Wahoo Lures - What's the Over/Under

Discussion in 'San Diego Long Range fishing Reports' started by bhatch, Oct 1, 2013.

1. bhatch

bhatch Newbie

Name:
    bill Hatch
    Boat:
    egg harbor 33
    Last year on an October 10 day didn't really get into the wahoo but hoping for different results this year. I'm heading out Oct 19 on a 10 day on Excel and trying to get a sense of what opinions are as to how many bombs and Raiders to bring (ie 6 bombs and 6 Raiders?). Looking more for an answer towards what's a safe number so as not to run out but without overstuffing the tackle bag. Also, most of what I already have are not wired. Thoughts and comments are appreciated!

2. stemac

stemac Newbie

Name:
    Steve McAvoy
    Boat:
    Bullet
    I caught 10 on bombs in one day with no wire and came away with two mangled ones. The eight others were inhaled and gone. If they are still biting the bomb when you go and you don't wire them, I would have at least a dozen or more.

3. OIF VET

OIF VET Well-Known "Member"

Name:
    Brian
    Boat:
    nope
    For the raiders if you straight tie mono I would bring 12 at a minimum. I like jigs so I don't really know about bombs. It doesn't take up really any room to bring a couple of more jigs. Also everyone is always talking about raider jigs but salas also makes some good wahoo jigs. Also check out JRI jigs they sell them I believe at anglers choice.

4. Halfprice

Halfprice Member

Name:
    Jerry
    Boat:
    Red Rooster 111
    Tie them using 100 floro

5. alan760

alan760 Well-Known "Member"

Name:
    Alan
    Boat:
    American Angler
    I think 12 wahoo jigs and bombs is sufficient. For something a little different might want to add in a few salas hoo painted jigs or catchy 33 along with half a dozen wire leaders for fishing bait. Also look at the Ballyhood Cowbell for trolling. It gets bit when the marauders won't.

6. mattyd102477

mattyd102477 Member

Name:
    Matt
    Boat:
    None
    Same trip and I had the same question....so thanks, bhatch! I have (6) jigs and (6) bombs, so looks like that's about right. Looking forward to meeting you.

7. elreytut

elreytut elreytut

Name:
    bob
    Boat:
    TARPON 120. NEW RIDE
  8. Longshot_Scott

Longshot_Scott Newbie

Name:
    Scott
    Boat:
    Intrepid
    Hint: Poncherello...

Hope I'm not prematurely letting the cat out of the bag here! :D

-LongShot_Scott

9. Steve K

Steve K Hey, I'm gettin' bit...

Name:
    Steve
    Boat:
    18' Bayrunner, but I like the American Angler and the Red Rooster III
    You should call the office and ask one of the guys. See what they suggest and ask what they have on the boat in the way of jigs and bombs. Tackle purchases have a way of getting out of control in a hurry. Good luck on your trip.

10. ReelDealAngler

ReelDealAngler Born To Fish

Name:
    Garry
    Boat:
    Reel Estate
    X2... just have to remember that conditions can change overnight... so factors like water temp, water clarity, current, available forage fish will all play into the bite once you are actually fishing and Wahoo tend to get spooked if run over by too many boats in a short time span... the premier LR boats usually stock all the right terminal and sometimes the trip sponsors take extra terminal as well.

IMO Wahoo bombs are the best lure to start with as they generally have the highest hook up to strike ratio when fished properly and they are the least likely to get cut off by those razor sharp teeth Wahoo have when rigged the traditional way with 90lb wire and a sharp single hook (slightly kirbed 8 to 10 degrees for better hook ups is my suggestion). When the Hoo shy away from the bombs its time to fish the Wahoo jigs or live bait... start with a wired Salas 6X Jr. in a Wahoo color and rigged with a single hook (these jigs get bit well and cost less than half the price of a Raider jig). And one Wahoo jig that doesn't get mentioned that often on this forum that has killed a lot of Wahoo and was used fairly often by "Mr. Wahoo" himself LR angler Carl Newell is the Hopkins 600 NO = EQL jig rigged with a single hook: they cast like bullets, are made of polished hard stainless steel so they slide through the sharp teeth of a Wahoo for better hook sets, they have zero action on the fast crank so they are easier to crank fast for longer periods, plus you will most likely be one of the few anglers throwing that proven jig... and sometimes when fishing for game fish that naturally hone in on the site/movement of their prey its a good thing to be different and use a different bait presentation. When Wahoo are on and feeding in a frenzied state they will eat pretty much anything... I caught one once using a wired up 4 oz in-line chrome sinker with just a single siwash hook rigged on the rear.

