Waders

EfrainS.

Mar 8, 2019
Your mom
Name
Efrain
Boat
Your mom
SoCal surf fisherman looking for a pair of winter waders but am not sure to go with wading pants or chest waders. Rarely have I gone in past my mid thighs but know the water can splash up if there is any swell. I have always just worn boards hurts, UV long sleeve, and columbia water shoes. What do y'all wear or suggest? I want to stay warmer this year. Thanks

Upvote 0

CI_SeaWolf

Almost A Member
  • Feb 13, 2006
    Camarillo, CA
    Name
    Tom Farrell
    Boat
    Wellcraft 22' W/A
    Hi, I have been using some inexpensive cabelas breathable waders for a few years now…. Always a chance that a bigger wave can splash you or knock you down so a wading belt is a must…. I like my chest waders because I can clip my keys to one of the suspenders and put them in the zippered pocket there too….I have stocking foot type with some old Remington wading shoes …

Reactions: woodfish330
    Upvote 0

charliecat

on a fishin' mission
    Jun 2, 2015
    Name
    charlie cat
    Boat
    14' -50' , bunch of boats
    My two bits, avoid waders... if you get swamped, you get pinned down and drown. Even in just waist deep water. It sounds ridiculous, but unfortunately happens more than you would think. Picture a quick 30 gallons of water in your bibs = 250 lbs of pressure holding you down while you're pinned on you back.
    I'd just wear a wetsuit or cut one off at waist. Cheap and easy

Upvote 0

EfrainS.

Mar 8, 2019
    Your mom
    Name
    Efrain
    Boat
    Your mom
    Hi, I have been using some inexpensive cabelas breathable waders for a few years now…. Always a chance that a bigger wave can splash you or knock you down so a wading belt is a must…. I like my chest waders because I can clip my keys to one of the suspenders and put them in the zippered pocket there too….I have stocking foot type with some old Remington wading shoes …
    Thank you, will look into them

Upvote 0

kzaam1

Nov 7, 2018
    San Diego
    Name
    Kzaam
    Boat
    Jasmine
    Chest waders will keep you much drier. I’ve been using breathable frogg togg waders for the last 2-3 months. They’ve been holding up pretty well. No leaks yet.

Upvote 0

kzaam1

Nov 7, 2018
    San Diego
    Name
    Kzaam
    Boat
    Jasmine
    Btw, if you can, try waders on before buying. They’re like any other wearable item. Some of them won’t fit you very well. I like stocking foot waders and I use croc sandals with them because they don’t fill up with a ton of sand and become water logged.

Upvote 0

Cubeye

I Post A Lot But I Can't Edit This
    Jan 26, 2007
    Los Angeles
    Name
    Kub
    Boat
    17' Gregor
    I use chest waders, and a waterproof jacket. You need to keep the belt tight to keep water from flowing into it if you get knocked over.

I've been knocked over several times. Very little water enters. It sure screws up the reel when it hits the sand!

Keep in mind that the expensive waders will eventually leak just like the cheap ones. Just keep some Aqua Seal handy just in case.

Upvote 0

Wandering Blues

I Should Upgrade My Account
    Oct 19, 2008
    The Land of Entrapment
    Name
    Curtis
    Boat
    A Pair of Simms G3 Waders
    Breathable chest waders for sure. Just use your wading belt as it’s meant to be used- tightly cinched. Little to no water will enter if properly done. Avoid waders with boots and go for neoprene stocking feet. And buy some good flats boots. I’d also second in getting a good jacket. I’m a Simms guy, from waders to boots to jackets. But in the surf, I use a whitewater style kayak spray jacket.

Inexpensive options include Frog Toggs and Hodgman. Medium options would be lower priced Simms, Redington, Dryft, and lower priced Orvis. Top of the line would be Simms and Patagonia.

Cabelas used to be okay til Bass Pro took them over. Now, you’re better off buying from Amazon cuz at least you’ll get a good deal on a piece of crap, rather than paying too much.

And, finally, take care of what you buy. Rinse the waders with fresh water after every use. If you’re getting out often, a little Salt X after a few uses.

Upvote 0

cchris

Oct 2, 2014
    Name
    Cris
    Boat
    friends :)
    Breathable, chest waders. As long as you have the belt you should be just fine . I got swept several times ( one time subsistence fishing the very dangerous Copper river- swam to the shore line, with little water on the waders, another time pulling out a girl who waded out too deep on the kenay River and got swept away by the current, grabbed her and went down river with her but managed to stay vertical And went down river until we reached a sand bar and other people jumped in to help) . Fishing In current in water under your waist, weight actually works in your favor . Comfort wise you can’t beat pants but chest waders will give you more flexibility to fish different situations ( surf, splash, etc) and will come with a place to put your phone in a dry place

Last edited:
    Reactions: woodfish330
    Upvote 0

woodfish330

I Should Upgrade My Account
  • Aug 14, 2012
    San Fransisco,CA USA
    Name
    John
    Boat
    Fishead
    Well brother..... after surf fishing for many years in S. CAL. then moving to N. CAL.... it was a learning experience for sure. ALL the above advice is pretty crucial. Been knocked down and lost my balance many times in surf holes. That BELT..... dont even think of fishing without it....PERIOD. Agree with the bootie comments... separate ones. Cutting wet suit.... interesting idea. Jacket.... up north.... for sure. Good luck....and be safe out there!

mullet

Metal Fabricator
  • Jan 10, 2006
    Brookings Oregon
    Name
    mike
    Boat
    19"Gregor
    My two bits, avoid waders... if you get swamped, you get pinned down and drown. Even in just waist deep water. It sounds ridiculous, but unfortunately happens more than you would think. Picture a quick 30 gallons of water in your bibs = 250 lbs of pressure holding you down while you're pinned on you back.
    I'd just wear a wetsuit or cut one off at waist. Cheap and easy
    If you got room for 30 gallons in your waders you might have bought the wrong size .