visiting NZ May 2015. offshore suggestions?

bobby7321

I've posted enough I should edit this section
Aug 6, 2008
Visalia, CA
Name
Bobby
Boat
10' jon boat
So I'm taking the old man to chase some stags and Tahr with the Telfords in early May 2015. Looking to maybe get in some offshore fishing while we are there. Suggestions on charters and what type of fish will be around? We'll be in Wanaka but don't might going a little out if the way for some good fishing.

Thanks

Willy'Z

Well-Known "Member"
Apr 11, 2005
Anaheim
Name
Ricky
Boat
27' Fish Nautique
Get on board the "Pursuit" out of Whakatane. The skippers name is Rick Pollock, ex Diego skipper. Great skipper, puts ya on the fish. Make time to shoot and fish in and around Rotorua. Hit up Dennis Ward. No better!

Cheers,

Ricky

DavidM

Well-Known "Member"
Feb 26, 2006
Orewa, New Zealand
Name
Dave
Boat
Warrick 44 Sportfisher
That time of year is tough for salt water fishing. A bit later and you could have targeted some of the huge Bluefin Tuna they get down that way, or a bit earlier and you could have gone north and chased some Marlin. Plenty of good fly fishing for trout in the South Island, but if you want to chase any decent salt water species you need to be in the northern half of the North Island. If you are flying in/out of Auckland and have a couple of days spare I can give you some names to contact to chase 50lb+ Yellowtail Kingfish, or for a more serious adventure do a 5 day liveaboard trip to remote islands for marlin, kingfish, bass, groper etc.