ivane068

Professional hide and seek player..
May 20, 2010
San Diego
Name
Ivan Esquivel
Boat
Parker 2520 Fin Reaper
Never owned an inboard/outboard boat before. I'm Currently looking at two seperate striper 2601 walk arounds. Both have volvo penta 5.7 (gas) with 800 and 900 hours and are priced at 26k and 34k. My questions are whats the average life span of the penta engine, and are those hours high? Is there any major issues or mechanical replacements i might run into in the near future at those hours?

Not sure if im better of holding out for an outboard..

meandmyself

Who knows
Aug 5, 2012
san jose
Name
edgar teixeira
Boat
1991 Farallon Whaleback 25 Rock Bottom
manifolds and oil pans are the major problem with gas inboards, if the bilge get a lot of salt water in it the oil pan will rust. the manifolds and riser needed to be replaced every 5 or so years to be safe and riser should be removed and checked every other year. but one thing say away from Volvo XDP Composite Drive. they are plastic and known to fail.

the 5.7 is a Chevy engine change the oil etc. it should last a long time. also replacing an I/O long block is like $4k. all boat engine I/O or OB have their up and downs.

Are you keeping in in the water if so I wouldn't go with a I/O unless you are keeping it on a boat lift.

bus kid

rebmem nwonk llew
Feb 8, 2009
www.spacex.com
Name
David
Boat
Skipjack 20 open
Ive put 200 hours on my 1997 5.7 since it was rebuilt back in dec 2015.rebuilt at 2274 hours. It pushes my skippy just fine.
20150718_065749.jpg

tuner

pysgotwyr
May 24, 2006
Huntington Beach
Name
Steve
Boat
260 Mackinaw
What year is the 5.7?

The Vortec series 5.7 engines are very good and will run to 2500hrs or more. You can easily identify the engine by the bolts in the center of the valve covers. The TBI and MPI versions are very efficient as well.

As others have said, exhaust manifolds, risers, and oil pans are the primary concern. Engine repair or replacement is much less expensive than any outboard of equivalent power.

The outdrive is the real concern.

kindafishy

I've posted enough I should edit this section
Jul 21, 2010
hemet/ca/riverside
Name
SCOTT
Boat
bayliner cierra express 2452 "RYLEE'S WAVE RYDER"
What year is the 5.7?

The Vortec series 5.7 engines are very good and will run to 2500hrs or more. You can easily identify the engine by the bolts in the center of the valve covers. The TBI and MPI versions are very efficient as well.

As others have said, exhaust manifolds, risers, and oil pans are the primary concern. Engine repair or replacement is much less expensive than any outboard of equivalent power.

center bolt valve covers isn't always right. a better way is the intake manifold bolts, non vortecs the bolts are angled, the vortecs intake bolts go straight down (bolt heads level with the boat deck)

vortecs also use only 8 bolts for the intake, others used 12 bolts

Last edited:

tuner

pysgotwyr
May 24, 2006
Huntington Beach
Name
Steve
Boat
260 Mackinaw
center bolt valve covers isn't always right. a better way is the intake manifold bolts, non vortecs the bolts are angled, the vortecs intake bolts go straight down (bolt heads level with the boat deck)

vortecs also use only 8 bolts for the intake, others used 12 bolts
Agreed. The engine should also have a serial # for identification.

All GM 5.7 (L31) iron "vortec" heads have centerbolt valve covers. Some of the late TBI and TPI heads have center bolts, but I don't think they were used on marine engines. Aftermarket heads can be either way.

Volvo, PCM, Mercruiser, etc, use the same GM 5.7 marine long block with iron heads and "center bolt" valve covers.

