Offshore Voyager 1.5 day 4/29 - 5/1

Jul 22, 2020
Santa Clarita, CA
Name
KEVIN ENG
Boat Name
Voyager
I’ve fished this boat a couple times, with Chuck as co-captain and now captain. He’s an absolute fish killer. Headed south with the rest of the fleet, maybe 40 miles off the coast of Ensenada. Got there about 3:00 am on Sat. A few guys picked off a few with deep drop knife jigs, anything from about 30-90 lbs, I got nada. Few stops before bfast burritos, nada

Got going on the day fishing. Every stop was a couple blue fin. Same grade. Maybe 60-90 lbs. Again, knife jigs and some colt snipers. I got nada

Morning and daytime, guys caught BFT on jigs with 40-80 lb. The guys on 40# took a little longer

Burgers around 1230 pm and a few more stops for the afternoon. I don’t recall much getting hung in the afternoon and I still got nada

Dinner was steaks and pesto pasta. Very nice job Riley.

And now what you’ve been waiting for. The night bite. We prob started hitting it at about 8-8:3 hrs. I ran a heavy Japanese jig that I tried all day. Similar to SK. A variety of knife, SK and other heavy jigs were used. I recall at least one was on and I got my first bite at about 9-9:30 pm. Running my Terez xtra heavy, speedmaster 25 with 100# braid and 100# mono. Deckhands Danny and Alex slammed my drag shut, hit the easy button and cranking was on. Took about 30-40 mins and hung an 80-90 lb BFT. As soon as jig was out of his mouth and Chuck got us into another spot, I dropped again. Prob 10 drops and I was bit again. Took another 40 mins (I was a bit gassed) but #2 was on the deck. Between the 2 stops for the night bite, we prob added 10 more to the count. Prob had 14 at dinner time. A couple (not mine) we’re close or at being cows

Chuck prob stayed out an extra hour. He, and his crew, Danny, Alex, Matt (mud) and Riley did an awesome job. Absolute fish killers.

Pics to follow

Last edited:

bradnoble

Backcountry Snowboarder
Aug 8, 2009
Steamboat Springs, Colorado
Name
Brad
Boat Name
19' Glasstron
I’ve fished this boat a couple times, with Chuck as co-captain and now captain. He’s an absolute fish killer. Headed south with the rest of the fleet, maybe 40 miles off the coast of Ensenada. Got there about 3:00 am hrs on Sat. A few guys picked off a few with deep drop knife jigs, anything from about 30-90 lbs, I got a nada. Few stops before bfast burritos, nada

Got going on the day fishing. Every stop was a couple blue fin. Same grade. Maybe 60-90 lbs. Again, knife jigs and some colt snipers. I got nada

Morning and daytime, guys caught BFT on jigs with 40-80 lb. The guys on 40# took a little longer

Burgers around 1230 pm and a few more stops for the afternoon. I don’t recall much getting hung in the afternoon and I still got nada

Dinner was steaks and pesto pasta. Very nice job Riley.

And now what you’ve been waiting for. The night bite. We prob started hitting it at about 8-8:3 hrs. I ran a heavy Japanese jig that I tried all day. Similar to SK. A variety of knife, SK and other heavy jigs were used. I recall at least one was on and I got my first bite at about 9-9:30 pm. Running my Terez xtra heavy, speedmaster 25 with 100# braid and 100# mono. Deckhands Danny and Alex slammed my drag shut, I hit the east button and cranking was on. Took about 30-40 mins and hung an 80-90 lb BFT. As soon as jig was out of his mouth and Chuck got us into another spot, I dropped again. Prob 10 drops and I was bit again. Took another 40 mins (I was a bit gassed) but #2 was on the deck. Between the 2 stops for the night bite, we prob added 10 more to the count. Prob had 14 at dinner time. A couple (not mine) we’re close or at being cows

Chuck prob stayed out an extra hour. He, and his crew, Danny, Alex, Matt (mud) and Riley did an awesome job. Absolute fish killers.

Pics to follow
Did you guys fly the kite daytime??

Upvote 0
Jul 22, 2020
Santa Clarita, CA
Name
KEVIN ENG
Boat Name
Voyager
Here's the pics...my two buddies with theirs, and I'm the only Asian dude...hey, it's Asian Pacific Islander month or something like that...videos coming up shortly

IMG_7561.JPG

IMG_7564.JPG

IMG_7570.JPG

IMG_7576.JPG

IMG_8961.JPG

IMG_8972.JPG

IMG_8974.JPG

IMG_8978.JPG

Upvote 0
Jul 22, 2020
Santa Clarita, CA
Name
KEVIN ENG
Boat Name
Voyager
Not a bad day day...here's a pic of all minus one 80-90 as my friend had them filet it on the boat...and the knife jig I used. 7/0 assist hooks.

I've read some other posts about the Voyagers fish topping out at 100...NOPE. I brought a scale and we weighed my friends and a couple others that were in the 70-90 range. I personally saw at least 2-3 fish come over the rail that were 1.5x the size of ours. Last pic is one of them, with my size 13 boot next to it. You can judge for yourself. No way that's not way over 100#

IMG_7563.JPG

IMG_7596.JPG

IMG_E7593.JPG

Upvote 0

Y E T I

Jul 1, 2021
San Diego
Name
Scott
Boat Name
Parker
Matty mud is a fish killer. Best kid In the game. Slayed a fatty that trip I heard
Yup! Mud got one that weighed about 180# I think. Kevin saw them weigh it so he'd know better.

A lot of our fish were over 100# Of the 20 BFT we got, I would guestimate that 6-10 were over 100#. Kevin?

I'm the dude in the Blue Pelagic shirt in Kevin's pictures and that was my first BFT. I grew up here in SD and have caught or speared just about every kind of fish we have in SoCal but have never been able to get a BFT. It was great to finally get one!

That was a great trip and I cannot emphasize how hard Chuck and all the deckhands worked to get us on the fish and keep us there, even staying out an hour or more later than planned since the bite was on.

Silver knife jigs seemed to be the hot ticket. I caught mine on this guy:
eTi0nY.jpg

Upvote 0
Jul 22, 2020
Santa Clarita, CA
Name
KEVIN ENG
Boat Name
Voyager
Hugo, much appreciated on the invite. Man I would love to go but I have a 2-day on the Excalibur in early July and then another 2-day on the Voyager with Chuck in early October. Plus, Labor Day weekend is opening weekend for archery deer season. I'll be hunting something else that weekend, but good luck.

Chuck was an awesome co-captain with Todd and is an excellent captain. I hope to fish for a long time with him at the wheel.

Reactions: Y E T I
Upvote 0