patfishhi

Sep 20, 2007
Oahu
Name
Pat
Boat Name
32' Blackfin "Kai Nana"
Westside Ahi Tournament

So how long has it been since there was a 2 day AHI tournament on Father's Day Weekend, 2014 my records show. Wil Gundaker (Gundaker LLC) and his crew put on a "helluva" show for sure, good times were had by all CHEE!!! Never heard the final count of boats, it was well attended for sure.

Day 1: 6/18 Eric and Darren got down to the boat a little before 5, we pushed off at 5:15 start fishing 5:30. Digress for a moment.. some different rules (compared to Ahe Fever) for the tourny/no need call in fish, stop fish/secured requires you to be verified by an observer in harbor Sat. 4:59, Sun 3:59, video/pic evidence of catch on boat w/ team number at time of boating fish, no marlin category, there was a $100 marlin side, ahi and marlin had to be gut and gilled. I'm sure there were others.

Let's get back on track, we headed south 1500 down below BO, thought of HH, but it was bumpy and a long azz ride, so stayed down there for awhile. Long story short, 0 for 0 not a touch.

Day 2: 6/19 Father's Day, pretty much the same drill, other than adorned the tower frame with a Ti Maile Lei. Set up inside S, made a pass on S then headed out and down the 1000, more boats this way today compared to yesterday. Around 9 just crossing over the 1000, coming out from a run inside the port rigger goes, not a crazy run, but for sure the right one. Darren and I got the deck cleared and set up, Eric got the gear on and went to work, not terribly stubborn, did have to keep the boat stern to the seas, a little bumpy and Kai'Nana's style, she heaves plenty in a beam sea, hazardous for the angler. Darren leader, I gaffed, pulled him over the side, shweet. Take the necessary pic and went about setting back up, GnG our little buddy and went hunting...
ericbent 061922.jpg

ericahi 061922.jpg

Probably around 12:30 the center goes, this one really goes and the line parts WTF!!! Lick our wounds and continue with our quest. Around 2:30 starting to walk our way back to the harbor, need to be in by 3:59. The center goes again, rips like 40 yds of line and stops... Never makes any more runs, takes line but never runs hard. Darren gets set up, Eric and Pat get the deck ready for more blood. The fish is stubborn, same drill keep Kai'Nana stern to, starting to get close, finally see color, he is upright, not on his side, just swimming back and forth, oh the joy, keeping an eye on the clock. Finally get a shot at leader, gaff in and in the boat. Eric takes the wheel heads it towards the harbor, get the riggers in, never cleared them because bumping forward. Once cleared, picked up the speed, Darren and I GnG and get things straightened up, think we secured around 3:40. Weighed the 2 boy 102 and 121, cut the first one second one just chillin'.
darrenbent 061922.jpg

130 061922.jpg

bayz 061922.jpg

lures 061922.jpg

Old school Shiroma and new JSI did 'em in, did lose another JSI.

Thanks Gundaker LLC.

Cheers
Pat

Upvote 0

Dillusion

May 6, 2021
Hawaii
Name
Kyle
Boat Name
Tern Cat 18
Slow weekend for us as well. Couple Marlin strikes Sat but nothing sticked.

Not sure if anyone else saw but we found the pilot whales on the 1000 straight out.

Reactions: anykine77
Upvote 0

hiloboy

Okinawaiian Sencho
Feb 26, 2009
Okinawa Japan
Name
Donald
Boat Name
Yamaha 25 SR Flybridge
Pat, Eric, and Darrin, great job on getting it done!
Mahalo for always bringing us along!

Upvote 0

ahi lawaia

Jan 17, 2008
Hawaii
Name
CP
Boat Name
Boston Whaler Conquest 21
Nice catch, Pat and crew! Too bad the bigger one broke line. Been looking for a pic of Sunday's leaderboard; hope to see Kai Nana on it.

Upvote 0

patfishhi

Sep 20, 2007
Oahu
Name
Pat
Boat Name
32' Blackfin "Kai Nana"
Good Going Pat and crew.
We were not as fortunate. Only 1 marlin hit each day and both came off.

Aloha
Ron
Thanks Ron, glad you got to play, even though no more nothing.
Awesome report/pics Pat. NICE AHI you two!!
Thanks Ron.
Slow weekend for us as well. Couple Marlin strikes Sat but nothing sticked.

Not sure if anyone else saw but we found the pilot whales on the 1000 straight out.
Kyle, a slip neighbor called and said he was hooked up to a monster, all he got back was the head, obviously he found the whales.
Nice ahis, good going on your catch!
Thanks Jimmy
Great tuna!!!
Thanks Wally
Good job we only had broken ❤️ nd dreams in kaneohe managed to loose 3 third one at the boat probably close to 200.
Thanks Steve and bummers on your broken heart, mine would ache after that as well.
Pat, Eric, and Darrin, great job on getting it done!
Mahalo for always bringing us along!
Thanks Donald
Great job and report Pat.
Thanks Chuck
Nice catch, Pat and crew! Too bad the bigger one broke line. Been looking for a pic of Sunday's leaderboard; hope to see Kai Nana on it.
Thanks Courtland, we checked the board and knew we weren't in the running.

Cheers
Pat

Reactions: Tunahead
Upvote 0

grander007

I Should Upgrade My Account
May 10, 2007
Honolulu
Name
zzzz
Boat Name
46, Bertram, Deep Blue
way to go Team BlackFin!

I saw the title and I am not a big Cardi B fan, but hey maybe try playing WAP while you fish next time might get a bigger one!

tight lines,

Upvote 0

patfishhi

Sep 20, 2007
Oahu
Name
Pat
Boat Name
32' Blackfin "Kai Nana"
way to go Team BlackFin!

I saw the title and I am not a big Cardi B fan, but hey maybe try playing WAP while you fish next time might get a bigger one!

tight lines,
Thanks Eric, maybe some Disturbed, not Cardi B.
Thanks for a great weekend on the water
Thanks Darren, it was a FUN weekend for sure.
Pat back in action! Nice catch! These are the type of posts that get the ahi fever going haha...
Thanks Randy, and before you know it we'll be looking forward to next summer...

Cheers
Pat

Upvote 0