Have a great trip... wish I was going with you as Hoo fishing is a lot of FUN (fast and furious) when they are on and they make pretty tasty table fare as well!

11. King Halibut

King Halibut BigBoy

Name:
    Dave
    Boat:
    none
    Bill/Matt -

I'm on the same trip, I'm taking a half dozen bombs and probably a dozen Raiders or equal.
    Looking forward to meeting you both.

KH

12. Outhouse

Outhouse I've posted enough I should edit this section

Name:
    Jon Scobey
    Boat:
    Titanic
    Just walk down the deck at night with some cutters. You'll never run out! Lol

13. AlBCore

AlBCore Newbie

Name:
    Phil
    Boat:
    Refill
    Not at all funny.

14. pmurphy

pmurphy Member

Name:
    Pat
    Boat:
    Hobie kayak
    Somewhat funny. Downright hilarious by CPA standards.

--Pat, CPA/CIA/MBA

15. Steve K

Steve K Hey, I'm gettin' bit...

Name:
    Steve
    Boat:
    18' Bayrunner, but I like the American Angler and the Red Rooster III
    Actually, coming from Jon, it's hilarious! ;)

16. elreytut

elreytut elreytut

Name:
    bob
    Boat:
    TARPON 120. NEW RIDE
    these work also.

Attached Files:

17. jober37

jober37 Newbie

Name:
    Joel B.
    Boat:
    reality: 12' porta bote named "SS EL HEFE"
    The Hopkins was made for fishing on the drop. Cast it far as you can, let it sink until your line reaches a 45degree angle and start cranking!!

YOU KNOW WHEN YOUR BIT!!!! Also, the 450 NO=equl is probably better than the 600. you won't get tired as fast.

Joel

18. jober37

jober37 Newbie

Name:
    Joel B.
    Boat:
    reality: 12' porta bote named "SS EL HEFE"
    Salas 7X light in purple people eater ( purple sardine with black side stripes).

A BAG FULL would do with no wire tied and leave the treble hook on!!

Joel

19. ReelDealAngler

ReelDealAngler Born To Fish

Name:
    Garry
    Boat:
    Reel Estate
    Hopkins NO=EQL jigs were originally designed and intended for vertical jigging, but in the Wahoo application vertical jigging is not often used as the Wahoo are generally feeding more towards the surface in the upper section of the water column. In the late 70's thru the 80's our rep group represented Bead Chain for the western U.S. (manufacture of the Hopkins lures), we also represented Newell at the time so basically we were some of the first LR anglers to use the Hopkins jigs for Wahoo as Carl Newell along with Don Sansome (owner/operator of the Q-105) were the pioneers at targeting Wahoo on LR trips, they were also the originators of what we now call the "Wahoo bomb"'.

I have this theory that if you let your Wahoo jig just sink in free spool mode after the long cast with the heavier weight jigs that you are more at risk of being cut off without ever having a chance at hooking that Wahoo... I like to make as long as cast as possible (mainly to cover more water as a long cast is not always necessary) then if I'm letting my jig sink out to a certain predetermined angle I still put my reel in gear and slow crank keeping my line tighter and in essence keeping my jig more horizontal on the sink rather than vertical with my line more horizontal on the jig end... this allows me to set the hook better if a Wahoo grabs my jig on the sink out prior to the angle I would have started to wind at fast speed (so basically my jig hook is more horizontal for a better hook set and my reel is in gear rather than in free spool for a quicker hook set accomplished by cranking hard and fast, and then once I feel the hook grab solid I swing my rod upward for a traditional jig hook set driving that big J hook further into the hard jaw of the Hoo (this may be contradictory to the wind wind wind hook set but trust me it works!). I personally like the 600 NO=EQL over the 450 as it is heavier (6oz) and it will cast further with the same casting effort, it is also slightly longer in length which IMO tends to help in having less cut offs when not using a wire leader, and as stated previously, the Hopkins jigs don't swim and the resistance on the fast grind is less than most every other common Wahoo jig/bomb available.

My dos centavos... your actual mileage may vary.

20. backlashjack

backlashjack Scallywag

Name:
    Jackson
    Boat:
    Sold the boat, now I just rent a stateroom on the EXCEL
    Why? They'll snip through 100 like it was 2lb trout line. 400# mono will produce same snip effect. Either wire or no wire, no mono is Wahoo proof