Volvo AD 41 Turbo Issues

Discussion in 'Boating Discussion' started by Nikki J, Apr 23, 2016.

1. Nikki J

Nikki J Member

Name:
    Todd
    Boat:
    26,Blackman OB,Nikki J
    Sorry gang. I just replied to an old thread and should have just started this new one. Anyway, After 16 years and 1500 hours I think it's time to replace my turbo on my Volvo Penta AD 41. Mine has stuck twice in its life, with March 2016 being the latest after not being used in a few months. I started getting water in my bilge and found it coming from a rusted and cracked exhaust elbow. I replaced that and on the first voyage with the new elbow my oil pressure light came on after running for a couple hours at various speeds. The bilge was full of oil which came out the dipstick tube. The dipstick was unsealed caused by the crankcase being pressurized. A mechanic told me the turbo has bushings that wear out and let air from the intake/pressure side of the turbo into the oil lines, thus pressurizing the crankcase (or it's a broken piston or piston ring). I replaced the air filter, oil filter and oil and ran the engine under a load at various speeds, testing the amount of pressure coming from the oil filler on the valve cover. There was no pressure worth mentioning at 3000 rpm and below. At full throttle (4000rpm) there was enough pressure that when I removed the oil cap, it spewed mistified oil and was very noticeable. The dipstick never unsealed, but I believe there is enough pressure that it will eventually. I put a larger 5/8" hose on the breather line and ran it into a bottle, tie-wrapped to the side of the engine, and plan to run with extra oil in case it happens again, until I get a chance to replace the turbo. Ugh!

2. zarco

zarco i got crabs on my dinghy!

Name:
    jason
    Boat:
    26` blackman billfisher,19.5' buccaneer center console.( from New Zealand)
    I have one.

3. Nikki J

Nikki J Member

Name:
    Todd
    Boat:
    26,Blackman OB,Nikki J
    Can you PM me details please?

4. zarco

Name:
    jason
    Boat:
    Fresh turbo. Ad41a have it for my Blackman. Just my spare.

5. zarco

Name:
    jason
    Boat:
    Instead of 6+ weeks to get yours done.im cool with swapping yours for mine.+ rebuild cost...( of course).

s//m_cinco likes this.
  6. s//m_cinco

s//m_cinco Member

Name:
    X
    Boat:
    X

Last edited: Feb 5, 2017