Kris K

Founder, Waypoint Industries Fishing Apparel
Apr 13, 2016
Pleasant hill
Name
Kristopher Kent
Boat
Filet Show II, Aquasport Explorer 225
Love this forum for the wealth of knowledge from the truly obsessed....im Narrowing down my next purchase.

I have been a shimano guy since my teenage years but also love my avets Penn's and accurates.

This class of reel (60-100 lb) is a new game to me.

What's the consensus on these two reels?

Reactions: locvetter
Upvote 0

Tehlulz

Almost A Member
Oct 16, 2016
San Diego
Name
D
Boat
Kencraft/Ocean Kayak
I do have Talicas but the smaller versions. I do like the ratios of the Penn better (but keep in mind I haven't held it, just judging from manufacturer specs). I opted for a Makaira instead due to cost, but the gear ratio seems about similar to the Penn

Upvote 0

ripped

I Should Upgrade My Account
  • Dec 5, 2007
    Santa Cruz
    Name
    Gary
    Boat
    Vagabond
    I changed out a friend’s VISX 16 from flush mount to harness rings and I can tell you it’s a wonderful reel. I like the feature of an adjustable max drag stop so you can fully adjust your settings to your preferences. These things have all the free spool you’ll ever need. The reel is far more user friendly when it comes to low gear to break the will of a stubborn fish.

Upvote 0

freegaff2

Aug 31, 2014
    Name
    Craig Simcox
    Boat
    none
    I liked my 16 and 20 so well on my Guadalupe trip that I am ordering another 16 for my son when he goes with me in Oct. Incredible freespool on both. I can't speak to other reels in this class, but I think Penn knocked this one out of the park...

Upvote 0

Kris K

Apr 13, 2016
    Pleasant hill
    Name
    Kristopher Kent
    Boat
    I've heard nothing but good things about the VISX reels. Very interested to hear how the Talica 20 compares. They have almost the same stats, though the talica is 4 oz lighter and higher gears. Also looks like the VISX16 has a slightly larger line capacity

Upvote 0

Bill W

tunaholic
  • Jan 12, 2006
    Chino Hills, Ca.
    Name
    Bill Walsh
    Boat
    Red Rooster
    The VISX has the most recent changes in design, like a thrust bearing. While i am sure the Talica is a very good reel, the Penn would be my choice. But to be honost I do not own either one.

Upvote 0

Lake

Mar 31, 2003
    Visalia, CA
    Name
    Blaine Lake
    Boat
    none
    In theory I own the VISX 16. Still waiting on its arrival. I have the 12 and 20 also. Like the feel, fit, and finish but haven’t used them yet. I still expect my Mak 16 to be my go to in that line class.

Upvote 0

Kris K

Apr 13, 2016
    Pleasant hill
    Name
    Kristopher Kent
    Boat
    "Talica - Old technology
    Penn - the latest & greatest technology"

Now theres a clear comparative review.

Thanks for the input so far folks.

Upvote 0

hhal

dum vivimus: Venite vivere!
    Dec 16, 2003
    Apple Valley CA
    Name
    Hal
    Boat
    if it floats, flies or phucks you rent it...
    Love this forum for the wealth of knowledge from the truly obsessed....im Narrowing down my next purchase.

I have been a shimano guy since my teenage years but also love my avets Penn's and accurates.

This class of reel (60-100 lb) is a new game to me.

What's the consensus on these two reels?
    When given a choice between 2 very similar items, I choose to purchase the item made in USA... Penn for me!

Upvote 0

JohnTFT

Insomniac
    Feb 11, 2007
    The "718"
    Name
    John
    Boat
    A big Steel One
    My knock on the Talica's for years is torque. They never seem to have enough. Short crank arms, tall gears. Not the best LR reel IMO.

The new Penn's are proving to be very good. The R&D Penn did coupled with a very long field testing protocol seems to be paying off.

Hardest thing right now is getting one!

Upvote 0

JohnnieB

SelFishAddiction
    May 16, 2016
    HereandThere
    Name
    JB
    Boat
    Unknown limits
    Not a fan of the Talica's, I would like to give the visx a try though, From what I've learned about the visx is that it really needs a longer handle. But I can't tell you that from a personal standpoint.

