fluoro instead of wire as I would rather have more chances getting bit then not getting bit at all. Anyone else have experience or an opinion on the topic?

stangclassic66

USCG Master
Oct 21, 2004
San Diego/SF Bay
Name
Capt. Erik
Boat
21' Center Console
125lb mono for wahoo doesn't sound safe and you might be out a marauder or two if they bite.

If you absolutely "had" to run mono, i'd run 300-400lb. Otherwise, 275lb steel leader but make absolutely sure it's the 49 strand wire uncoated. Very flexible and doesn't affect action of the marauders.

makairaa

May 1, 2005
Tustin CA
Name
Philip Hunkins
Boat
17 starcraft
Pacific Coast Sportfishing October 2014

epagepub.com › publication
Read the article on wahoo by Bob Hoose on pg 32 I believe. It will answer a lot of your questions.

hatt

Nov 26, 2013
HBx2
Name
Chris
Boat
Parker 1801
Does the coated wire really mess with the action on the jigs? All I have right now is 250# coated and thinking if it is worth running out to find uncoated ahead of the weekend. Does seem pretty stiff..

Posted Up

A "reel" Bill Collector
Apr 14, 2015
Colorado and So Cal
Name
Ryan Boettcher
Boat
44' Post Sportfish
I never have tried spectra. Hmmm. Good thought. It was asked above if the wire effects the action. I personally don't think it effects it that much, except on X-Raps. I think the reason why Rancho Leonero uses the Flouro when wahoo are slow to bite is more of a visual thing and for the same reasons most of us prefer floro to mono on finicky tuna. Strangclassic66 said above that he'd opt for 250# mono and I certainly couldn't disagree with that. I'm like you, I'd rather get bit. Heck, who knows if a dang wahoo that is swimming at 30mph charging a jig cares...in my personal opinion and experience, they do for the same reasons tuna do. There will be floro on my marauders and x-raps this weekend. I get off the plane at 6:30pm tonight and couldn't be more stoked.

titos334

VIP Elite Member
Aug 19, 2012
Hell
Name
Kevin
Boat
Rainbow Surprise
You don't want spectra anywhere near the mouth of a teethy fish

stangclassic66

USCG Master
Oct 21, 2004
San Diego/SF Bay
Name
Capt. Erik
Boat
21' Center Console
Does the coated wire really mess with the action on the jigs? All I have right now is 250# coated and thinking if it is worth running out to find uncoated ahead of the weekend. Does seem pretty stiff..
Hatt, major difference between uncoated 49 strand and coated 7 strand. Go out and get the uncoated 49 strand with proper crimps. If you have doubts, bring your coated with you to the store and compare them, it will be a no brainer after you compare the flex.

I've only gone out for wahoo once this year and got lucky. But prior to that I did a lot of research and asking around before I rigged my marauders. Lots of different types of ways to rig them but I listened to the ones that actually caught fish and had a good explanation. Use solid stainless rings on the crimped loop that goes to the ball bearing swivel to main line.

I've read that the marauder is a reaction striking lure, meaning they just go for it because of the vibration plus it's on either side of the prop wash so my feeling is the wire is masked well.

The 49 strand also requires a decent set of cutters to cut so in turn its harder for the wahoo to cut. Supposedly they try to saw the fish in half and if they miss they can slice your mono/fluoro easily. After we bashed our wahoo's brains in i felt his teeth and they aren't razor sharp but I can see how they can "saw" a bait in half with both jaws.

I can see how some of you guys are willing to sacrifice using 300-400lb mono to hook a wahoo but in all honesty, the finesse approach is no good if you can't get him to gaff which is the end goal here.

makairaa

May 1, 2005
Tustin CA
Name
Philip Hunkins
Boat
17 starcraft
Hatt, major difference between uncoated 49 strand and coated 7 strand. Go out and get the uncoated 49 strand with proper crimps. If you have doubts, bring your coated with you to the store and compare them, it will be a no brainer after you compare the flex.

I've only gone out for wahoo once this year and got lucky. But prior to that I did a lot of research and asking around before I rigged my marauders. Lots of different types of ways to rig them but I listened to the ones that actually caught fish and had a good explanation. Use solid stainless rings on the crimped loop that goes to the ball bearing swivel to main line.

I've read that the marauder is a reaction striking lure, meaning they just go for it because of the vibration plus it's on either side of the prop wash so my feeling is the wire is masked well.

The 49 strand also requires a decent set of cutters to cut so in turn its harder for the wahoo to cut. Supposedly they try to saw the fish in half and if they miss they can slice your mono/fluoro easily. After we bashed our wahoo's brains in i felt his teeth and they aren't razor sharp but I can see how they can "saw" a bait in half with both jaws.

I can see how some of you guys are willing to sacrifice using 300-400lb mono to hook a wahoo but in all honesty, the finesse approach is no good if you can't get him to gaff which is the end goal here.
Once the fish is hooked it generall does not matter what leader you use because the hooks and lure keep the wahoo teeth away from the leader, unless you are using marlin lures. I know people who have caught dozens of wahoo on 130# flouro leaders on marauders and never lost a lure once. On slow days the flouro will get 6 to 7 times as many bites as wire. On good days it does not matter. Same as wire or no wire on irons.