Wahoo on bait

Discussion in 'San Diego Long Range fishing Reports' started by freegaff2, May 1, 2019.

1. freegaff2

freegaff2 Well-Known "Member"

Name:
    Craig Simcox
    Boat:
    none
    Trip on the AA last Oct we ended up with 192 :D Most came on bombs and jigs...I fished bait the whole time...trying to perfect a few things(if that's possible with these freakin' fish). New fish on the ridge...it had been slow the three weeks before we got there, but we did over a hundred the first day at the 23. And big, and very aggressive. I lost 7 fish that bit through 32# wire. I normally would fish 27# in a pick bite, and never really try to fight the fish...just kind of lead it to the boat in the end. Not with these fish...fought every inch of the way. So I'm now tying up 38 and 44# leaders too...all single strand, haywire twist. It's what I'm comfortable with. I think the fish would have bit the 44# last Oct, they were that aggressive. Probably be a pick bite this fall...day late, dollar short. I'm learning there really is no answer, but you are screwed if you don't prepare :D

ZZZZZ likes this.
  2. tugasangler

tugasangler Well-Known "Member"

Name:
    James
    Boat:
    Yankee Capts
    Any pics of the rigs with hook ?

Also Ever try titanium ? I started using it at 70lb in 2016 in the gulf and now I’m down to 40lb, but the 70lb rigs I made caught countless fish from barracuda to wahoo and everything in between and .... ARE STILL GOOD.

3. Cubeye

Cubeye I've posted enough I should edit this section

Name:
    Kub
    Boat:
    17' Gregor
    Yep. 38 and 44# for me. I used to use 27# for anchovies, but came to the conclusion that it's too light. Lose too many wahoo. I did rig up some 45# Titanium Nickel wire. Expensive, but it lasts longer than SS wire. And now I'm hearing that the Nickle-Titanium alloy will straighten out when heat is applied to it (hot water).

freegaff2 likes this.
  4. shellback

shellback Well-Known "Member"

Name:
    shellback
    Boat:
    other peoples
    I think titainium wire will go between a wahoo's teeth where stranded wire gets bit off...

ZZZZZ likes this.
  5. okie man

okie man I've posted enough I should edit this section

Name:
    kerry way
    Boat:
    18' javalin
    Sometimes going shorter instead of lighter on the wire helps in a pick bite!

Cubeye likes this.
  6. ZZZZZ

ZZZZZ natural born jig slingers

Name:
    Boat:
    Jet Ski Yamaha FX Show. ZZZZZ
    100 big hoos in a day. Now that is epic. Yah for sure bump it up if your getting bit off a few times

Wahoo are just nutz. Watched a hoo attack my greenie just off the bow. Snagged the fish just above the tail with a live bait. With a cheapy bronze off set mustad

7. freegaff2

freegaff2 Well-Known "Member"

Name:
    Craig Simcox
    Boat:
    none

8. greatbasin

greatbasin Member

Name:
    Greg
    Boat:
    Knot Yet
    Nothing to add here really, except I caught my first and only Wahoo on bait. Used a 3/0 circle hook and 60 lb. floro. No wire.
    Luck does play a part sometimes.

ZZZZZ likes this.
  9. ZZZZZ

ZZZZZ natural born jig slingers

Name:
    Boat:
    Jet Ski Yamaha FX Show. ZZZZZ
    My first non troll wahoo. Alijos straight 50# izor gorilla hook. First fish landed for the boat. I love luck

Yellowtail Dan and caveman like this.
  10. Yellowtail Dan

Yellowtail Dan I've posted enough I should edit this section

Name:
    Dan
    Boat:
    Excel, American Angler
    I caught a wahoo on 40lb mono straight tied to a 3/0 Mutu down on th banks a couple years ago. Perfect hook set right in the corner. Sometimes it’s better to be really lucky then good

I would go with the lightest wire possible. Under 40. You’ll get bit more and bit through more but you can’t land them if they don’t bite

11. backlashjack

backlashjack Scallywag

Name:
    Jackson
    Boat:
    Sold the boat, now I just rent a stateroom on the EXCEL
    I've only caught 1 hoo on bait. 100# FC at Clarion w/ circle hook. It wasn't really what I was targeting, but it was tasty. :D
    I prefer bombs & jigs (I'm just a glutten for punishment).
    Watched Justin Fleck just kill it on bait on a trip he was passenger on (but what would he know about fishing, huh - LOL). It definitely works.
    :jig:

12. Steve K

Steve K Hey, I'm gettin' bit...

Name:
    Steve
    Boat:
    18' Bayrunner, but I like the American Angler and the Red Rooster III
    I vividly remember my first Wahoo on bait, back in 2005. On an early October 10 day at Alijos Rocks on the anchor, flylining Sardines, catching some good grade Yellowfin. (Remember those days?) I saw the fish jump out of the water, arcing down on my bait about 100 yards behind the boat. Felt the tug, put it in gear and came tight. Cool stuff, right there!

Had quite the opposite experience on the 14 day, trying for a Wahoo, same venue. Hooked a decent tuna, fought it for a while until the 2/0 Mustad 94150 hook straightened out. Bye bye.

freegaff2 likes this.
  13. stephen campbell

stephen campbell aka "Soup"

Name:
    Stephen Campbell
    Boat:
    S/V Bluechablis Valiant 40
    DSCF1257.JPG
    "Msz B" caught this one on 100# sunline flouro, the rest of us were flylinning for tuna! hahahaha Guess she didn't get the memo!

Yellowtail Dan and Msz. B like this.
  14. reellady

reellady I'd rather be catching TUNA

Name:
    donna
    Boat:
    reel lady
    It took me well over 15 years to finally catch hoo on a bomb or lure, always caught on bait more than my share and limits when everyone else was throwing. Had to pass off and give away many. Soda is my witness to this.

backlashjack and FishRock like this.
  15. FishRock

FishRock I've posted enough I should edit this section

Name:
    JAM
    Boat:
    Thunnus - 22' Koffler BayBee (1990)
    Donna,

I took your advice 6 years ago and picked up some Braid Wahoo leaders. They worked great to catch my first 5 wahoo at that rocks!

reellady likes this.
  16. Steve K

Steve K Hey, I'm gettin' bit...

Name:
    Steve
    Boat:
    18' Bayrunner, but I like the American Angler and the Red Rooster III
    On the anchor at the Rocks, I attached a 2 oz torpedo sinker to my line, dropped in right next to the hull, forward of the bait tank. By the time I made my way to the corner, I was bit. So much for those long casts, long soaks.

stephen campbell likes this.