Upvote 0

Kris K

Apr 13, 2016
    Pleasant hill
    Name
    Kristopher Kent
    Boat
    Well due to a landslide of public opinion I ordered a VISX 16. I imagine it's more reel than ill need on a 4 day but i already have a Talica 12 in my arsenal and I'll feel more comfortable having a step up on board if we get a shot at big bluefin. Worst case scenario i can use it as an excuse to lengthen my trip next year or do a fly down trip

Upvote 0

Kris K

Apr 13, 2016
    Pleasant hill
    Name
    Kristopher Kent
    Boat
    Just got my VISX16. Super excited! Cant keep my hands off it. It's like im having an affair with my side chick in the garage. Changed out the flush mounts for harness lugs, now i have to spool it up. 80lb spectra or 100lb spectra? Seems it will fit plenty of either. My gut is telling me to go 80 as it will allow me to fish live bait on 50-80 lb leader more effectively. Also dropper loop ready?

Upvote 0

pascuale

• Aug 14, 2004
    San Diego
    Name
    Ethan
    Boat
    3rd world country panga fleet
    Just got my VISX16. Super excited! Cant keep my hands off it. It's like im having an affair with my side chick in the garage. Changed out the flush mounts for harness lugs, now i have to spool it up. 80lb spectra or 100lb spectra? Seems it will fit plenty of either. My gut is telling me to go 80 as it will allow me to fish live bait on 50-80 lb leader more effectively. Also dropper loop ready?
    Go with 100 braid and fish 80 leader or 60 if needed. Don't want to fill with 80 and be stuck fishing lighter leader if you run into something where its needed. Imo

Reactions: locvetter and RichG
    Upvote 0

pascuale

• Aug 14, 2004
    San Diego
    Name
    Ethan
    Boat
    Another option is 80lb spectra with approximitly 100' + of 100lb spectra. Splice

Yeah interesting. I was in Kens last year and bought a Mak 16 that had 50lb braid on it. I asked him to take it off and fill with 100. He said, "no, ill just splice it to the 50". He explained that theres really no need for the heavy line until that fish is straight up and down, so its important to have it on the top of the reel, but down on the bottom of the reel that fish will be out from the boat and you won't need the heavy line. Never really thought about it but makes sense. Really only need 100 yards or less of heavier line on top to grind that thing to the boat.

Upvote 0

ZZZZZ

I Post A Lot But I Can't Edit This
    Dec 11, 2003
    Name
    Boat
    Many many long rangers step splice for capacity and less line drag weight.The extreme pressure is near the fish. Most break offs occur close to the fish unless there is a bad spot in the line. A lot of anglers pack 100lb hollow and spice in 130lb hollow. Or 130lb hollow with a heavier splice. Or lower on the line lb scale

As the spool shrinks and the drag increases if I'm not going to get spooled I back the drag off a tad. And if the line did part from increased drag the break off will be closer to the fish more often then not. Hence increased line strength near the fish.

Also splicing in a higher diameter opens the door to fish one or two higher line classes then the lower lb backing below. With today's super reels and beefy drags

There is a reason why people don't pack 100lb hollow and then splice in 80lb hollow. I always see it the other way around.

But lots of options. My 298 and 283 was 100lb hollow with a 130lb hollow splice with a 130lb fluoro top shot. Once that 130lb hollow is on the reel time to drop the hammer.

Maybe one of the fishing scientist can chime in better like basil or john. If they have the time

Last edited:
    Upvote 0

pascuale

• Aug 14, 2004
    San Diego
    Name
    Ethan
    Boat
    Many many long rangers step splice for capacity and less line drag weight.The extreme pressure is near the fish. Most break offs occur close to the fish unless there is a bad spot in the line. A lot of anglers pack 100lb hollow and spice in 130lb hollow. Or 130lb hollow with a heavier splice. Or lower on the line lb scale

As the spool shrinks and the drag increases if I'm not going to get spooled I back the drag off a tad. And if the line did part from increased drag the break off will be closer to the fish more often then not. Hence increased line strength near the fish.

Also splicing in a higher diameter opens the door to fish one or two higher line classes then the lower lb backing below. With today's super reels and beefy drags

There is a reason why people don't pack 100lb hollow and then splice in 80lb hollow. I always see it the other way around.

But lots of options. My 298 and 283 was 100lb hollow with a 130lb hollow splice with a 130lb fluoro top shot. Once that 130lb hollow is on the reel time to drop the hammer.

Maybe one of the fishing scientist can chime in better like basil or john. If they have the time

Good info. Thanks!

Upvote 0