PENN

mikeyfromsd

Mar 15, 2011
San Diego,CA
Name
Michael
Boat
Currently selling
Went out to 9 mile this morning to try for my first wahoo. Started trolling at nine mile coordinates for high spot, headed due south toward coronado islands. Right before the border, headed west. Saw some terns diving in the area. Kept going for a couple more minutes and trolling rod started zooming. Worked the fish for 15 minutes and got him next to the boat. Thought he was done, but he had different plans. He took off on a run and managed to get hung up on the outboard before I could dip the rod tip to clear it and he broke off. Hooked my first wahoo but didn't boat him. Maybe next time.

Lure was a Mirrolure 111MR-24MAC trolled at 6 knots.

Last edited:
Upvote 0

mikeyfromsd

Mar 15, 2011
San Diego,CA
Name
Michael
Boat
Currently selling
Around 9:30AM. Water I hooked up in was around 74.5, but when we continued trolling we saw temps up to 76.5 on the northern end of nine mile. Swell was pretty small too.

Upvote 0

PoolMan

7 'dines short of a full scoop
Nov 7, 2005
La Costa
Name
Chuck G
Boat
8' sabot #69
When you hook a wahoo and he is getting close to the boat it is vital to get the boat moving forward at about 3 knots so you can "swim" the tired wahoo to the gaff. They are too squirrely to "dead-boat" and will make darting runs in any direction at the end. Sorry for your loss. Same is true for most "large" gamefish.

Upvote 0

mikeyfromsd

Mar 15, 2011
San Diego,CA
Name
Michael
Boat
Currently selling
Thanks for that bit of information PoolMan. I'll definitely have to remember that the next time I lock into something that big and fast.

Upvote 0

Tunahead

Long Time Tuna Abused Member
Aug 11, 2006
Costa Mesa
Name
Ron
Boat
several
Bummer...great report. The late Yogi Berra was right...."It's never over, til it's over".....especially with wahoo...LOL

Next time...this deal is far from over! Go get one!

Upvote 0

c-goat

HELL BENT FOR FEATHER
May 4, 2004
santee ca.
Name
Bill
Boat
08 DEFIANCE 220 ex Sheri-Moon
I lost a halco 4 weeks ago and Im still bummed.I want a wahoo just as bad the next guy.

Upvote 0