Yellowtail Dan

I Post A Lot But I Can't Edit This
  • Apr 10, 2006
    Roseville Ca
    Name
    Dan
    Boat
    Excel, American Angler
    When I used it in the Gulf we used dead bait and only 2 hooks. It made for an interesting flutter when you let it just sink out. The fish liked it

me.png

Upvote 0

Texas Tuna

Pinfish pimp
    May 18, 2020
    Rockport Texas
    Name
    Oliver
    Boat
    25' SaberCat
    The rig also works great if you are skipping a dead sardine or mackerel like a lure. Cast it out, rod tip up, and reel. Much cheaper than loosing lure too.

Upvote 0

JamesZ

Jun 25, 2018
    Montana
    Name
    James Zachary
    Boat
    Kenner 23
    Have you ever used this technique on the west coast on LR trips?
    It for sure doesn't work on the west coast. Gotta remember. a 30lb hoo in the gulf is a monster. They do get some close to adult sized fish. It's rare though. And on the west coast we're not fishing that dirty 30-150 foot of water like in the gulf. Our wahoo are WAY too line/hook shy for that triple mackerel rig. They generally fish that rig on 20lb and a DEAD cigar minnow. Different things work in different areas. Like when I'm at my place in PR. Hell, I've caught more 50-70lb wahoo and 40-60lb kings on a damned bucktail or flat fall than I do actually targeting them high speed trolling and slow trolling live bait for king mackerel. it's strange. Say on the west coast a hoo bomb is the go to or a nice chunk of iron. They don't even know what those are in the gulf. And as of yet. I've not got a wahoo to eat iron or a bomb in pr. Different places, same fish. But act differently. Anyone remember the hoo fishing on the LR trips back in the day? I miss the islands. You don't see trips coming back with a few hundred hoo. Now they get excited if they get one per passenger. 😔

Upvote 0

Texas Tuna

Pinfish pimp
    May 18, 2020
    Rockport Texas
    Name
    Oliver
    Boat
    25' SaberCat
    Most of my wahoo fishing is actually concentrated around the spar in my profile picture. Around 3,500 feet deep and a hyperbolic blue actually. You obviously know literally nothing about gulf wahoo if you think a 30lber is big. We generally fish that rig on 60 or 80 and a LIVE hardtail or Spanish dine. A lot of people think iron does not work in the gulf either. But somehow, most of my cobia and jacks come on a JRI 4 and reef donkeys and blackfin on a JRI 66. You should stick to nymphing for trout in Montana. You sound about as smart as one of those fly fags.

Upvote 0

Yellowtail Dan

• Apr 10, 2006
    Roseville Ca
    Name
    Dan
    Boat
    Excel, American Angler
    Most of my wahoo fishing is actually concentrated around the spar in my profile picture. Around 3,500 feet deep and a hyperbolic blue actually. You obviously know literally nothing about gulf wahoo if you think a 30lber is big. We generally fish that rig on 60 or 80 and a LIVE hardtail or Spanish dine. A lot of people think iron does not work in the gulf either. But somehow, most of my cobia and jacks come on a JRI 4 and reef donkeys and blackfin on a JRI 66. You should stick to nymphing for trout in Montana. You sound about as smart as one of those fly fags.

Cobia is good eats!!! Had a lot of fun fishing the gulf. My one regret is not getting in on the Redfish

Upvote 0

hagridfish

I Should Upgrade My Account
    Oct 21, 2008
    Aurora Colorado
    Name
    Kevin
    Boat
    None
    Gotta go with “Statistico” on this one!!! The hard boney mouth of the wahoo is really tough to penetrate! The trokar hooks have the”scalpel point” on them. Helps penetrate that hard boney mouth a whole lot better!

Reactions: Rodless_Jim
    Upvote 0

Rodless_Jim

Apr 3, 2008
    Mexico, DF, Mexico
    Name
    Jim
    Boat
    Strictly a Rider
    For fishing live bait, 40# pink floro straight tied to a ringed circle hook seems to get bit best IMHO.

I'm pretty sure in this case Lou is asking about whether or not people use ringed hooks for wahoo bait leaders. My take is that I don't think it matters, or if it does, the difference is trivial. Even so, if given a choice I use un-ringed hooks. The way I crimp the leader, there is already a loop going through the hook eye.

