FishRock

Still trying to figure it all out
Mar 27, 2013
Alaska
Name
JAM
Boat
Thunnus - 22' Koffler BayBee (1990)
So I am a cheapskate and don't have a good handle on the relative relationship between drag level and line capacity to fish Wahoo. I know that most if not everyone would not recommend the use of an Avet SX for Wahoo fishing but since I have a couple for bottom fishing and will be going on a LR trip I was considering it. If I run spectra for most of the spool (300+ yrds) and put 30 to 40 lb topshot on will I just get spooled with the 7 - 14 lbs of drag the SX puts out? Is this just a butter knife to a gun fight scenario or is it reasonable at some level?
:rolleyes:

@-EZ

Fail, try again.
Apr 9, 2007
San Diego, CA.
Name
Max
Boat
Trophy Pro, @-EZ
So I am a cheapskate and don't have a good handle on the relative relationship between drag level and line capacity to fish Wahoo. I know that most if not everyone would not recommend the use of an Avet SX for Wahoo fishing but since I have a couple for bottom fishing and will be going on a LR trip I was considering it. If I run spectra for most of the spool (300+ yrds) and put 30 to 40 lb topshot on will I just get spooled with the 7 - 14 lbs of drag the SX puts out? Is this just a butter knife to a gun fight scenario or is it reasonable at some level?
:rolleyes:

I think so. I don't know that I would attempt a hoo on an SX.

I do use an SX for 20-35lb Albies, BFT and YFT but that is about all those little reels have in them. And it's an ass kicker too.

I would step up to at least an LX backed with a whole bunch spectra.

Good luck in your adventure.

And please let us know what you chose, and the end result.

stairman

May 16, 2009
ramona /ca/usa
Name
doug
Boat
yak and lowe duck hunting skiff but they identify as sportfishing crusiers
trouble with using an sx would be the 150 pound tuna that might be there too...maybe you could pin a note on the bait or jig

dh515

I've posted enough I should edit this section
Sep 18, 2004
So Cal
Name
David
Boat
Intrepid, Red Rooster III, Spirit of Adventure
I don't think it's line capacity that's lacking so much as drag. A lot of guys fish 50 or 60# for wahoo with "stupid" tight drags. The heavier line for less stretch and tight drags for ability to set the hook in their bony rock hard mouth.

As an example of how your reel might match up, my favorite reel for this is a Shimano TN40 narrow filled with 80# solid spectra with a short doubled 4' topshot of 60# fluoro. Drag is set at 20#'s. You'll be amazed at how fast even a small hoo can pull line off your reel even against 20's of drag. Fortunately, they burn out fast, usually going less than 100 yards and they're done. No stamina, unlike tuna. Hardest part about catching one is getting the hooks to stick. Oh yeah, hang a good tuna on this rig and you're toast.

I don't have an SX but might be good for fishing wahoo on bait.

tackle

Mar 26, 2013
IE
Name
bluewater
Boat
big boat
It might be a little too small, but if it's all you got go for it! You're not gonna die from trying. Also, odds are, you will be able to land it! It'll just be a really fun fight! Good luck and let us know how it goes!

bbuck

Dec 20, 2005
On the Water
Name
Buck
Boat
sunk
You didn't say if your using it for bait or bombs. If you are going to fish bombs, than no. The SX is way too slow for that. If however you will use it as a wahoo bait reel (sardine's) than the answer is yes. You don't need a lot of line cap. for wahoo. They go very fast, but not very far. The SX, even without the Raptor upgrade is strong enough. As for your concern about a big tuna on wahoo gear, forget it. Throw the reel into full, point the rod tip at the fish and break him off. Your just wasting your time otherwise.

G-Spot

Captain
Mar 14, 2008
Salem/OR/USA
Name
John
Boat
53’ Hatteras STEEL N TIME
Line capacity is not your issue as said above... Drag.... you will be severely lacking drag.... don't waste your time... you want a reel with at least 20 lbs of drag.... I think the SX only give 12 lbs of drag... if you manage to catch one fish, then the drag will progressively get worse and loose the ability to slow them down....

