Intrepid Fan

No Cal Lou
Oct 1, 2009
Green Valley, Az
Name
Lou Salatich
Boat
none
Actually fished Excel a number of times and caught a number of wahoo on it. I like the extra beam, lower freeboard, and a less severe sheer line towards the bow which makes the bow area (to me) better than some other boats I’ve been on. Never been bothered by the bait wells, not fishing the slide, or it being supposedly a “wet boat”.

I’m quite happy fishing on Excel but hey, different strokes, different folks. Cheers!
Thank you. And you are right, different strokes , different folks

Upvote 0

Yellowtail Dan

I Post A Lot But I Can't Edit This
  • Apr 10, 2006
    Roseville Ca
    Name
    Dan
    Boat
    Excel, American Angler
    I fished the Excel on a 12 day and had no issues with bait or getting bait in the live wells. It’s a big boat that’s lower to the water and a dream to fish from especially on the longer trips. As for wahoo, I caught plenty on it fishing there jig so any rules they have weren’t an issue.

Some guys just get butt hurt and feel they have to bash a boat because they’ve moved on to a new boat. It’s just a matter of time before one of the crew laughs or makes a comment and they’ll have to change their name again and find a new ride.

lot’s of great info here already, just wind like hell and don’t stop when your bit and be ready to run and keep winding. Have fun

Upvote 0

Intrepid Fan

No Cal Lou
    Oct 1, 2009
    Green Valley, Az
    Name
    Lou Salatich
    Boat
    none
    To get back on the subject,
    The original post was regarding a person that is new to wahoo fishing. That person is going to need all the help he can get. Being on a boat that doesn't allow one to fish on the slide takes away a easy opportunity for him to catch Wahoo. From some of the responses I see that the anglers that fish for Wahoo frequently sometimes forget that their skills don't translate to a unexperance fisherman. Then the responses from others shows that don't know anything about Wahoo fishing.

Upvote 0

Tom Honaker

I Should Upgrade My Account
    Sep 27, 2015
    Hotchkiss Colorado
    Name
    Tom Honaker
    Boat
    Royal Star
    Why one of the biggest boats in the fleet has this rule, I don't know. Other boats do not have a problem. ??
    That boat is huge, when the skipper throws it out of gear after a jig strike, it keep going quite a ways, Captain doesn't want a Mongolian cluster fuck with 30 guys fishing the slide and possibly sawing off the troll fish.

jer dog

Fishing is life
    Jun 22, 2006
    Garden Grove
    Name
    Gerry
    Boat
    One that floats
    That boat is huge, when the skipper throws it out of gear after a jig strike, it keep going quite a ways, Captain doesn't want a Mongolian cluster fuck with 30 guys fishing the slide and possibly sawing off the troll fish.
    Some guys just don’t get it, lol

Reactions: anemic
    Upvote 0

JohnTFT

Insomniac
    Feb 11, 2007
    The "718"
    Name
    John
    Boat
    A big Steel One
    Have him fish bait.

Im serious - much easier to catch a Hoo while bait fishing. Then he could switch over to jigs and bombs.

Fishing bait will also give him more valuable experience picking and pinning baits on the hook.

The Excel is 400 tons. It doesnt stop when the boat comes out of gear like some of the other boats do. They could slow it down putting the gear boxes in reverse but, why the wear and tear on the equipment?

And when someone does fish the slide on the X - trolled fish get burnt off frequently.

You need to fish the slide - great - there are many other boats that allow it.

Is anyone going to start a which boot should I buy thread?

I miss those.

Upvote 0

FishRock

Still trying to figure it all out
    Mar 27, 2013
    Alaska
    Name
    JAM
    Boat
    Thunnus - 22' Koffler BayBee (1990)
    I had this same situation with my son joining me for his first LR trip. I purchased a spinning outfit for him. Will see how it works out in January.

Upvote 0

Tom Honaker

Sep 27, 2015
    Hotchkiss Colorado
    Name
    Tom Honaker
    Boat
    Royal Star
    Have him fish bait.

Im serious - much easier to catch a Hoo while bait fishing. Then he could switch over to jigs and bombs.

Fishing bait will also give him more valuable experience picking and pinning baits on the hook.

The Excel is 400 tons. It doesnt stop when the boat comes out of gear like some of the other boats do. They could slow it down putting the gear boxes in reverse but, why the wear and tear on the equipment?

