Voter Voice: we want A7 Sept opportunity!

PSULion

Apr 9, 2019
WA
Name
Me
Boat
13' Gregor
If you are passionate about Puget Sound salmon fishing, I ask you to send a pre-written message using this LINK to the Washington Department of Fish & Wildlife (WDFW) Director and Commissioners about reopening Marine Area 7 for hatchery Coho salmon and pink salmon as soon as possible.

The mismanagement of Marina Area 7 this year was devastating to boating and fishing businesses and to anglers and families that canceled long-planned trips and vacations.

If Marina Area 7 is not your home water or an area you regularly fish, it is still important for anglers all across Puget Sound to share their concerns with WDFW. Collectively this is how we will protect future mark-selective salmon fishing opportunities.
You can send a message now by clicking on this Action Alert
https://www.votervoice.net/NMTA/campaigns/87650/respond

A lot is happening behind the scenes to fix the unfairness of North of Falcon and the complete lack of enforcement of the Boldt Decision and the Puget Sound Salmon Management Plan. Your participation in this voter voice is appreciated.

-Barry

Upvote 0

sgwill122

I Should Upgrade My Account
Feb 21, 2011
Redmond/WA/USA
Name
Stephen
Boat
'Lady Karen' 28 Duckworth Offshore
I sent off a mail. Hope it does something for you guys. Area 7 has been getting especially crappy treatment this year.

Reactions: FISHTALE2
Upvote 0

Genie Aye

FISH BOSS
  • Sep 25, 2008
    Westport/Renton
    Name
    Cap't Paul
    Boat
    V-20 Wellcraft w/200 G2
    These seasons are set at NOF and PFMC. The state can't change them once they hit quota for that area except to close it.
    Good luck...wish you the best.

Upvote 0

PSULion

Apr 9, 2019
    WA
    Name
    Me
    Boat
    13' Gregor
    The co-managers are in discussion about A7 right now. They can reopen it today if they wanted. We only reached 53% of ESA impacts - the only quota NMFS cares about. There is nothing stopping them. The state has put forth a proposal.

Last edited:
    Reactions: FISHTALE2
    Upvote 0

koopa

Arima Adventures
    Feb 3, 2018
    Puget sound
    Name
    Koopa
    Boat
    Arima
    I will raise my voice and put in my comments. We needed something similar for the devastating impacts that were caused by the closure of the winter fishery. MA 9-11 really took in the rear as we lost around 4 months of winter fishing and saw reductions to summer quotas/seasons. Point Defiance boathouse was a ghost town this winter and probably would not of survived if it wasn’t subsidized by metro parks/city of Tacoma. I’m sure there are many other businesses that were directly impacted by the large reduction in our seasons. I always wondered why NMTA hasn’t had a louder voice as our seasons have slowly declined year over year.

Upvote 0

Team Sency

Fish!! Or be Fished!!!
    Jan 6, 2012
    Black Diamond
    Name
    Chris
    Boat
    JuiceBox2
    Thanks for the efforts Barry!

A7 is not my home waters, but I have enjoyed getting to learn the basics of the fishery and dang...what a gorgeous and special place in the world...

I have a 9 and 11 year old and have really enjoyed taking them on adventures to new places. We certainly love CATCHING, but we ultimately love the adventure and finding line peeling critters.

I just want opportunities/options to go...even if meant CNR or a 1 fish limit. Just to be given a green light to hitch the boat up and be allowed to wet a line...

Upvote 0