WAHOO BOMB RIGGING

fyermn

Sep 2, 2005
Utah
Name
Dan
Boat
LONG RANGE fishing
I am about to rig up some JRI Wahoo Bombs for my 11 day trip in November. My question is: Do I add a solid ring at the end of the leader or a swivel to tie on my main line? What are the Pro's and Con's of each?

Reactions: Tunahead
Upvote 0

Montaukmaniac

Thats my son, not me.
Feb 8, 2011
Westchester NY
Name
Steve
Boat
miss ion/fish on, "Wish on"
Fluro leader single 130 or doubled 60 / 80, to a San Diego jam on the smallest swivel for the LBS you want. (Some like to add 75 LBS TA Clip to the other end of the swivel, for the quick change option on your JRI Hooasides!)

Very tight lines!

Upvote 0

themacs

I Should Upgrade My Account
  • Jul 18, 2003
    San Clemente CA
    Name
    scott
    Boat
    none
    I use 130 fluro tied with a 3 turn uni. Then about 2-3 feet of fluro to a small black ring using a mono crimp. very strong and the only hardware to attract the wahoo to the WRONG place :) is a tiny black ring and small crimp. Just what I do and seems to always work. I also usually use green with gold or silver Jimmy Bombs or gold raiders.

Upvote 0

Tuna-Sniper

Tuna Sniper
    Oct 26, 2015
    Inland Empire
    Name
    tom
    Boat
    2018 Parker 2320 SL
    I am about to rig up some JRI Wahoo Bombs for my 11 day trip in November. My question is: Do I add a solid ring at the end of the leader or a swivel to tie on my main line? What are the Pro's and Con's of each?
    where did you buy the JIR bombs ? I like to get couple for my trip.

Reactions: locvetter
    Upvote 0

ZZZZZ

I Post A Lot But I Can't Edit This
    Dec 11, 2003
    Costa Rica
    Name
    Brad Baron
    Boat
    Royal Polaris
    A short length bomb. Has a higher chance of the wahoo instinctively eating the bait in one bite, getting the hook. And not instinctively choosing to cut the bait in half then U turn and eat the other half. Direct hit short length imo

Reactions: Montaukmaniac
    Upvote 0

ZZZZZ

Dec 11, 2003
    Costa Rica
    Name
    Brad Baron
    Boat
    Royal Polaris
    This. The 6 inch berkeley gulp grub or the 4 inch. On the wahoo hook bomb as a trailer. I'm pretty certain. Wahoo would key in better, turn less at the last moment and eat the jig, tastes good so the fish will hold onto the jig longer, good action with the tail twirling. It's going work

Yesterday. Fishing a pinnacle along the bottom while inbetween popper fishing in the shallows and a volcanic ridge. I wound up to make a cast because there was no current or wind and my jig was straight up and down

My buddy saw some free swimmers. He pointed in the direction. Made the cast. This bull absolutely inhaled this 3 ounce bucktail on the surface grind. With a berkley gulp grub. Probably would had eaten the bucktail without the grub because dorado are easy to hook. But, I doubt the bucktail would had needed to be surgically removed from its throat later at the cleaning station

Gulp grub trailer. Put one on a bomb

IMG_20211124_230807.jpg

berkley-berkley-gulp-grub_edit_265208737614219.jpg

BS without pics
    IMG_20211124_162801.jpg

Last edited:
    Upvote 0

fyermn

Sep 2, 2005
    Utah
    Name
    Dan
    Boat
    LONG RANGE fishing
    Just for information; I was on the Indy 11 day trip (Nov 1-12) and caught one Wahoo on the bomb. It was 130# flouro, crimped at both ends (single crimp with a burn nub). No problems at all, and the flouro did NOT have any abrasion anywhere.

Reactions: esgeo
    Upvote 0

ZZZZZ

Dec 11, 2003
    Costa Rica
    Name
    Brad Baron
    Boat
    Royal Polaris
    Gulp grub trailer! Will be more effective imo then a spinner blade and easier to grind. Maybe they can make a shiny chrome color or super sparkly grub with flash.

A very very good color as soon as the boat crosses the border. Is red and white, period.

I have tested this theory. It's red and white across the border for a plug type bait floating or diving. I might not even throw a popper again that is not red and white LOL Wish all my poppers were red and white :D All of them

Anyways must be the same color reaction with a bomb.

Where is the red and white bomb?

Red head and white body. Or white head with red body. I think red head with white body would be the best.

I witnessed a williamson speed pro in red and white. Absolutely out fish all other troll lures and colors at Alijos. Stood out

Where is the red and white marauder? Those must excist

Upvote 0

ZZZZZ

Dec 11, 2003
    Costa Rica
    Name
    Brad Baron
    Boat
    Royal Polaris
    Tar baby color bomb? For wahoo kelping with dorado and small YFT mixed in. No flash color. Or just fished when a (tar baby) would be productive. Are most tar baby's 6xJRs

There are 105 shades of black

Upvote 0

bullyo

Aug 5, 2005
    San Marcos
    Name
    Anthony
    Boat
    None
    Which is better, double 60# flouro (spider hitch) or single 130#?
    I like the double. I use a Trinidad 30a to 50lb test. No need for fluoro with the double IMO.

To be completely honest, I usually just straight tie and concede to losing a few, but getting bit a few more times as well.

Reactions: Fincutter
    Upvote 0