Reactions: Hustler
    Upvote 0

TanstaaflSD

• Dec 3, 2013
    San Diego, CA, USA
    Name
    Tanstaafl
    Boat
    n/a
    I use J hooks for wahoo bait fishing.

I really like the Mustad 92677 because they’re offset. The offset increases the chance of snagging a wahoo which happens because of the way wahoo attack their prey. The 92677s are strong and inexpensive; no need for fancy designer hooks for wahoo bait fishing.

Sizes are #4, 2, 1/0, and 3/0. I’ve caught plenty of wahoo on #4 92677 and 27# single strand wire; especially while on the anchor.

Only my opinions and I hope that this helps.
    Thanks for the info.
    Did you mean a No. 4 sized hook? ..... seems pretty small. I usually used 2/0 sized hooks. Happy to get good opinion from a 'hoo chaser AND CATCHER. Thanks,

Upvote 0

Steve K

Hey, I'm gettin' bit...
    Jan 2, 2005
    Bishop
    Name
    Steve
    Boat
    18' Bayrunner, but I like the American Angler and the Red Rooster III
    “Did you mean a No. 4 sized hook? ..... seems pretty small. I usually used 2/0 sized hooks.”

Yes a #4 hook. With very small bait, I’ll use a #4 hook and 27# single strand wire.
    Tim, how does that work out if you happen to get bit by a big one, like on the Ridge or the Rocks? Just light drag and let them tire out?

Tim Turis

Sep 16, 2004
    Atlanta GA
    Name
    Tim Turis
    Boat
    n/a
    “Tim, how does that work out if you happen to get bit by a big one, like on the Ridge or the Rocks? Just light drag and let them tire out?”

It’s not my first choice of how to fish wahoo, but sometimes the bait is small/weak or the fish are reluctant to bite and that’s what it takes to get bit.
    I’ve caught wahoo close to 50# using 25# and 27/32# single strand wire. And yes you do lose fish to bite throughs and breaks offs, but you do get bit. Light drag for the initial run and then increase from there.
    Wahoo are usually only good for a few good runs and then they’re done and you grind them in.

Upvote 0

Steve K

Hey, I'm gettin' bit...
    Jan 2, 2005
    Bishop
    Name
    Steve
    Boat
    Tim, thanks. I’ve seen some nicer Wahoo put up quite a tussle. Like downshift the two-speed reel kind of tough guy, put it on the rail. On the advice of a deckhand. But, ya gotta get bit first, right?

Upvote 0

Intrepid Fan

No Cal Lou
    Oct 1, 2009
    Green Valley, Az
    Name
    Lou Salatich
    Boat
    none
    I made some 25# bait leader with Knot 2 Kinky titanium line. Did some testing on them and they all broke at about 6 to 7 lbs in the middle of the leader. I am still waiting for my 30# and 40# to be delivered and am curious what the breaking point is for those will be. Not going to make any with 25lb.

Upvote 0

Steve K

Hey, I'm gettin' bit...
    Jan 2, 2005
    Bishop
    Name
    Steve
    Boat
    I made some 25# bait leader with Knot 2 Kinky titanium line. Did some testing on them and they all broke at about 6 to 7 lbs in the middle of the leader. I am still waiting for my 30# and 40# to be delivered and am curious what the breaking point is for those will be. Not going to make any with 25lb.
    What a disappointment

Upvote 0

Rodless_Jim

Apr 3, 2008
    Mexico, DF, Mexico
    Name
    Jim
    Boat
    Strictly a Rider

I find that astonishing. I don't disbelieve you, Lou, but it makes zero sense to me. Granted it's not exactly the same, but I once used 35 Knot-2-kinky to catch a tuna that went +/-100lbs, and I had the drag buttoned down to a little more than 20lbs. Long ass fight too...hour and a half. If 35lb will stand up to a long fight at over 20lbs, how is it that 25lb will break at 6lbs?

This is just supposition of course, but is it possible that you have a bad batch? Or something?

Upvote 0

Intrepid Fan

No Cal Lou
    Oct 1, 2009
    Green Valley, Az
    Name
    Lou Salatich
    Boat
    none
    I do have another order coming in. I will test that one also. I have some AFW 20lb and 30lb AFW titanium that I am going to make a couple of leaders with tomorrow and test them. Now I am also going to test the single strand SS leaders that I have made up. I am also going to pull on them with suitcase digital scale to see if that makes any difference

Last edited:
    Upvote 0