Texlee

I've posted enough I should edit this section
Jun 3, 2012
Vernon, Texas, USA
Name
Alben Lee
Boat
Excel
I'm going to make my up some bombs and jigs for a Sept - Oct 10 dayer on the Excel this year. What type of hooks are the best / least expensive to use. Thanks

SemperFishing

Apr 26, 2007
Austin, TX
Name
Dave
Boat
Prefer Long Range or skiffs (great if combined!)
THe longer shanked Mustads are standard on the wahoo jigs being sold. I think its a 7/0 sized hook.

afraser

Apr 20, 2008
sf, ca
Name
aaron
Boat
NA
I say the least expensive hook is the one that catches you the most fish per hookup. We spend a lot of money on the trip, the rods and reels and then lose a bunch of wahoo to cutoffs and farming. I personally will be using 2 hook 90 degree offset hooks on all of my bombs and I will try out a similar setup on jigs. I tried the double hook setup with bombs on a trip last year and think I got 3 out of 4 on wahoo bites and 3 or 4 was about the high count on wahoo for the boat. The one I missed was when I stopped the lure at the boat to prevent the wahoo from jumping out of the water, and of course that was right when a wahoo bit. No tension then, so no hookup. I used 130# fluoro leaders without any cutoffs with a couple of nicks.

Bill W

tunaholic
Jan 12, 2006
Chino Hills, Ca.
Name
Bill Walsh
Boat
Red Rooster
How long are your floro leaders?
For me, I like the leader short enough that I can swing the jig in a cast without the knot in the tip. That is just above the reel on my outfits... I attach with a 3 turn surgeons knot.

P.S. If making my own, I like Owner Jobu. If I was shopping for something new the Trokar line of hooks are nice.

afraser

Apr 20, 2008
sf, ca
Name
aaron
Boat
NA
How long are your floro leaders?
3 feet to start and fish them down to about 18 inches. That way the leader is outside of the rod on the cast (or flip or drop). I think I might try 150 or 180# fluoro if I have any cutoffs, but no more wire on bombs or jigs.

Reactions: sierraazuel

Texlee

Jun 3, 2012
Vernon, Texas, USA
Name
Alben Lee
Boat
Excel
Thanks guys for all the info. From what i have been reading, most people dont use wire at all for their leaders. They either use mono or floro. Do you guys not carry any wire with you at all?

Bill W

tunaholic
Jan 12, 2006
Chino Hills, Ca.
Name
Bill Walsh
Boat
Red Rooster
Thanks guys for all the info. From what i have been reading, most people dont use wire at all for their leaders. They either use mono or floro. Do you guys not carry any wire with you at all?
It is a new idea to use heavy fluro for casting jigs. Seems to work better. Trolling and light wire bait still old school.

Steve K

Hey, I'm gettin' bit...
Jan 2, 2005
Bishop
Name
Steve
Boat
18' Bayrunner, but I like the American Angler and the Red Rooster III
Listening to Sam Patella on LTHU, he spoke about this. Slide fishing, a wired bomb or a wired jig. My experience on the Excel was NO fishing the slide. Casting jigs, wire until they get twitchy, then straight tie. I like wired bombs, especially if the line goes through the head. Different strokes.

okie man

Oct 24, 2006
new palestine indiana
Name
kerry way
Boat
18' javalin
sorry but unless I was getting smoked by the guys using floro instead of wire my 130 floro is only going on my tuna rod!

harddrive

Wish I Was Fishing!
Sep 9, 2004
West LA
Name
Min
Boat
None
On the last West Coast Marketing charter, Rick Ozaki who sells the Raider told me the way he uses it. And this is from the guy who brings like few hundred Raider jigs on the trip. He takes about a 10 foot piece of 60lbs fluoro and ties to spectra. Then create a double line by surgeons loop or use double line to tie to the Raider. Kills them on that setup Also on the same trip, I've seen guys use 3 foot of 150 to 200 fluoro and tie. I've seen tons of teeth rake marks on the fluoro from catching wahoo. Give either a try as it gives you a setup with no stretch and abrasion resistance.

vegasandre

Aug 20, 2010
San Diego
Name
Andre
Boat
Any Boat that I can go on
Floro us the way to go. I use 150lb about 3 feet. Think wire is pretty much a thing of the past on jigs and bombs unless its wide open . You will have 2x to 3x amount of bites on floro than with wire . May lose a few lures but how often are you fishing wahoo ? Well worth it . I am going to try the doubled up lighter floro trick that Rick uses next time too