mrfishcado

Los Panchos Sportfishing
Mar 25, 2006
Pomona, CA
Name
Paco
Boat
1996 Ranger 488VS 1980 24' Skipjack "La Cuarentona"
So my risers took a shit and hydrolocked the engine. I will be replacing the exhaust and risers. I broke a tooth on the flywheel and need to pull the motor in order to repair it. I have room to pull the engine forward a few inches and then pulling the engine. My question is, is this possible or do I need to remove the outdrive.

meandmyself

Who knows
Aug 5, 2012
san jose
Name
edgar teixeira
Boat
1991 Farallon Whaleback 25 Rock Bottom
you will have to to remove the drive, and a alignment will have to do be done when you reinstall the engine anyways

Reactions: mrfishcado

kindafishy

I've posted enough I should edit this section
Jul 21, 2010
hemet/ca/riverside
Name
SCOTT
Boat
bayliner cierra express 2452 "RYLEE'S WAVE RYDER"
^whast he said^

SD2600

Opinions aren’t constitutional- they are earned
Apr 13, 2017
San diego
Name
Dustin
Boat
26' sea swirl
Without question. Look At above posts... easiest part is removing the drive...

sandman1

captain
Jun 11, 2006
Lakeside,Ca
Name
Steve
Boat
25' Chris Craft "Mucha Lucha", 12' "Mighty Livingston"
we are in the middle of same situation. we removed heat exchanger and sea strainer and brackets from forward engine compartment bulkhead. that gave us at least 6 to 8 inches of clearance. removed bolts from bellhousing to drive and forward motor mounts and slid motor forward a few inches and lifted up and out very easy. drive did not move and i have no idea why an alignment would be needed. should be reinstalling next weekend. i will let you know of results.

SilentViper

Fishing fiend
Aug 21, 2012
Buena Park
Name
Jimmy McGinness
Boat
1980 Skipjack 24 open
you will have to to remove the drive, and a alignment will have to do be done when you reinstall the engine anyways
Do you/anyone know the procedure to align the engine when put back in? I just put mine back in after rebuilding the transom + engine beds?

kindafishy

Jul 21, 2010
hemet/ca/riverside
Name
SCOTT
Boat
bayliner cierra express 2452 "RYLEE'S WAVE RYDER"
Do you/anyone know the procedure to align the engine when put back in? I just put mine back in after rebuilding the transom + engine beds?
yes, at least for mercruiser. you'll need a alingment tool. if its not aligned right, it will wipe out your coupler and / or gimbal bearing. if your not familar i'd take it to a shop. its not hard, but if its out, will test your patience.

40Grit

Sep 9, 2009
Newport Beach California
Name
Steve Brown
Boat
Radovich 34
The Volvo’s have alignment lugs cast into the shield. It’s a feeler gauging system. A screwdriver will work. The biggest thing to check is side to side. Your aligning your exhaust risers with the “Y pipe
Easily out of alignment side to side

SilentViper

Fishing fiend
Aug 21, 2012
Buena Park
Name
Jimmy McGinness
Boat
1980 Skipjack 24 open
The Volvo’s have alignment lugs cast into the shield. It’s a feeler gauging system. A screwdriver will work. The biggest thing to check is side to side. Your aligning your exhaust risers with the “Y pipe
Easily out of alignment side to side
Thank you!! I do have a volvo 280, and that's exactly what I was looking for! I ordered one of these to mimic the overpriced OEM alignment wedge.

Reactions: 40Grit

mrfishcado

Los Panchos Sportfishing
Mar 25, 2006
Pomona, CA
Name
Paco
Boat
1996 Ranger 488VS 1980 24' Skipjack "La Cuarentona"
Is it the same for the XDP composite drive. I know a lot of people have bad things to say about them but on a single engine set up I get 2.2-2.5 mpg

meandmyself

Who knows
Aug 5, 2012
san jose
Name
edgar teixeira
Boat
1991 Farallon Whaleback 25 Rock Bottom
my volvo SX drive is the same as the mercruiser above, just a blank shaft you slide in and out with no binding its all good if not adjust the mounts until good. still have that thing