Offshore Voyager 2 Day Report Labor Day Weekend 2021

Tac_SB

Nov 20, 2018
Name
Steve
Boat
n/a
Labor Day 2 Day on the Voyager
Arrived at Seaforth a few hours prior to departure to meet the other guys on the charter. Everyone was friendly and anxiously awaiting the next few days on the water. The Voyager arrived around 10pm, everyone loaded up their gear in preparation for the long night ahead. Captain Todd stopped by the bait barge to get sardines, followed by a rundown of what we can expect over the next few days. He advised the weather was not ideal for a trip directly offshore so he made the decision to go looking for kelp paddies. The crew gave a safety brief and we all rigged up tackle - ready to put a hurting on the fish the next day.

Todd and the crew found the first kelp paddy in the morning, no bites. Second kelp paddy produced 2 Dorado, one of which I was fortunate enough to bag (fly line sardine on 40lb). Its going to be a good day right? Well, the fish had other ideas. The weather was rough throughout the day as Todd was talking on the PA and sharing what he was seeing with the passengers. I was impressed with this communication throughout the trip. It was a long day of looking and stopping on many kelp resulting in 1 more dorado for the day. Day 1 ended with 3 dorado on deck. Optimistic for Day 2 we went to sleep

Second day we structure fished closer to home and had a great day of rock fishing in order to get everyone some freezer meat. I support the decisions that were made on this trip by Todd - he fished hard all day and we all gave it a valiant effort. Lot of nice reds, salmon grouper, and a few sheep head were the result along with misc. rockfish.

The food provided by the crew was good and given the size of the galley, it was efficient and everyone was fed timely, Todd runs a great boat and will definitely be a return customer on the Voyager. He took the time to chat with everyone and inform what he was hearing from other captains and the weather situation - based on the fishing reports he was 100% honest with us and made the correct decision to fish where we did.

It was a solid group of guys - Frank and John, thank you for setting this up and for the invite. It was a pleasure meeting everyone on this trip and we shared some unforgettable memories and stories with one another. The Arizona boys will be back again. Also, thank you Todd and Crew for the effort and hospitality.

Tunahead
Tunahead
Great report. Sounds like you all made the most of it. Good Job.
Reactions: Tac_SB
Upvote 0

swami 805

I Post A Lot But I Can't Edit This
Mar 9, 2016
Name
Bill
Boat
sunk it
Nice report, made the best out of crappy conditions. With a good attitude like yours hard to have a bad trip. A lot of guys would be crying about the skippers decision not to go to tanner or cortez

Upvote 0

Tunahead

Long Time Tuna Abused Member
  • Aug 11, 2006
    Costa Mesa
    Name
    Ron
    Boat
    several
    Great report and info. What no pics???
    The gang likes pics/Bloody Decks here. LOL

BEEF.jpg

Upvote 0

kevine001

Jul 22, 2020
    Santa Clarita, CA
    Name
    KEVIN ENG
    Boat
    Mission Belle
    I fished Voyager last October on a friend's private charter. About a dozen guys. Got my cow and a shit ton of other fish. Epic trip. Your experience sounds wildly familiar. We had an awesome trip. Todd and Chuck (co-captain) were incredible. Nolan and Josh were the deckhands with Josh also doing the cooking. Food was amazing. Sorry the trip didn't turn out as planned, but glad they got you something to take home.

Upvote 0