And when someone does fish the slide on the X - trolled fish get burnt off frequently.

You need to fish the slide - great - there are many other boats that allow it.

Is anyone going to start a which boot should I buy thread?

I miss those.
    I'm waiting for the, is it ok to bring a excercise bicycle on my long range trip thread to fire up again! That one was a doozy!

Upvote 0

Tom Honaker

Sep 27, 2015
    Hotchkiss Colorado
    Name
    Tom Honaker
    Boat
    Royal Star
    Leaving on a 10 day a week from tomorrow and having a buddy join me. He's a good freshwater fisherman but fairly new to the saltwater scene. he has a few set-ups to cover him on light/medium bait and I've got some stuff to loan him for heavier applications . The biggest hole in his set-ups would be for wahoo bombs. I'm loaning him a UC Predator (or a Monster) with a Tiburon 6 which would be a great set-up for this however he's not too sure about the casting aspects of a conventional reel (100yds mono topshot,spectra backing).

Like to get folks thoughts on another option for him. I have a Rainshadow RCJB 96H (rated 30-60) that could be paired with a Shimano Thunnus 12K. I know that the gear ratio is not ideal (aprox 38 inches per crank) so he would have wind the windy thing like a crazy man. That being the case, anyone have thoughts about the rod itself being ok for wahoo?

Thanks in advance!
    I have 3 Rainbow rods, love them! The Rainshadow rclb80m is a killer 40-50# stick , I fish 50# on bombs and jigs for wahoo, I've used it at Guadalupe as a 40# on tuna and caught fish over 100# with no issues, plus you can cast sardines well since it's a 8 foot rod, the RCJB 84xxh is a bad ass 80# pound stick, have caught bluefin up to 200# on it using lighter 200-250 gram jigs at night. The Rcjb 84 H is a 40# 7 foot rod, I've only caught a couple tuna on it, but really like it too. The first 2 rods mentioned, you'd have to pry them out of my could dead hands to get them. Salty dawg wrapped them.
    Leaving on a 10 day a week from tomorrow and having a buddy join me. He's a good freshwater fisherman but fairly new to the saltwater scene. he has a few set-ups to cover him on light/medium bait and I've got some stuff to loan him for heavier applications . The biggest hole in his set-ups would be for wahoo bombs. I'm loaning him a UC Predator (or a Monster) with a Tiburon 6 which would be a great set-up for this however he's not too sure about the casting aspects of a conventional reel (100yds mono topshot,spectra backing).

Like to get folks thoughts on another option for him. I have a Rainshadow RCJB 96H (rated 30-60) that could be paired with a Shimano Thunnus 12K. I know that the gear ratio is not ideal (aprox 38 inches per crank) so he would have wind the windy thing like a crazy man. That being the case, anyone have thoughts about the rod itself being ok for wahoo?

Thanks in advance!
    I have some Rainshadow rods I love, check out a couple for Tuna Tom's quiver on bloodydecks. Bill Havens, wrapped some rods for me, one is a Rainshadow RCLB80M, the other is a UC preadator, he also wrapped a Rainshadow RCJB 84xxh. They are badass! I really like those rods!

Upvote 0

Tom Honaker

Sep 27, 2015
    Hotchkiss Colorado
    Name
    Tom Honaker
    Boat
    Royal Star
    I have 3 Rainbow rods, love them! The Rainshadow rclb80m is a killer 40-50# stick , I fish 50# on bombs and jigs for wahoo, I've used it at Guadalupe as a 40# on tuna and caught fish over 100# with no issues, plus you can cast sardines well since it's a 8 foot rod, the RCJB 84xxh is a bad ass 80# pound stick, have caught bluefin up to 200# on it using lighter 200-250 gram jigs at night. The Rcjb 84 H is a 40# 7 foot rod, I've only caught a couple tuna on it, but really like it too. The first 2 rods mentioned, you'd have to pry them out of my could dead hands to get them. Salty dawg wrapped them.

I have some Rainshadow rods I love, check out a couple for Tuna Tom's quiver on bloodydecks. Bill Havens, wrapped some rods for me, one is a Rainshadow RCLB80M, the other is a UC preadator, he also wrapped a Rainshadow RCJB 84xxh. They are badass! I really like those rods!
    Well, didn't mean to be redundant, didn't realize the first response went through!

Steve K
    Steve K
    That’s not so redundant as much as enthusiastic!
    Upvote 0
    Upvote 0