Last edited:

kindafishy

I've posted enough I should edit this section
Jul 21, 2010
hemet/ca/riverside
Name
SCOTT
Boat
bayliner cierra express 2452 "RYLEE'S WAVE RYDER"
im building a 383 now from my mercruiser 5.7. its a 96 260 hp and has center bolt valve covers, 12 intake bolts and a non vortec combustion chamber. the heads just before vortec where this way.
:-)it now has vortecs on it

Fishbones

Your wife thinks about ME
Nov 7, 2005
Chula Vista
Name
Rich
Boat
One Off 28' Custom Built Skipjack (SOUTHWESTERN) & 18' Sylvan (Short Runs)
I wouldn't own an I/O unless it had an enclosed cooling system. Saltwater going through an iron engine block and exhaust manifolds is a ticking time bomb

meandmyself

Who knows
Aug 5, 2012
san jose
Name
edgar teixeira
Boat
I agree closed cooling is the way to go, but with that said. I've owned 3 other I/O's with out and having done my own service and wash down with salt away thier whole;e life, the blocks where very clean with very little rust in them, for some reason the manifolds seem to be were the rust builds up. also I think the head gaskets will go before the the blocks fail.

I wouldn't own an I/O unless it had an enclosed cooling system. Saltwater going through an iron engine block and exhaust manifolds is a ticking time bomb

Reactions: Fishbones

ivane068

May 20, 2010
San Diego
Name
Ivan Esquivel
Boat
Parker 2520 Fin Reaper
What year is the 5.7?

There 2002 Volvo Penta Gi models.

ivane068

May 20, 2010
San Diego
Name
Ivan Esquivel
Boat
Parker 2520 Fin Reaper
they are Vortec engines and should have SX or DP-S drives all good. and not to send you to other site but have you check http://seastriper.com/forums/index.php
a lot of great striper info there.
Been online all day reading about it, was planning on scheduling a pre purchase inspection tommorow but all the horror stories are making me think i might be making a mistake and should stick with an outboard.

tanner.s

Fish Slaughterer
Oct 18, 2012
San Diego
Name
Tanner
Boat
1997 Proline 23 W/A
They really aren't all that bad. Just be sure to factor in a possible $4k repower in the future. Keep up on maintenance and it will be just fine. Don't forget drive maintenance.

Sent from my SM-G925V using Tapatalk

meandmyself

Who knows
Aug 5, 2012
san jose
Name
edgar teixeira
Boat
they are not that bad many guys have problem and from then on they put them down. I've seen too mean OB throw a rod, head gasket etc.... and you've head of the Yamaha exhaust problem right? I have an uncle right now with a 2004 Yamaha with a bad power head, they want like $6K to replace it. you wont get that with a proven engine Chevy ford etc I/O. but yes there are parts on them made by the marine company. I work on my own engines saves me a lot of money, I under stand I/O better than OB be a automotive mechanic. not that I cant work on OB it just I feel if i'm stuck out there I can figure something out.

if your the type of guy to fish the boat and drop it off once a year at the boat shop for service, both motors will have there problems.

I like to work on the boat and fix most things before they become a problem. I even run the boat weekly on the trailer in the off season.

But it all comes down to feeling safe on the boat you have to do what feels good to you.

Last edited:
Reactions: bus kid

tuner

pysgotwyr
May 24, 2006
Huntington Beach
Name
Steve
Boat
260 Mackinaw
I think its raw water but i may be wrong
A full closed system would be ideal, only the risers, water pump, and heat exchanger are exposed to salt water.

The reduced lifespan of a raw water cooled engine is a concern. The risers should be pulled, they will give you some insight about prior maintenance and flushing.

I would negotiate with the possibility of a long block replacement and adding a full or half closed cooling system.

All engine types fail at some point, just pick your poison and price point.

Reactions: meandmyself

Jboone77

May 30, 2012
El cajon, ca
Name
Jboone
Boat
19' SeaPro
Just wondering if you ever bought a I/O Striper. I've been looking at a 2601 also and, like you, I'm very skeptical of the I/O engine. I talked to a few mechanics and they say that the outdrives are very expensive to replace on a Volvo. I found that if you search all of Craigslist, you can find really nice 26' Stripers back east for a lot less that out here in San Diego. It cost around $1500 to get a boat that size shipped across country.