Volvo DP-290 won't go into gear

scrivs

Jul 14, 2008
Waialua
Name
John
Boat
Marlin 27/ Phoenix 29sfx
So, I go down to Kaneohe to run my Marlin 28 with AD41-B Motor. First of all it took ether to start it but after that she was running Cherry. Problem is, she wont shift into gear (fwd or rev). I've never had her not shift before. I disconnected the cable from the throttle assy and the throttle operates fine without the cable attached. First time dealing with these sort of problems and I'd be stoked if you guys can help me out as far as things to check.:hali_olutta:

salty nuts

I've posted enough I should edit this section
Jun 2, 2004
Camarillo
Name
Tim Mohawk
Boat
25 Davis Rockharbor Volvo D4-260 TailChaser
Maybe the cone clutch is shot in the outdrive...

grander007

May 10, 2007
Honolulu
Name
zzzz
Boat
46, Bertram, Deep Blue
god damn... ether... east coast style... if no can figure out, try Duane, great mechanic, 223 4919

tight lines,

scrivs

Jul 14, 2008
Waialua
Name
John
Boat
Marlin 27/ Phoenix 29sfx
Maybe the cone clutch is shot in the outdrive...
There was no sort of noise/failure. I hadn't put the boat in the water in close to a year, so was thinking a sticking cable or something. Last time I took her out, she shifted just fine...

scrivs

Jul 14, 2008
Waialua
Name
John
Boat
Marlin 27/ Phoenix 29sfx
god damn... ether... east coast style... if no can figure out, try Duane, great mechanic, 223 4919

tight lines,

Ha! Funny you say that, was a Rhode Islander that suggested the Ether (farming family). I'm from here though. If all else fails, I'll be sure to give Duane a call. Thanks!:hali_olutta:

LarryGaddis

Larry Gaddis
May 21, 2009
Honolulu, Hawaii, USA
Name
Larry
Boat
30" Force
So, I go down to Kaneohe to run my Marlin 28 with AD41-B Motor. First of all it took ether to start it but after that she was running Cherry. Problem is, she wont shift into gear (fwd or rev). I've never had her not shift before. I disconnected the cable from the throttle assy and the throttle operates fine without the cable attached. First time dealing with these sort of problems and I'd be stoked if you guys can help me out as far as things to check.:hali_olutta:
You're probably going to have to pull the boat to sort this out. When you take the cover off the shifter assembly (two screws), you can see what is going on. Often when the boat sits in the water, growth on the cable itself make the cable difficult to move. You might be able to clean this growth. With the cable disconnected, you can see if the shifter itself can move up and down and engage forward, neutral and reverse. On my boat, marine growth can make it hard to shift into reverse if I don't use reverse regularly. Now I make sure I use all the gears on every trip. Good luck.

scrivs

Jul 14, 2008
Waialua
Name
John
Boat
Marlin 27/ Phoenix 29sfx
You're probably going to have to pull the boat to sort this out. When you take the cover off the shifter assembly (two screws), you can see what is going on. Often when the boat sits in the water, growth on the cable itself make the cable difficult to move. You might be able to clean this growth. With the cable disconnected, you can see if the shifter itself can move up and down and engage forward, neutral and reverse. On my boat, marine growth can make it hard to shift into reverse if I don't use reverse regularly. Now I make sure I use all the gears on every trip. Good luck.
Thanks Larry! My boat lives on a trailer, so maybe its just corrosion from sitting idle for so long. I'll be sure to peek inside the shifter assy to see whats going on.

grander007

May 10, 2007
Honolulu
Name
zzzz
Boat
46, Bertram, Deep Blue
Ha! Funny you say that, was a Rhode Islander that suggested the Ether (farming family). I'm from here though. If all else fails, I'll be sure to give Duane a call. Thanks!:hali_olutta:
yeah - that stuff will start an engine quick fast but got to be very careful w/it - I would not use it on my engine - highly flamable and highly explosive! http://www.dsnc.biz/diesel_facts.html

scrivs

Jul 14, 2008
Waialua
Name
John
Boat
Marlin 27/ Phoenix 29sfx
yeah - that stuff will start an engine quick fast but got to be very careful w/it - I would not use it on my engine - highly flamable and highly explosive! http://www.dsnc.biz/diesel_facts.html
Yeah, it really seemed to start quickly with just a little sprayed into the turbos compressor wheel. So quick, it almost sounded like it was knocking (more than just diesel knock).

Dropper Loop

Hana hou!
Mar 9, 2011
Oahu
Name
Uncle B
Boat
24 Funai
Did you try taking the cover off the shifter in the leg and turning it manually? If it shifts into fwd, neutral, and reverse then it's only the cable. Sometimes you can disconnect the shifter cable from the leg, and spray penetrating oil into the cable to free it up while having someone shift in and out of gear from the helm. You should be able to see if the cable moves or not. If it don't move gotto replace the entire shifter cable.

Dropper Loop

Hana hou!
Mar 9, 2011
Oahu
Name
Uncle B
Boat
24 Funai
You can also check the shifter cable connection at the helm. Sometimes the c-clamp comes loose and there is nothing holding it in place. There is a groove on the cable where the clamp sits that keeps it from slipping.

DaveR

Feb 22, 2006
Irvine
Name
David
Boat
28' Skipjack
Most likely the shifter cables are old & shot...

Surhammer

Gaff Master
Jan 26, 2014
Big Sur, Monterey Bay, CA
Name
Surhammer
Boat
'84 Skipjack 24 with Pilothouse, Trident 13
I’m having the exact same issue. Boat on trailer, not even started or run in about 11 months. Used to shift effortlessly, now, won’t budge into forward or reverse. I had the outdrive in the up position this whole time.
lowered the drive down, ran water into my external hose connection on the side of the hull on my Skipjack 24, started pretty effortlessly, and will rev up nice with the shift release button pulled out, but when I push the shift lock button back in, and try forward or reverse, its totally locked. I don’t want to force anything.
What did your problem turn out to be, because it sounds identical to my same situation? I know this is a pretty old thread.

mullet

Metal Fabricator
Jan 10, 2006
San Fernando Valley
Name
Mike
Boat
19"Gregor
I’m having the exact same issue. Boat on trailer, not even started or run in about 11 months. Used to shift effortlessly, now, won’t budge into forward or reverse. I had the outdrive in the up position this whole time.
lowered the drive down, ran water into my external hose connection on the side of the hull on my Skipjack 24, started pretty effortlessly, and will rev up nice with the shift release button pulled out, but when I push the shift lock button back in, and try forward or reverse, its totally locked. I don’t want to force anything.
What did your problem turn out to be, because it sounds identical to my same situation? I know this is a pretty old thread.
Might take him awhile to get back to you .He hasn't logged in since last September .

Surhammer

Gaff Master
Jan 26, 2014
Name
Surhammer
Boat
Sorry for the delay. It was my shift cable that had seized up. Pulled the old one out from inside the transom, but the old one bent as I pulled it through. Any advise from putting in the new one? Is it easier pushing it in from the drive end? The shifter end, (straight part) of the cable is shorter than it is at the drive end of the cable and might go through the curved hose easier? Just posted another post with that question.

DBEB90A4-D0C8-41E8-B722-68805F3A1E61.jpeg

Surhammer

Gaff Master
Jan 26, 2014
Name
Surhammer
Boat
I think my cable froze up because I had my 280 drive in the up position for about 9 months. I think that happens sometimes. Hadn’t intended for it to sit like that for so long. Won’t do that again.