Wahoo crimps - these really hold tightly!

Discussion in 'San Diego Long Range fishing Reports' started by mmayo, Aug 24, 2015.

1. mmayo

mmayo Barking Spider

Name:
    Mark
    Boat:
    Vagabond & Royal Star
    Dwayne is right, as always, about hook size and the need to use sharp 4/0-5/0 hooks. At the start of the trip I had many designer hooks in 2/0-3/0 and suffered numerous hook pulls, not cut offs. Some were after great fights right at gaff and that really hurts. I will invest in 4/0 Owner flyliner hooks after watching Dwayne's success with them. I haven't seen 5/0 flyliners listed anywhere so far. Do they sell or make those?

Longer leaders were the ticket in the 18" and 24" length. I had many fish lost when the leader was inhaled past the leader and the bit off. If I tried a 12" length bite offs were always the result. I thought it was timing and I was not acting fast enough, but it was probably that I had a too short wire length.

I agree that if an angler wants to be more successful at catching wahoo, jump on the Vagabond and listen to Mike Lackey's advice. On a very tough wahoo fight, after running around the boat my line became caught under the boat. I thought I was cooked, but Mike had other ideas. Yes, the V gaff was used, but that did not work. I looked over and Mike was hanging by his feet trying to get me free, yes the skipper! Soon after that two more deckhands were hanging by their feet - quite a sight. I felt bad to be a bother, but they were on a mission to help me. They tried everything they could and were all reaching far under the boat with the long gaffs to get my wahoo. They did! My tip was instantly raised and my opinion raised though it was already very high.

Last edited: Oct 31, 2015
  2. screamingreel

screamingreel Long Range Fanatic

Name:
    Jeff Burroughs
    Boat:
    Long Range and Private
    Mark, I use 3' leaders of 200 lbs. fluorocarbon or 2' of wire with 4/0 hooks for the exact reasons you describe (Have not used wire in over 3 years). Great to hear the crew was able to untangle your Wahoo under the boat. Mike and team are awesome! Hope you had a great trip!!

- Jeff Burroughs

3. Pangamaster

Pangamaster Cow Town Here I come!

Name:
    Dave
    Boat:
    SD Long Range or Bay Area Day Boats.
    Any suggestions on a source for the solid rings? To perhaps buy them in bulk? I know owner makes them and they are quite pricey....any other options out there?

Also when rigging wahoo bombs you put the large Solid ring on the hook and then crimp that to the 90# wire...anyone know what size ring that is?

4. Fishybuzz

Fishybuzz fishybuzz

Name:
    David Tang
    Boat:
    Intrepid

On Bombs I put the solid ring on the end and tie my leader to it….. I crimp my hook

5. mmayo

mmayo Barking Spider

Name:
    Mark
    Boat:
    Vagabond & Royal Star
    I make my own solid rings using Rosco size 3 or 4s butt rings to start. With 27 pound wire I have used size 2 rings also. Rosco likes to sell you thousands, but will sell 1,000 with a small service charge. You have to find them on the net or better yet call them to get current prices. I bought in bulk for the barking spiders several years ago and have used them as often as desired. Great company! I silver solder them closed after aligning them with two pliers. Ace has silver solder in a coil and flux then you need a micro-torch. I remove the flux with an ultrasonic bath ( very important to get it off somehow ) and spray paint them matte black. Yes, it is nuts to make them, but I rings all of my hooks too for about $0.02 each. I heard on the 10 day that the boat was out of rings due to extreme demand for them and donated 30 of my unpainted ones.

If desired, I will post a how to on making your own rings or ringing hooks. Let me know please if anyone is interested.

For bombs I use the same smaller rings. Why use a big one? I have never opened a ring or even deformed it during any fishing trip or using even high drag pressures in my shop.

gved823 and sierraazuel like this.
  6. bigreddog

bigreddog Member

Name:
    Cliff
    Boat:
    Long Range

Last edited: Aug 6, 2019
  7. floydlpackard

floydlpackard Member

Name:
    Floyd
    Boat:
    none
    Jeff, in the past three years what do you think your bite off rate on the 200 lb fluoro was compared to the 2' of wire. Do you think you got bit better on the big fluoro than the wire? Which 4/0 hook did you use?
    Thanks

8. screamingreel

screamingreel Long Range Fanatic

Name:
    Jeff Burroughs
    Boat:
    Long Range and Private
    Hello Floyd,

I have never been bit off using 3' of fluorocarbon (knock on wood). Only bit-off once on 2' of wire. I strongly prefer doubled-up 60 lbs. seaguar blue fluoro over wire for bait. I make sure one leg is longer than the other so it is loose and therefore more difficult to bite-off.

I like ringed Mustad R94140BLN 3/0 or 4/0 J hooks for bait (shoulder or pec fin hooked). Fish with a very light drag and you should do well. Be ready to move quickly or hand it off to a crew member when the wahoo takes off!

I use 200 lbs. fluoro for jigs/bombs with black crimps & sleeves. Swivel on connection side. Sharpen hooks. Offset the hook point 10 degrees down and to the side. If using a siwash hook, make sure the point length is not greater than 3/8" before the barb begins. Grind it down if needed and resharpen. Use a very tight drag with jigs/bombs.

Yes, I get bit better on fluorocarbon than wire.

Good luck and have fun!