Then as others mentioned.... what happens when a 110 lb tuna comes up into the hoo and snatches your bomb.... That happend to me on an HX, and I was glad I had drag to bring it in.. Spend all that money to book a trip, take valuable time away from work and family and fuck yourself with a reel that is not up to challenge... Don't do it...

Fishybuzz

fishybuzz
Apr 4, 2003
Tucson
Visit site
Name
David Tang
Boat
Intrepid
Line capacity is not your issue as said above... Drag.... you will be severely lacking drag.... don't waste your time... you want a reel with at least 20 lbs of drag.... I think the SX only give 12 lbs of drag... if you manage to catch one fish, then the drag will progressively get worse and loose the ability to slow them down....

Then as others mentioned.... what happens when a 110 lb tuna comes up into the hoo and snatches your bomb.... That happend to me on an HX, and I was glad I had drag to bring it in.. Spend all that money to book a trip, take valuable time away from work and family and fuck yourself with a reel that is not up to challenge... Don't do it...
Damn John you have a way with words :rofl:

In short the answer is "No"

backlashjack

Scallywag
May 14, 2007
Alta Loma, CA
Name
Jackson
Boat
Sold the boat, now I just rent a stateroom on the EXCEL
For 27# wire tied to a piece of 30# mono with spectra backing it should be fine for bait, but that would be it. Don't waste time trying to use it for jigs.
I've seen that most people fishing wired bait for Wahoo are tying wire to 30# mono / fluoro and not fishing too tight of a drag.
I use a little Accurate 197 for Wahoo bait fishing on the 27# wire.

yft1979

Sep 7, 2004
Murrieta
Name
Garrett
Boat
-
For 27# wire tied to a piece of 30# mono with spectra backing it should be fine for bait, but that would be it. Don't waste time trying to use it for jigs.
I've seen that most people fishing wired bait for Wahoo are tying wire to 30# mono / fluoro and not fishing too tight of a drag.
I use a little Accurate 197 for Wahoo bait fishing on the 27# wire.
x2, will be using an sx later this month with this technique...

FishRock

Mar 27, 2013
Alaska
Name
JAM
Boat
Looks like I will take the SX along and use it to bait fish Hoo when the tuna are scarce. I can also put this rig to use making bait when the tuna are around. Thanks for all the advice. I will try to remember to post an update when I get back.

Cheers,

RaceKTMs8

Well-Known "Member"
Dec 18, 2006
Agua Dulce, CA
Name
Dan Noll
Boat
none
In the 80's I experienced 4 days at the rocks catching wahoo and tuna. Wahoo in the bow, tuna off the stern. Picked up 8 hoo on my Penn 506. The mini jig-master with bearings Decided to give the wifes Diawa LD 30 a try. Three straight breakoffs? Went back to any of my old penns. No problems. I am really convinced it's not about absolute drag but how consistent and smooth it is during thos fiirst two sizzling runs. 10lbs of drag on 30lb Ande. After that just keep crankin.
I leave the 22 for a 16 day. This whole thread just encougaed me to take my SX just for the fun. Now my buddy says he is taking a spinner. God help us if we get slammed by a real tuna.!!!

FishRock

Mar 27, 2013
Alaska
Name
JAM
Boat
In the 80's I experienced 4 days at the rocks catching wahoo and tuna. Wahoo in the bow, tuna off the stern. Picked up 8 hoo on my Penn 506. The mini jig-master with bearings Decided to give the wifes Diawa LD 30 a try. Three straight breakoffs? Went back to any of my old penns. No problems. I am really convinced it's not about absolute drag but how consistent and smooth it is during thos fiirst two sizzling runs. 10lbs of drag on 30lb Ande. After that just keep crankin.
I leave the 22 for a 16 day. This whole thread just encougaed me to take my SX just for the fun. Now my buddy says he is taking a spinner. God help us if we get slammed by a real tuna.!!!
Funny you should mention 30 lb. Ande. I have used it for years and really like it (not that I have ever taken the time to test a wide variety of competing lines). I am using it as the topshot on my SX with spectra backing. From the replies I have recieved it seems like the SX will work for Wahoo but I should probably stay away from the crowd to avoid tangles should it turn into an extended fight. And I should also accept the fact up front that if I get bit by a larger fish it will likely be game over quick.

