Saltwater WA saltwater fishing regs?

gloxx

Aug 28, 2012
WA
Name
Erik
Boat
unnamed
I dont believe a barb ticket qualifies as a convicted offense, but I could be wrong.
It definitely does. Barbs was one of the three that counted as convicted for me. The illegible address would've been the 3rd, but I got it thrown out. All of my tickets were fine amounts of $99 and under and the tickets didn't have any warning about 3 resulting in a loss of license. I actually told the officer to write that barbs one to me. My new to fishing guest came and brought their kids on my boat to have some fun catching sole and I didn't know the barbless regs had been expanded from just salmon fishing to all fishing in the sound. It's a cheap ticket and I didn't want to ruin their good time. But 6 months later got a notice for a license revocation. Was lucky to win.

Like probably a lot of us here, I spend many thousands a year just keeping my boat slipped, buying fuel, and a couple ocean trips per year. The ticket amount itself amounts to almost nothing in comparison, but never pay them thinking that it's no big deal.

I have a legal insurance though my work benefit so I use them, but I know of Jason Newcombe in King County and Lance Fryrear in Snohomish who take on these kinds of caseds. If they're like traffic tickets, you pay a few hundred dollars and they can get it dismissed to changed to something non-fishing related so it stays off your record for the 3 in 10 years thing.

Upvote 0

Soulakala

Almost A Member
Oct 23, 2019
Ocean Park, Wa
Name
Chuck
Boat
Weldcraft 24' Ocean King
About time one of our Washington legislators got a bill going that takes these minor, more of an oversight infraction off the table towards loss of fishing privileges. I can't count the number of times I've had to change gear in a hurry only to find later the hooks had barbs. Not my intention to run barbs but it has happened and I don't have a problem paying for the ticket since it was my oversight but really a notch towards loss of fishing privileges, give me a break.

Reactions: gloxx
Upvote 0

Pipe Dream

Jun 15, 2009
University Place Washington
Name
Larry
Boat
20 foot Grady-White, Pipe Dream
About time one of our Washington legislators got a bill going that takes these minor, more of an oversight infraction off the table towards loss of fishing privileges. I can't count the number of times I've had to change gear in a hurry only to find later the hooks had barbs. Not my intention to run barbs but it has happened and I don't have a problem paying for the ticket since it was my oversight but really a notch towards loss of fishing privileges, give me a break.

Maybe make the revocation process the same as for commercials. Multiple violations in the same fishery then a review and vote by a committee made up of Staff and commercials with a preponderance of commercials. Not surprising there aren't many (any?) revocations.

Upvote 0

Soulakala

Almost A Member
Oct 23, 2019
Ocean Park, Wa
Name
Chuck
Boat
Weldcraft 24' Ocean King
Maybe make the revocation process the same as for commercials. Multiple violations in the same fishery then a review and vote by a committee made up of Staff and commercials with a preponderance of commercials. Not surprising there aren't many (any?) revocations.
Sounds like a review process similar to the medical malpractice review board in every state.

Upvote 0

liltrouble

Jun 9, 2012
ShillCreek, WA USA
Name
Shari
Boat
Mr. Buttercup
Yes. If you pay any 3 tickets over 10 years. Regardless of whether the WDFW officer determines your barbs aren't pinched flat enough, or the only pen that you keep on the boat dried out and you couldn't write into your CRC immediately upon retaining the catch, or if the sun and salt wear away the permanent marker on your crab buoy to make part of your address illegible. You can lose your license for 2 years if you just paid the tickets thinking it wasn't worth the trouble to fight. I know because I personally received the notice for revocation after the minor infractions I stated above, but I won the appeal by going through the county court and getting one tossed.

Here is the reg: https://app.leg.wa.gov/rcw/default.aspx?cite=77.15.700
I think a lot of fisherfolks aren't aware and think it's just a small $30-$99 ticket and no big deal, not realizing they have brought themselves that much closer to losing their fishing privileges in multiple states. Do your best to comply but if you get a ticket, remember to never just pay it thinking it's not worth the hassle. A lawyer can almost always get it changed to a non-fishing offense or dismissed.

Gloxx for that to happen you have to NOT show up for court or pay your fines. you do that, no problem. We all know Washington is barbless for salmon.

Takecats out your tickets. the RCW clearly states no show - no pay, then you lose your privelege .

That is false that out affects other states. A state misdemeanor fishing violation has no jurisdiction into other states. show me a federal statute for this please.

If you are a felon in Washington, you are prohibited from possessing a firearm in all 50 states. That may preclude you from hunting in some states as they won't issue a license unless they sell an exclusive bow hunting license.

Upvote 0

gloxx

Aug 28, 2012
WA
Name
Erik
Boat
unnamed
Gloxx for that to happen you have to NOT show up for court or pay your fines. you do that, no problem. We all know Washington is barbless for salmon.

Takecats out your tickets. the RCW clearly states no show - no pay, then you lose your privelege .

That is false that out affects other states. A state misdemeanor fishing violation has no jurisdiction into other states. show me a federal statute for this please.

If you are a felon in Washington, you are prohibited from possessing a firearm in all 50 states. That may preclude you from hunting in some states as they won't issue a license unless they sell an exclusive bow hunting license.

You're wrong. You don't want to believe the state would do this over such minor infractions but it's true. I also used to think this was for poachers who steal hundreds of pounds of game, not some guy out with his family who didn't pinch barbs flounder fishing or with a dried out pen that couldn't mark on the crc. Until it personally happened to me because I paid fines for tickets that were below $99. 3 tickets inside a 10 year span.

They have an multi state pact causing you to lose fishing rights in multiple states. Do not ever just pay your fines thinking it's gone away.

Edited: In the interest of minimizing personal identifiers, I removed the photo of the revocation letter for paid barbs/not immediately writing on CRC card tickets now that you have seen it.

Last edited:
Upvote 0

liltrouble

Jun 9, 2012
ShillCreek, WA USA
Name
Shari
Boat
Mr. Buttercup
You are correct. Washington is a member of the F&W compact agreement.

"The compact creates reciprocity among member states for purposes of hunting, fishing, and trapping license suspensions. In most instances, when a resident of a Compact state ("home state") commits a wildlife violation in another member state ("charging state"), the officer in the charging state can treat the non-resident violator as though he/she were a resident - issuing a citation and releasing him/her on personal recognizance. If the violator fails to comply with the citation, the charging state may request the violator's home state to suspend hunting privileges until the violator complies with the terms of the ticket. If the violator is convicted, he/she will be entered into the Compact database. The home state and all member states may treat the conviction as though it occurred in their own state for purposes of license suspension."

Upvote 0