- Jeff Burroughs

Last edited: Nov 8, 2015
    egarratt and etwizard like this.
  9. Pangamaster

Name:
    Dave
    Boat:
    I was using a single #3 AFL crimp and 90# 7 strand for my wahoo bombs....I decided to go out and test my work....a bunch failed at less than 20#'s....panic! I redid a couple with two crimps on each side and was able to get it break at the 80# line instead.....still it didn't seem consistent so I bought the .6 and .8 double barrel crimps mentioned....I'll test those out with my Jinkai crimper when they arrive....Hopefully I don't need to buy another crimper as well! Thanks Mayo!

10. mmayo

mmayo Barking Spider

Name:
    Mark
    Boat:
    Vagabond & Royal Star
    My hope in this thread is to start some folks like you thinking about their rigs, not to brag. By testing what we use and modifying to yield stronger connections, we may beat that big wahoo. The gaff is our friend and failed (crimps, twists or perfection knots) work in favor of the wahoo.

Best luck with the 0.6 crimps, you might need a small NicoPress like the 17ba. I had some luck today with a 0.33 single crimp from Malin to single crimp 40# wire.

Last edited: Nov 8, 2015
    etwizard likes this.
  11. etwizard

etwizard Member

Name:
    solomon
    Boat:
    Free 4 All
    There seems to be a whole lot of chatter about crimps and crimpers and what to do and when to do it. I get most of it, but there are rigging charts with specific wire or crimp diameters and what are the tolerances that go with what. Somehow it hasn't traveled into the everyday vernacular of our fishing world. Years ago I got a lecture about crimping mono or flouro and that I had to make sure that I burned the end so that I had a ball on the end after the crimp. Really? People are still swearing about it today like it is one of the Ten Commandments! If you need to do that, you are not crimping right. Match the crimp to the diameter of your attachment material and then......make sure you have the right tool to crimp it with. One tool does not fit all. Nicopress is my go to company at work and they make great precision tools. So what if you pay 60/80 bucks for a small hand crimper? You spend more money on bombs, jigs, lures and parking in the lot. It's a great tool/s to crimp our stuff at sea.

At the end of this little rant, I do like crimping flouro. I hate the wire slivers that guys leave in the table matts in the galley. I hate the wire ends in my fingers working with that stuff. I think the double line, unevenly tied is brilliant. I think the #130-150 flouro as a short leader is fantastic. I had one down to 8" and it got bit and I landed the hoo. We can change this culture of mystical wahoo. We tie great knots now, let's do the right crimpers. Phew...

Tim Turis and JohnTFT like this.
  12. Pangamaster

Name:
    Dave
    Boat:

Hey Mark,
    I ended up buying these crimps. I have the Jinkai crimper and the smallest hole is still too large for these tiny .6 mm crimps on the 90# Sevenstrand. What crimper are you using for this application?

13. mmayo

mmayo Barking Spider

Name:
    Mark
    Boat:
    Vagabond & Royal Star
    I use the Nicopress 17BA. Be sure before you buy it that it looks like the one shown above in this post. It must have a tiny hole at the end to work. With that plier and that hole you do not completely need to force to the max crush, gently squeeze and it will be correct crimped.

Best of luck!

stephen campbell and Pangamaster like this.
  14. speyman

speyman Iron Chucker

Name:
    jack-e
    Boat:
    Intrepid, Ms Magoo
    Details

On a recent trip to the pounded wahoo grounds......

We caught LOTS of Skins on trollers with 400# wire
    We caught 2 bait fish on 40 Not Too Kinky wire
    We hooked 3 fish on iron, 2 on 90# titanium and one on 175# fluoro

After looking at the tooth imprints on my jigs.....
    When using smaller stuff like bullet bombs or 6xjr i will use wire as the teeth are too close
    With the full size Raiders they don't seem to get near the fluoro

My buddy had 3 bite offs while his jigs were sinking

15. lowprofile

lowprofile Well-Known "Member"

Name:
    chris
    Boat:
    Sold it
    I like his stuff. Soaking one of his 20/0 circles right now actually. But I won't crimp light cable again after learning how to tie it. Figure 8 knot and barrel wrap the tag end. When fished within its means it never pulls. Actually never seen it pull.

16. Bill W

Bill W tunaholic

Name:
    Bill Walsh
    Boat:
    Red Rooster
    I usually loose one bomb or jig per trip and always on the sink. Acceptable loss verses straight tied jig. (130# flouro)

vegasandre likes this.
  17. Bill W

Bill W tunaholic

Name:
    Bill Walsh
    Boat:
    Red Rooster
  18. Pangamaster

Name:
    Dave
    Boat:
    Thanks Mark...just purchased the Nicopress 17ba....as others mentioned you get a discount if you call them directly and order it the old fashion way.

Fishybuzz likes this.
  19. speyman

speyman Iron Chucker

Name:
    jack-e
    Boat:
    Intrepid, Ms Magoo
    on my recent voyage i had zero failures on crimps made with the nicopress crimpers. I followed the advice here and did not crush the crimps. I put some serious pressure on those fish. At one point one made a run that slammed me into the rail. Awesome power

mmayo and Fishybuzz like this.
  20. Squid Sammich

Squid Sammich Well-Known "Member"

Name:
    Matt
    Boat:
    To be determined
    I used the nicopress crimper and one short sleeve on each end of a knot 2 kinky leader I think 42 lb and caught one 35# wahoo and three 20 lb dodo's on the same leader. The wahoo really forced me to get on it heavy as there were seals mauling people's fish so I thumbed the spool and drug him in as quickly as possible. Even with a single sleeve on each end it held up great.

mmayo and dh515 like this.