It would be nice to hear how your 16 day goes and if you put the SX to work.

Cheers,

Fear no fish but respect them all!

broton

Dec 23, 2004
San Clemente
Name
KC
Boat
23 Cobra Performance
I am heading on a 14 day in a few weeks (23 days to be exact) and I wasn't going to take my SX, now I think I may. I think it would be fun to catch a wahoo on it. I will be using my SX Raptor but hell yeah, it would awesome!

FishRock

Mar 27, 2013
Alaska
Name
JAM
Boat
I am heading on a 14 day in a few weeks (23 days to be exact) and I wasn't going to take my SX, now I think I may. I think it would be fun to catch a wahoo on it. I will be using my SX Raptor but hell yeah, it would awesome!
I don't leave for another 230 days! So please let me know how it goes.

bbuck

Dec 20, 2005
On the Water
Name
Buck
Boat
sunk
Their seems to be some confusion about appropriate drag for wahoo. When bomb or jig fishing heavy drag is needed. I use a JX Raptor that gets 22 lbs. at strike with straight spectra to the wire. It stops the 30lb.er's dead in the water and jams the hook into their jaws. The bigger hoo's will make a short run. When bait fishing it's just the opposite. I use light mono (40#Ultra) and light drag, 6 or 7 lbs. Let them make their run (or two) then they will come in fine on the 11 or 12 lbs. the SX gets.

FishRock

Mar 27, 2013
Alaska
Name
JAM
Boat
Their seems to be some confusion about appropriate drag for wahoo. When bomb or jig fishing heavy drag is needed. I use a JX Raptor that gets 22 lbs. at strike with straight spectra to the wire. It stops the 30lb.er's dead in the water and jams the hook into their jaws. The bigger hoo's will make a short run. When bait fishing it's just the opposite. I use light mono (40#Ultra) and light drag, 6 or 7 lbs. Let them make their run (or two) then they will come in fine on the 11 or 12 lbs. the SX gets.
That is definitely focusing more on my original question. But I guess I am still missing something here. What would happen if you tried jigging or tossing a bomb with the lighter drag setup? Difficulty setting the hook or maintaining a tight line?

Fishybuzz

fishybuzz
Apr 4, 2003
Tucson
Visit site
Name
David Tang
Boat
Intrepid
That is definitely focusing more on my original question. But I guess I am still missing something here. What would happen if you tried jigging or tossing a bomb with the lighter drag setup? Difficulty setting the hook or maintaining a tight line?
IMO you could have difficulty in setting the hook with a jig using a SX not saying it can't be done just that it is more challenging .....bait with a circle hook not as much a issue setting the hook.....when using light gear like that in big fish country just be aware of your surrounding.......if there are big tuna hanging please please don't throw out your 27# stealth bait outfit in the water.... it could result in a very unhappy ending.

fishdoggary

I do what I want Bitch!
Aug 23, 2007
Huntington Beach, CA
Name
Gary
Boat
Intrepid
IMO you could have difficulty in setting the hook with a jig using a SX not saying it can't be done just that it is more challenging .....bait with a circle hook not as much a issue setting the hook.....when using light gear like that in big fish country just be aware of your surrounding.......if there are big tuna hanging please please don't throw out your 27# stealth bait outfit in the water.... it could result in a very unhappy ending.
You forgot BZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZ "TINK" :rofl:

Cop Out

Oct 27, 2010
Islip, New York
Name
James
I took my SX on a 16 day trip. I filled it with 40# hollow and bumped about 100' of 40# blue diamond line in. I took Wahoo to 45 and yellows in the 50# class. I did all with a Shimano Trivalla 20-50 Rod.