VISX 20 for 130 lb.?

hhal

dum vivimus: Venite vivere!
Dec 16, 2003
Apple Valley CA
Name
Hal
Boat
if it floats, flies or phucks you rent it...
I have the following reels set up to fish the following line sizes... VISX12 with 80lb hollow to fish 60lb, a 16 with 100 to fish 80 and a 20 with 100 to fish 100... I am considering bumping each of them up one line class, 12 fishing 80, 16 fishing 100 and the 20 fishing 130... yes or no? if not, why not?
thanks for the responses...
H

Upvote 0

tunanorth

I Post A Lot But I Can't Edit This
Dec 4, 2005
By the lake
Name
Tunanorth
Boat
Bass Tracker 16
The reels are up to it mechanically, and you could certainly do it, as long as the total yardage works for you.

Reactions: hhal
Upvote 0

BrianBurchfield

Almost A Member
  • Apr 26, 2018
    Irvine
    Name
    Brian Burchfield
    Boat
    22’ Trophy CC
    In general, you are good to go. Some will harp on capacity but you should get 600 yds of 130 on there. Some will harp on the gear ratio and say 4.1 is a bit high, but whatever.. You have nice pieces of gear.

Upvote 0

hhal

dum vivimus: Venite vivere!
    Dec 16, 2003
    Apple Valley CA
    Name
    Hal
    Boat
    if it floats, flies or phucks you rent it...
    In general, you are good to go. Some will harp on capacity but you should get 600 yds of 130 on there. Some will harp on the gear ratio and say 4.1 is a bit high, but whatever.. You have nice pieces of gear.
    the 20 will still utilize 100 lb spectra, it breaks at a lot more than 100 pounds and is perfectly adequate.
    My other option would be to buy a 30... but I don't think there is any mechanical difference between the 20 and 30 other than width... and perhaps a different drag cam (not totally sure on that... worse case I send it to Cal and have it hotrodded...)

Upvote 0

Tugboat64

I've posted enough I should edit this section
  • Sep 8, 2017
    La Mirada/Whittier
    Name
    Logan
    Boat
    Wanting a bigger boat
    I fish my international 20 as a 130 setup and its perfect. Heavier drag, (Less line) but less fight time. On top of that, I have had to substiute it for a kite reel beford and nailed a 289lb cow with it. I think the reels you mentioned, bumping them up would be no problem as long as you have the rods to match them.

Upvote 0

CrustyOne

Legend in my own mind
    Mar 7, 2017
    Back in SoCal
    Name
    Crusty
    Boat
    minidrifter
    I have Berkeley ProSpec 130lb solid on my VISX 20. Several Fish over 100 on it, no problem with capacity. 🤷‍♂️

Upvote 0

jowo

I Should Upgrade My Account
  • Jul 9, 2004
    Woodland Hills
    Name
    Johnny
    Boat
    Sold
    If you fish short topshots, you can also switch them out quickly and easily while on a trip if you need to or want to.

Upvote 0